PDA

View Full Version : Ship Captain Rescued From Somali Pirates

Zathras
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Ship Captain Rescued From Somali Pirates (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514719,00.html)

Sunday, April 12, 2009 American sea Captain Richard Phillips was safely rescued Sunday from four Somali pirates, who had been holding him for days in a lifeboat off the coast of Africa, a U.S. intelligence official said.

Three of the pirates were killed and one was in custody after what appeared to be a swift firefight off the Somali coast, the official said.

Initial reports indicate Phillips jumped overboard for a second time and the military was able to take advantage of the situation.

Phillips, 53, of Underhill, Vt., was transported to the USS Bainbridge nearby.

The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity

Outstanding...BZ to all involved in the rescue!!!!!

SarasotaRepub
04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I would have loved to have seen the face of the fourth "Pirate...aarrgh matey"
when they told the loser his buddies were fish food.:D

SarasotaRepub
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Congrats to the Obama Administration for finally doing what needed to be done.

linda22003
04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Apparently the standing orders were to fire if it looked like the hostage's life was in danger. We simply didn't know what the orders were in real time, nor should they have been made public. I'm so glad about the outcome of this. :D

Sonnabend
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Congrats to the Obama Administration for finally doing what needed to be done.

OBummer had nothing to do with it, he was not involved and the snivelling coward was still dithering when the local commander executed his standing orders and did what had to be done.

“The standing authority gave them clearance to engage the pirates if the life of the captain was in imminent danger. The on scene commander deemed this to be true and gave the order to fire. All three bad guys were taken out and then a rigid inflatable boat went to the lifeboat to retrieve Phillips.”

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2009/04/how-the-rescue-happened.html

Then Obummer makes a statement saying the US needs help to deal with pirates.

megimoo
04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
OBummer had nothing to do with it, he was not involved and the snivelling coward was still dithering when the local commander executed his standing orders and did what had to be done.

Then Obummer makes a statement saying the US needs help to deal with pirates.Looks like Navy Seal snipers from Bainbridge took the pirates out .They killed three and captured one.Nubnuts missed his big chance to be an American hero !

megimoo
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Navy Frees Captive U.S. Cargo Ship Captain Phillips (Update5)

"And all the while Obummer was looking for Easter edgs and playing with his puppy !"

"The pirates were shot by snipers aboard the destroyer USS Bainbridge, which was 25 to 30 meters away
from the lifeboat .

""30 meters = about 33 yards "At that range The Seal Snippers,three shooters three exploding heads . They were just about in the boat with the pirates ."

(Bloomberg) -- U.S. Navy forces freed Richard Phillips, the American cargo-ship captain held by pirates off the coast of Somalia, killing three of his captors and taking one into custody, the Navy said.

The Navy acted today because Phillips’s life appeared to be threatened by pirates who were pointing weapons at him, Vice Admiral Bill Gortney, the commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, said during a teleconference with reporters from Bahrain.

“His life was in danger because the pirates were armed with AK-47s and had smaller-caliber pistols, and they were pointing the AK-47s at the captain,” Gortney said.

The pirates were shot by snipers aboard the destroyer USS Bainbridge, which was 25 to 30 meters away from the lifeboat where Phillips was being held, Gortney said. Phillips was tied up in the lifeboat, he said.

“We pay a lot for their training,” Gortney said of the snipers. “We got a good return on their investment tonight.”

President Barack Obama had given standing orders for a rescue effort if Phillips’s life was in danger, Gortney said.

Obama said in a statement that “I share the country’s admiration for the bravery of Captain Phillips and his selfless concern for his crew. His courage is a model for all Americans.”

After being rescued unharmed, Phillips was first taken to the Bainbridge, then flown to the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer, where the Navy said he contacted his family and was resting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aj.7xFLvuiA0&refer=worldwide

Zathras
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
And from what I understand, the 4th pirate is not dead because, at the time of the rescue, he was onboard USS Bainbridge negotiating with the FBI for the hostage's release. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall in there when it went down just to see the face of the pirate as they arrested him.

Sonnabend
04-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Many years ago in Beirut, the terrs were grabbing people off the street and using them as hostages and bargaining chips.The following was told to me and I cannot verify its truth...but it would have been extremely effective.

One day they grabbed a Russian.

So the KGB grabbed one of theirs...and started sending him back to his friends...one finger at a time.

After two days the hostage was released with what appeared to be an apology, and to this day NO ONE has messed with the Russians.

No one.

natepiano
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Many years ago in Beirut, the terrs were grabbing people off the street and using them as hostages and bargaining chips.The following was told to me and I cannot verify its truth...but it would have been extremely effective.

So the KGB grabbed one of theirs...and started sending him back to his friends...one finger at a time.

After two days the hostage was released with what appeared to be an apology, and to this day NO ONE has messed with the Russians.

No one.

I actually heard that too. I read it in a Tom Clancy book, which doesn't necessarily mean that it is correct, but definitely makes a good point. The only way to deal with terrorism is through force. Someone who has already committed to action that would harm another human being already has made up their mind, and is not waiting to see if you approve or not.

PoliCon
04-13-2009, 01:08 AM

No one.I would definitely make a thinking man PAUSE . . . .Not that I believe that these people think all that much . . .

JB
04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
OBummer
Then ObummerHis name is President Obama.

tacitus
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
His name is President Obama.

Actually his name is Barack Hussein Obama II, president is a title he currently enjoys.

hazlnut
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Then Obummer makes a statement saying the US needs help to deal with pirates.

I like what Bernie Goldberg said to Sean Hannity about not going out of our way to find fault with every single thing Obama does.

When left-leaning media went after Bush on nit-picky semantics, they lost credibility IMO.

I'm glad Capt. Phillips was rescued. This is a good thing. So what if it was textbook SOP. The Navy SEALs did an outstanding job, and a man goes home safely to his family.