PDA

View Full Version : 3 STRIKES AT VATICAN (Vatican keeps rejecting Obama ambassador picks)

megimoo
04-10-2009, 12:21 AM
The Vatican has quietly rejected at least three of President Obama's candidates to serve as U.S. ambassador to the Holy See because they support abortion, and the White House might be running out of time to find an acceptable envoy before Mr. Obama travels to Rome in July, when he hopes to meet Pope Benedict XVI.

"The informal dismissal of the first names whispered in the Obama inner circle is a signal," Mr. Franco, a columnist with Corriere della Sera (Evening Courier), told Embassy Row in e-mail.

He said the Vatican recognized that a foreign nation is free to appoint the ambassador of its choice but that the pope is free to reject a proposed envoy if he believes the candidate would "fail to improve relations" with the Catholic city-state.

Mr. Franco, who has close connections at the Vatican, added that the rejection of the Obama candidates "would suggest that, at least so far, none of the potential Democratic diplomats were considered fit to 'improve relations' with the Holy See."

Neither the Vatican Embassy in Washington nor the White House would comment Monday on the appointment of a new U.S. ambassador.

Mr. Franco - whose new book, "Parallel Empires: The Vatican and the U.S.," explores U.S.-Vatican relations over the past 200 years - said Mr. Obama's predicament underscores a deeper problem the Vatican has with the Democratic Party and its pro-choice positions on abortion.

He also noted that the lack of a U.S. ambassador "could become embarrassing" for the White House, if the position remains unfilled when Mr. Obama attends a summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations in Italy in July. The White House is trying to arrange a time before or after the summit for Mr. Obama to meet the pope.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/07/embassy-row-7410554/

cat714
04-10-2009, 04:11 AM
This is a no-brainer, but I don't expect this administration to do anything right. I thought Zero was going to have the best and the brightest working for him, but we are talking democratic standards.

linda22003
04-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm honestly not sure why we HAVE an ambassador to the Vatican.

CueSi
04-10-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm thinking technicality, and Vatican City is considered a separate country.

Since we have one, the least we can do is nominate someone who at least jibes with the RCC on abortion. It's kinda rude not to.

Heck, my taxes are clean and I'm pro-life. I may be Protestant, but I think Benedict would accept me quicker than whomever has been sent to him so far.

~QC

ReaganForRus
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM

The Vatican represents over 2 billion Roman Catholics and is of enormous influence world wide.

PoliCon
04-10-2009, 12:52 PM

We have ambassadors to most every sovereign independent nation. Vatican City is a sovereign independent nation. Why would the Vatican be any different? :confused:

linda22003
04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
The Vatican represents over 2 billion Roman Catholics and is of enormous influence world wide.

Right, politics. How could I forget?