PDA

View Full Version : Maundy Thursday

FlaGator
04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Global Warming? Yesterday set a record for the coldest April day ever in Northeast Florida. It got to freezing in many areas. Today the highs will be in the low seventies and tomorrow they will be in the low eights. Nice clear and beautiful today

TOTD: Well today is Maundy Thursday in many Christian denominations and a day we remember that Jesus came to the world to serve and not be served. As an example of this he washed the feet of his disciples in an effort to show that a true fruit of the spirit was service to our fellow man. Shameless plug here but I have a small write up on my blog (http://anotherpilgrim.com/blog) if you're interested in reading my thoughts on the subject.

At any rate, leaving any theological implications out of this but keeping with the spirit of the day, what do you do to be of service to your fellow man or to society in general? Do you have any volunteer activities you do. Are there any small acts of kindness that you have performed for no other reason than to help someone or something else out? I volunteer at a food bank that serves Jacksonville. I also help out with a charity called 'World Outreach' (http://www.stpetersjax.org/worldoutreach/) that provides clothing, food, medical services and if desired spiritual help and counseling. I also volunteer a lot of my free time to the church I attend. I design and maintain their web site (www.stpetersjax.org), keep their computer networks running and upgraded with the most current software and basically do what ever little tasks that they need me to do. I have also just started designing and web sites for several missionary teams in Central America. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here but I try to give a lot of my free time to those who need it since it seem more productive that sitting around watching Oprah and Dr. Phil.

movie buff
04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
TOTD: When I have time, I help out with soup kitchens and other charitable actions in the church. Also, when I am in Orlando, I try and keep a little food with me in my car that I can give to any homeless people I find as I go on my errands. I listened to the Monk & Neagle song 'The 21st Time' enough times that I realized as a Christian, I needed to put that song's message into practice in my own life.

Gingersnap
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
It might rain today which we need. We had some people over after work to admire Mr. Snaps' stonework. They are contemplating doing something similar themselves.

TOTD: I have stopped setting public property on fire and getting blind drunk before before 10:00 a.m. I believe in doing what I can for the benefit of the wider community. :p

linda22003
04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
and getting blind drunk before before 10:00 a.m. I believe in doing what I can for the benefit of the wider community. :p

I have my doubts.

Gingersnap
04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I have my doubts.

I'm on Mountain Standard Time. It's an understandable mistake. :p

FlaGator
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm on Mountain Standard Time. It's an understandable mistake. :p

It's after 10:00 a.m. somewhere.

PoliCon
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
TOTD - lets see . . . .

I raise funds for my churches elementary school - and to build schools in Kenya - we've built 12 so far that educate thousands . . .

I am responsible for a before school program that gives local kids a place to pray - scripture - and a light meal before school during the school year. . .

Support and raise funds for missionary teams in: Brazil, Kenya, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Israel, India, here domestically - as well as orphanges in India and Brazil . . . .

Help with an anual homless drive every Valentines day . . .

Raise fund for the purpose of building a retirement home for missionaries . . .

Organize and exicute an annual mothersday banquet for local mothers . . .

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

BadCat
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Even though this is a day thread, it's FlaGator's, so I'll respond.

I think people are capable of helping themselves, so I do nothing to help them.

I do volunteer for the Sheriffs Posse, participate in a program to get kids interested in math, science and engineering, and I donate significantly to homeless animal shelters.

djones520
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
TOTD: I donate a portion of my paycheck to the Air Force Aid Society. I also volunteer at the Airmans Attic (AF's version of a Goodwill)on occasion to help them sort donations and the like. I'm currently trying to get some free time so I can get involved with the Kiwanis Club in the area. There's probably more I can be doing, but I do like to have my own life as well. And between work and family it gets pretty busy.

PoliCon
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Even though this is a day thread, it's FlaGator's, so I'll respond.

I think people are capable of helping themselves, so I do nothing to help them.

I do volunteer for the Sheriffs Posse, participate in a program to get kids interested in math, science and engineering, and I donate significantly to homeless animal shelters.
Oh fun - help the animals -fuck the people.:rolleyes: Are you sure you're not a leftist? :p

BadCat
04-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh fun - help the animals -fuck the people.:rolleyes: Are you sure you're not a leftist? :p

Yes, I'm sure.

What's wrong with not liking people? Most of them have very little to like, and they have, at least, the "capacity" to help themselves.

Bubba Dawg
04-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I went to a Maundy Thursday service last night. Very good service. There was a special offering for needy people, especially people in the county who have lost their jobs.

I do trail work for hiking trails in the county. Usually the Appalachian Trail has plenty of volunteers so I help clear state park trails and USFS trails. My full time work is dealing with disabled people so I like to avoid most such 'people contact' in my off hours. The woods do me good.

Other than that, I give to organizations like Habitat for Humanity, etc.