PDA

View Full Version : Ahmadinnerjacket

patriot45
07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Whoo hoo, The crazy Iranian is showing off his first lady! What a babe!
Here is the link, if you can read Gibberish (http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/dunya/9295037.asp?gid=229&sz=72299)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/5884980.jpg

linda22003
07-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Interesting that even in Turkish they use "first lady". :) Just because you don't understand a language, it doesn't make it gibberish.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
How do we know that's even a human woman under there? It could be a camel or something. :confused:

biccat
07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/south13side/hitthat3times9nc.jpg

jendf
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Did anyone watch last week's Last Comic Standing? A comedian did a couple of jokes about what Mardi Gras would be like in the Middle East. Guys yelling from the balcony, "Show us your nose! C'mon, both nostrils!"

That picture made me think of that. :D

linda22003
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Ugh! Jen! Change that signature line! :(

patriot45
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Interesting that even in Turkish they use "first lady". :) Just because you don't understand a language, it doesn't make it gibberish.

I understood the part where they wrote "First Lady"!
I understand English, the rest are gibberish! Except food words in Italian!!

linda22003
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
That was my TOTD yesterday, what other languages people here can use fluently. I don't understand only knowing one language, and I don't understand the propensity some Americans have for being PROUD of only knowing one language.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
That was my TOTD yesterday, what other languages people here can use fluently. I don't understand only knowing one language, and I don't understand the propensity some Americans have for being PROUD of only knowing one language.

If you are never going to travel outside the country and you have no interest in reading literature or research, knowing another language is simply unnecessary. It is an accomplishment akin to ballroom dancing.

Studying a language can improve your own English skills a great deal but there are plenty of people with excellent English skills who aren't fluent in another language. The effort is helpful but not required.

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
If you are never going to travel outside the country and you have no interest in reading literature or research, knowing another language is simply unnecessary. It is an accomplishment akin to ballroom dancing.

Studying a language can improve your own English skills a great deal but there are plenty of people with excellent English skills who aren't fluent in another language. The effort is helpful but not required.

:eek: My God! Why would you purposely intend never to travel outside of your own country? :eek:

lacarnut
07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/south13side/hitthat3times9nc.jpg

With a telephone pole:eek::)

linda22003
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
:eek: My God! Why would you purposely intend never to travel outside of your own country? :eek:

That makes NO sense at all.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Gingersnap;14922]If you are never going to travel outside the country and you have no interest in reading literature or research, knowing another language is simply unnecessary. It is an accomplishment akin to ballroom dancing.

QUOTE]

Why was the study of foreign languages required by schools back in the day when people traveled abroad far less than they do now?

Goldwater
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
That picture just looks wrong.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Because you have dependents and a low income, because you own a farm and you can't leave it for that length of time, because you have no interest in travel, because your discretionary income is earmarked for something else or just because.

There are many millions of people who never cross a border and aren't aching to do so. While there are benefits to travel in an educational sense, those benefits are actually declining with globalization.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
There are many millions of people who never cross a border and aren't aching to do so. While there are benefits to travel in an educational sense, those benefits are actually declining with globalization.

I can understand why some people are not able to travel. I don't understand the comment about the benefits of travel "actually declining with globalization", though.

lacarnut
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Because you have dependents and a low income, because you own a farm and you can't leave it for that length of time, because you have no interest in travel, because your discretionary income is earmarked for something else or just because.

Most of those EU travelers have not seen all the wonderful sights in this beautiful country. I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I can understand why some people are not able to travel. I don't understand the comment about the benefits of travel "actually declining with globalization", though.

One interpretation could be that the influence of globalization is making the world a bit of a cookie-cutter so that one place is like another. In some ways the US is like that. Why would anyone, for example, want to visit Jacksonville, FL or San Diego, CA, as they're made up of the same malls, with the same shops, selling the same goods.

noonwitch
07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Most of those EU travelers have not seen all the wonderful sights in this beautiful country. I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.

One of my friends went to France and said that the people outside of Paris are very friendly to american tourists. It's just in Paris that they are obnoxious.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Because opportunities to interact with other cultures, both virtual and IRL, are increasing everyday within the borders of many countries. It's possible to sample completely authentic foods, entertainments, and events without ever leaving home. I can at any time relax in a Russian steam bath, eat Moroccan food, view a traditional Thai storyteller, observe several types of Buddhist ceremonies, and learn North African spinning techniques from a North African and I live in Colorado!

