PDA

View Full Version : Gotta give credit where it's due...........

Rebel Yell
04-13-2009, 10:46 AM
President Obama made a liar out of me. I thought in no way would we take out the pirates. I was pleasantly suprised when I heard the news of snipers taking out the pirates. Good job, Mr. President.

Wonder how his base feels about the use of deadly force, instead of more negotiating? Sherryl Crow is sad somewhere today.

FlaGator
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is a link to the story.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514719,00.html

Navy SEAL snipers on the fantail of a destroyer cut down three Somali pirates in a lifeboat and rescued an American sea captain on Easter Sunday. The surprise nighttime assault in choppy seas ended a five-day standoff between a team of rogue gunmen and the world's most powerful military.

It was a stunning conclusion to an Indian Ocean odyssey that began when freighter Capt. Richard Phillips, 53, was taken hostage Wednesday by pirates who tried to hijack the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama. The Vermont native was held on a tiny lifeboat that began drifting precariously toward Somalia's anarchic, gun-plagued shores.

enslaved1
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I must admit I was quite shocked to see an article say that he quietly signed the order allowing force (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_pirates_analysis) if needed. However, any money on it being kept quiet so as to not disturb the moonbat base too hard?

Zathras
04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I must admit I was quite shocked to see an article say that he quietly signed the order allowing force (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_pirates_analysis) if needed. However, any money on it being kept quiet so as to not disturb the moonbat base too hard?

Nope, it was kept quiet so the news media wouldn't blab about it and ruin the surprise.

linda22003
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I would guess it was kept quiet in order not to reveal too much about the mission before the fact.

natepiano
04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I would guess it was kept quiet in order not to reveal too much about the mission before the fact.

shhh ... we are trying to be anti-Obama here! Stop stifling us with your common sense!

In all honesty, I do believe that he signed that order because he couldn't afford not to. If news came out that he didn't at least have plans to protect that man, and he died, Obama would lose a whole ton of face. Given that his whole new "New Deal" depends on the public support that he currently enjoys, he wouldn't be willing to lose that at the expense of a few dead pirates.

I know, I'm all kinds of pessimistic, aren't I?

linda22003
04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm as concerned as anyone about how much Obama needs to learn "on the job", but this one seems impossible to second guess. Of COURSE you take out the pirates in order to save the captain.

Rebel Yell
04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm as concerned as anyone about how much Obama needs to learn "on the job", but this one seems impossible to second guess. Of COURSE you take out the pirates in order to save the captain.

Either that or let it be known that anyone sailing in those waters are responsible for their own defense. Honestly, I don't care which.

lacarnut
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM

That plus the fact if it turned out badly, he could say I inherited this piracy problem from Bush which is not too far from the truth. The US should maintain air power in that region and blow a couple of these rafts along with the perps into Muslim heaven. That would stop these hijackers.

linda22003
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Either that or let it be known that anyone sailing in those waters are responsible for their own defense. Honestly, I don't care which.

Cruise ships stopped using this route some time ago. Commercial cargo ships need to use it, and I would hope they could move in convoys to help deflect the threat.

Rebel Yell
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Cruise ships stopped using this route some time ago. Commercial cargo ships need to use it, and I would hope they could move in convoys to help deflect the threat.

Or they could arm the shit out of themselves and kill anyone who tries to board.

Mythic
04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Well at least we know that Obama will use some common sense...I doubt it will become a habit though.

MrsSmith
04-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Or they could arm the shit out of themselves and kill anyone who tries to board.

The recent rise in Somali piracy confuses me. It confuses me because I cannot imagine entering waters near the coast of Africa without enough firepower to arm a small third-world nation. (http://townhall.com/columnists/MikeAdams/2009/04/13/the_solution_to_somali_piracy)

FlaGator
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
shhh ... we are trying to be anti-Obama here! Stop stifling us with your common sense!

In all honesty, I do believe that he signed that order because he couldn't afford not to. If news came out that he didn't at least have plans to protect that man, and he died, Obama would lose a whole ton of face. Given that his whole new "New Deal" depends on the public support that he currently enjoys, he wouldn't be willing to lose that at the expense of a few dead pirates.

I know, I'm all kinds of pessimistic, aren't I?

We aren't anti-Obama (at least I'm not) I believe we are pro 'do the right thing'.

hazlnut
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
We were in AZ when this went down. I remember hearing about it in the AM and then again in the evening, but not much had changed. I turned to my son and said "How long does it take the SEALs to get there?" (he watches the Military Channel all the time, so I thought he might know). He did tell me the exact type of rifle the snipers would use--which I thought was impressive. (of course, if he put half as much effort into French...)

I'm glad everyone is safe.