PDA

View Full Version : Tea Parties Gain Steam - MSM Mostly Clueless.

Gingersnap
04-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Tea Party Society sets Tax Day protest

It will be like 1773 without the tri-cornered hats in Houston, elsewhere
By RENÉE C. LEE HOUSTON CHRONICLE
April 13, 2009, 11:37PM

The women huddled in the corner of the Panera Bread restaurant on a recent Friday looked like friends catching up on their busy lives over a late lunch than revolutionaries planning a tax revolt.

Felicia Cravens and her friends call themselves the Houston Tea Party Society, part of a national movement in which thousands of people in cities across the country plan to stage Tax Day Tea Parties on Wednesday to protest the federal government’s billion-dollar economic stimulus packages and bailouts for the banking and auto industries. Tea parties are planned for nearly a dozen cities in the Houston area, including Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Friendswood and Pearland.

The rallies take their names from the Boston Tea Party, the 1773 event in which colonists dumped tea into the Boston Harbor to protest taxes imposed by the British monarchy.

That is how many people today feel about government spending policies that have racked up trillions of dollars in debt, local organizers said.

“The message to the politicians is, we want them to repeal the ridiculous spending and the out-of -control financial shenanigans or we’re going to retire them,” said Cravens, a Katy resident and part-time teacher.

Cravens said she got the idea to organize a Houston tea party while chatting on social networks with other conservatives energized by CNBC reporter Rick Santelli’s televised rant on the Chicago Trading Floor on Feb. 17. Santelli was cheered on by traders as he railed against the government for subsidizing bad mortgages for people who could not afford to buy the homes.

She quickly connected with others who shared her views about the current administration’s policies and in six days organized a rally that drew about 500 people to Discovery Green Park on Feb. 27, the same day similar protests took place in more than 40 cities nationwide.

Cravens said she expects as many as 3,000 people to attend Wednesday’s rally.

The silence is deafening out here. The Denver Post hasn't mentioned anything about this but they are the very first to bray from the rooftops if 5 illegal aliens protest private property laws or when 3 old bags wave a few signs outside a shopping mall to protest the war. :rolleyes:

Chron (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6372257.html)

Milly
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
It doesn't really matter how many thousands show up for the rallies. The MSM will only cover them if some ACORN infiltrator manages to create a disturbance in the otherwise peaceful protests.

BTW,I wonder how many people would have to be there for the MSM to be forced to recognize the rallies?

hazlnut
04-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Has anyone come across a penny-by-penny breakdown of what our 2009 vs. 2010 tax dollar is going to?

I'd be interested in see how different they really are? -- The differences may be substantial, I don't know-- everything has been thrown out of whack by the various bailouts and stimulus etc.

I'm not as concerned about more money going to unemployment (via the stimulus package) for the next year--I think that's appropriate for a short period, however those state run programs can get out of hand--spending wise.

My understanding is that the capital gains taxes and death taxes won't be rolled back until next year-- is this correct? What kind of increase in tax revenue are they expecting--since hedge funds and big private investors haven't been having a stellar year?

What kind of increase in tax revenue are they expecting with a 3% raise in the upper income brackets? If they just left those rates alone, would the top earners reinvest, spend on goods/services, or save?

I'm still digging around for all this info--just trying to get better informed, ask questions etc.

Full-Auto
04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I took the day off work tomorrow and I'm heading down to Indianapolis tomorrow with the wife in tow to take part in our Tea Party.

Pictures to follow tomorrow night!

REMEMBER 1773!