PDA

View Full Version : NJ to Require Young Drivers to Display Stickers on Vehicles

AHeneen
04-16-2009, 03:26 AM
N.J. to Require Decals to Identify New, Young Drivers

TRENTON, N.J. | Would you drive any differently if you knew there was a teenager behind the wheel of the car in front of you?

You might find out soon. A first-in-the-nation law in New Jersey will require new drivers 21 and younger to display identifying decals on their vehicles.

Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law Wednesday; it takes effect next year.

The decals will probably be small reflective rectangles attached to the front and rear license plates to help police enforce restrictions on probationary drivers, motor vehicle officials said.

Police will use them to determine whether teens are violating the state driving curfew and passenger restrictions, said Pam Fischer, director of the New Jersey Division of Highway Safety. Authorities will not use the decals to target young drivers or pull them over for no reason, she said.

The decals are long overdue and will save lives, said Ron Gesualdo, owner of Gene's Driving School in Matawan.

"The parents are for it," he said. "The kids don't say anything, but you know what they're thinking."

One of those kids thinks the decals will only mean more trouble for teenagers.

"That's going to mean police are going to be bothering us even more," said Tebvon Mcneil, 18, of Paterson. "They see that sticker on the car, they're just going to be pulling us over for no reason. Are there drugs in the car? That's the first thing they're going to think, because we're teenagers."

[snip]

Officials are considering using Velcro to attach the decals, so they can be removed by other drivers using the same car.

"It will probably be nondescript and simple, and the public at large is probably not even going to notice it," Fischer said.

The decals were among a slew of new driving restrictions Corzine signed for young adults with probationary licenses, which allow them drive unsupervised under certain conditions.

Other restrictions include changing the driving curfew to 11 p.m. from midnight; allowing only one other teenager in the car; and banning the use of cell phones, even hands-free ones.

[snip]

http://www.theledger.com/article/20090415/NEWS/904155035/1410?Title=N-J-to-Require-Decals-to-Identify-New-Young-Drivers#

I thought California was supposed to be the nanny state?

SarasotaRepub
04-16-2009, 07:58 AM
N.J. to Require Decals to Identify New, Young Drivers

TRENTON, N.J. | Would you drive any differently if you knew there was a teenager behind the wheel of the car in front of you?

You might find out soon. A first-in-the-nation law in New Jersey will require new drivers 21 and younger to display identifying decals on their vehicles.

Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law Wednesday; it takes effect next year.

The decals will probably be small reflective rectangles attached to the front and rear license plates to help police enforce restrictions on probationary drivers, motor vehicle officials said.

Police will use them to determine whether teens are violating the state driving curfew and passenger restrictions, said Pam Fischer, director of the New Jersey Division of Highway Safety. Authorities will not use the decals to target young drivers or pull them over for no reason, she said.

The decals are long overdue and will save lives, said Ron Gesualdo, owner of Gene's Driving School in Matawan.

"The parents are for it," he said. "The kids don't say anything, but you know what they're thinking."

One of those kids thinks the decals will only mean more trouble for teenagers.

"That's going to mean police are going to be bothering us even more," said Tebvon Mcneil, 18, of Paterson. "They see that sticker on the car, they're just going to be pulling us over for no reason. Are there drugs in the car? That's the first thing they're going to think, because we're teenagers."

[snip]

Officials are considering using Velcro to attach the decals, so they can be removed by other drivers using the same car.

"It will probably be nondescript and simple, and the public at large is probably not even going to notice it," Fischer said.

The decals were among a slew of new driving restrictions Corzine signed for young adults with probationary licenses, which allow them drive unsupervised under certain conditions.

Other restrictions include changing the driving curfew to 11 p.m. from midnight; allowing only one other teenager in the car; and banning the use of cell phones, even hands-free ones.

[snip]

http://www.theledger.com/article/20090415/NEWS/904155035/1410?Title=N-J-to-Require-Decals-to-Identify-New-Young-Drivers#

I thought California was supposed to be the nanny state?

Another stupid idea that will be next to impossible to enforce but will "Feel Good"
to certain people...:rolleyes:

I know Gene...he's a DUMMY. :D JUST KIDDING, don't know him but when I lived in Jersey I drove past his Bidness every day.

linda22003
04-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't know if they still do it, but when I lived in Britain they had big "L" plates for "learners", which stayed on for the first year of having one's license. I guess I don't think this is a bad idea, because it alerts you to give a wide berth. That may be because I'm used to looking out for diplomatic plates here in the DC area - you DEFINITELY give those a wide berth!

Gingersnap
04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
If the symbol can be easily removed, it will be quickly removed by teens. I certainly would have done that at that age (I would have remembered to put it back, too).