The other side of this coin is that urban centers are increasingly more similar than different around the world. You see the same clothes, hear the same music, eat the same food you could get at home, and shop for the same merchandise. Needless to say, English is spoken almost everywhere.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.

Then you should definitely not go there. You wouldn't be a good advertisement for Americans.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 12:09 PM
One of my friends went to France and said that the people outside of Paris are very friendly to american tourists. It's just in Paris that they are obnoxious.

I've been to Paris several times, and people have always been nice to me. People treat you as they are treated, and that is true everywhere. Of course, you have to at least try to communicate on their terms. Amazingly enough, SHOUTING in English is not the next step up in understanding, from speaking in English. :p

lacarnut
07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Then you should definitely not go there. You wouldn't be a good advertisement for Americans.

If I want the French experience, I can travel to Cajun country in south Louisiana where the happiest people on earth live and the best food is found. Plus it's not overpriced. You should try it sometimes. Of course, American elitist snobs would not be a good advertisement in that part of the country. BTW, if architecture is your thing, there are a lot of sights there.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I have been in the bayou areas of Louisiana and enjoyed it very much. It's curious that you think one would have to like one or the other, but could not enjoy both experiences.

lacarnut
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I have been in the bayou areas of Louisiana and enjoyed it very much. It's curious that you think one would have to like one or the other, but could not enjoy both experiences.

My problem with France is not the sights but the people. Too many anti-Americans for me which is true of other EU countries.

linda22003
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
When I was in Paris last year, people were very polite and friendly to me, and if they were anti-American they showed no indication of it on a personal level. However, when we were in Stockholm the previous year, a man sitting next to us in the bar at the Opera demanded to know "what we were going to do about our president". I said as jovially as I could that there was an election coming up, and something would be done about it then. I'm sorry to see that America's stock has gone down so far in the world, but I think it would be better restored under McCain than Obama.

biccat
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
My problem with France is not the sights but the people. Too many anti-Americans for me which is true of other EU countries.
You're confusing Paris with France.

When I was in Paris, the people were generally inconsiderate. I'm still not sure if it is because Paris is just a large city, or because its residents are just jerks.

The rest of France, however, is beautiful, and worth the trip. The drive from Paris to Germany is wonderful, and the people of rural France are very nice and welcoming.

Maybe that's why so many Germans have done it in the past... :D

Goldwater
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
France was a good country for me, Paris (like New York) has that capital of the country private vibe, but it's still a great country. You get to the rural areas and you're having dinner with them and player poker in inns. :D

ConJinx
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
what I find curious is that our leaders spend more time with other nations. Explore you back yard, and all its splendor, then jump the fence and look where your neighbors are hiding the bodies.

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
France was a good country for me, Paris (like New York) has that capital of the country private vibe, but it's still a great country. You get to the rural areas and you're having dinner with them and player poker in inns. :D

Denizens of large cities, such as Paris, NYC, London, or Hong Kong, always seem to outsiders to be rude as, dealing as they do at a faster pace with larger numbers, they tend to suffer fools less graciously. Parisians think -- shock, shock -- that if you're in their city, attempting to conduct business or to see the sites, you should speak their language. Believe me, Americans think the same thing. I've seen many, many Americans act rudely when someone approaches them speaking a foreign language.

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
what I find curious is that our leaders spend more time with other nations. Explore you back yard, and all its splendor, then jump the fence and look where your neighbors are hiding the bodies.

Before he became de Prez, I'm not sure if Georgie had ever left North America. :confused: Anyone remember?

linda22003
07-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Untrue, CW.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702619.html

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Untrue, CW.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702619.html

Thanks, Linda. As I indicated, I couldn't remember exactly. It's odd they don't mention any travel to Europe.

on edit: D'oh. Never mind, they do. It just wasn't a hyperlink.

biccat
07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Parisians think -- shock, shock -- that if you're in their city, attempting to conduct business or to see the sites, you should speak their language. Believe me, Americans think the same thing.
Many Americans do, Congress doesn't.