This might help the police easily locate intensely stupid teens more quickly but it won't "save lives". It's like those idiotic "Baby On Board" decals. I'm sure that thousands of babies were saved when drunken coke fiends spotted the little sign and instantly changed lanes to reduce the threat. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
04-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't know if they still do it, but when I lived in Britain they had big "L" plates for "learners", which stayed on for the first year of having one's license. I guess I don't think this is a bad idea, because it alerts you to give a wide berth. That may be because I'm used to looking out for diplomatic plates here in the DC area - you DEFINITELY give those a wide berth!

What is the point in giving them a special plate or sticker? Mom still has to drive the car too. :confused: OH WAIT!:D

linda22003
04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
What is the point in giving them a special plate or sticker? Mom still has to drive the car too. :confused: OH WAIT!:D

Not here in the DC area, where it seems that every high school graduate gets a brand new BMW for his very own. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Not here in the DC area, where it seems that every high school graduate gets a brand new BMW for his very own. :rolleyes:

At least they're graduates. I taught for a while at a school where the kids got new cars on the 16th birthday. :rolleyes: I'm all for raising the driving age to 18 btw.

linda22003
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
They've tried that around here, because DC traffic is so bad and a lot of inexperienced kids get killed. The ones who fight it the hardest are the PARENTS, because they're tired of chauffeuring duties.

PoliCon
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
They've tried that around here, because DC traffic is so bad and a lot of inexperienced kids get killed. The ones who fight it the hardest are the PARENTS, because they're tired of chauffeuring duties.

TOUGH SHIT. :mad: You made them - they are YOUR responsibility. DEAL WITH IT. :mad:

linda22003
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, not my responsibility of course, because I had the foresight not to produce any. But it's true, that's who doesn't want the age to change. Me, I learned how to drive when I was 29. :D

noonwitch
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't see how this is going to change anything. We had an accident here a few weeks back that killed 4 teens. It wasn't their fault, they were stopped at a light and a drunk driver plowed her car into theirs at a very high speed. The drunk driver had a prior conviction, too. If the drunk had been forced to get one of those cars with the breathalyzer installed, the accident would not have happened. Now, she's probably going to get at least 20 years for 2nd degree murder, and she killed 4 kids.

The best way to prevent teens from poor driving is for parents to be very sure of their teen's ability before signing for that driver's license. Michigan has some restrictions on the number of passengers a teen driver can have in the car-that's probably good, too, to prevent the inexperienced driver from having too many distractions. Most of those restrictions were the same rules my parents had for me when I was a teen.

hampshirebrit
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM

We still have L plates in the UK (red L on white b/g). They have to be displayed when a vehicle is being driven by anyone who has not passed their driving test, regardless of age. Additionally, such individuals are not permitted to drive unsupervised.

It is illegal to drive a vehicle with L plates displayed if you have passed your driving test, unless you are a driving instructor in a licensed tuition vehicle.

There is a voluntary P plate for newly qualified drivers, but few people opt to use it.

L plates serve as a good warning for other drivers, in my view.

VWkid06
04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
i agree with the kid who stated that it gives cops a reason to pull over kids for no reason or some bullshit reason. i should know :rolleyes:

linda22003
04-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Nooooo reason at all, I'm sure. :cool:

AHeneen
04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
The best way to prevent teens from poor driving is for parents to be very sure of their teen's ability before signing for that driver's license. Michigan has some restrictions on the number of passengers a teen driver can have in the car-that's probably good, too, to prevent the inexperienced driver from having too many distractions. Most of those restrictions were the same rules my parents had for me when I was a teen.

I agree. All teens are different when it comes to driving. Many are terrible, but many are good too. I don't see how it will do much.

jeskibuff
04-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law Wednesday; it takes effect next year.And might this be the same Dumbocrat who demostrated the typical hypocritical liberal do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do obedience to traffic laws?

Age plays a minor role in posing driving dangers when compared with what I see going on every day. It would be much better if cops would issue tickets to drivers who are obviously inattentive: driving while texting, reading newspapers/documents, fussing with the kids in the back seat, petting the dogs on their laps or totally engaged in their phone conversations, not to mention being just too stupid and inconsiderate to move to the right lane except to pass. If they'd do that, they'd see the accident rate drop tremendously.

Lars1701a
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, not my responsibility of course, because I had the foresight not to produce any. But it's true, that's who doesn't want the age to change. Me, I learned how to drive when I was 29. :D

To which we are eternally grateful :D

Now if we can get a pledge from Poli not to procreate will be set :cool: :D

PoliCon
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM
To which we are eternally grateful :D

Now if we can get a pledge from Poli not to procreate will be set :cool: :D

I don't have to. My sister thinks she's catholic. She has 4 already the oldest 8 yo. My brother has 2 and my half sister has 1 and she's just 20. Futhermore I am well aware that children are the way that God gets back at you for the hell you put your own parents through so any child of mine will be OMEN quality. :p