PDA

View Full Version : Dijon rosemary pork chops

patriot45
04-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Got home late last nite and didn't want to go out and grill so I tried this recipe. They are oven baked and come out very moist. The dijon mustard gives a nice kick of flavor and the rosemary in the breadcrumbs adds a nice twist.

Center cut or rib pork chops
season w/ S&P

bread crumbs mixed w/ tsp of rosemary

country dijon mustard

Pre-heat oven to 375
grease a baking pan

brush one side of chops with dijon and put in breadcrumb mix, brush the next side and flip to cover.
Arrange on the baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, if your chops are thinner, check them after 20 minutes. Was served with corn on the cob.

Brushing and breading.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/easterpiggy017.jpg

Moist and tasty!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/easterpiggy019.jpg

megimoo
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's an idea,If you have the land and the town that you live in allows it every year buy two or more suckling pigs and fatten them up yourself.If you have oak trees feed them acorns,if not visit the local market and make a deal for their old produce,fruit and stale bread and feed it to the pigs.Feed them grain if you have a ready supply.Fresh Water them and keep their sty's clean .Butcher them in the fall and freeze one and eat the other or sell the pork and buy two more.
An Italian friend of mine buys a several lambs every year in the fall and fattens them up over the winter then butrchers them for Fresh Roast Easter lamb .

Whole Pork Loin

Pork Loin (Pork Chops), Pork Baby Back Ribs,Pork Tenderloin

"Buy the whole thing and cut it up yourself ,just Have him 'Saw The bone' !"

If pork roasts and chops are desired, then a whole bone-in or boneless pork loin is a good buy. It's a wholesale cut from which many retail pork cuts are made: 1) blade roast, center roast, sirloin roast and top loin roast; 2) blade chop, rib chop, loin chop, sirloin chop, top loin chop and butterfly chop; and 3) baby back ribs. A quick lesson in the terminology used by the retailer is helpful to become aware of what is involved in buying whole loins.

The pork loin is the wholesale cut located between the leg (ham) and shoulder, and when bone-in weighs approximately 14 to 18 pounds. The section of the loin between the blade end and sirloin end is commonly termed the center, thus the names "center chops" and "center roasts." Knowing this much about pork loin terminology will simplify discussions with the retailer and make purchasing loins a simple task. Retail pork loins are usually trimmed of excess fat so the weight of the cuts purchased should almost equal the weight of the whole loin. (To compare, ask for both the weight of the whole loin and the combined weight of the retail cuts.)

Once the whole loin has been selected, ask the retailer to cut a blade roast and sirloin roast. Specify the weight of these two roasts. To aid in carving the roasts when cooked, the backbone should be loosened on the blade and sirloin roast. Carving is further simplified if the retailer is willing to remove the blade and hip bones. From the remaining center section one can select either bone-in chops or boneless chops. The thickness of the chops (one-half to one and one-half inches) must be determined prior to cutting and depends on the intended cooking method. Thin chops are preferred for pan frying, medium for braising, or thick for broiling.

If boneless cuts of the center loin are desired, one should request that the tenderloin and the back ribs be included with the purchase. One should ask the retailer to bulk wrap all cuts. At home, separate the cuts that have been purchased and wrap and freeze those cuts that are to be stored beyond two days.
The center can be fabricated into roasts with the chops cut from the blade and sirloin ends. From the whole loin that was purchased, request that chops be cut from the blade end and sirloin end. (Ask the retailer to loosen the backbone.) Again, it's important to determine the thickness before the retailer makes the cuts.

From the remaining center portion, one has the choice of a bone-in center roast; boneless roast, single or a double pork loin roast. As with the boneless chops, the boneless roast will also yield back ribs and tenderloin. Be sure to wrap each cut.
butchering whole pork loin
i recently purchased a whole pork loin and am wondering the best way to divvy it up. its boneless with a nice fat cap and tapered shape. from what i gather, i can cut some roasts, chops and lardons, but which part is best for which?
When I do this, I start at the tapered end cutting strips for stir fry and cubes for stew, cut double thick chops for grilling or stuffing as it begins to even out, and save the larger end for a single roast.
This is great for when the supermarket does their "buy one whole pork loin, get one free" deal. I cannot pass that up.
Funny - I do the same but work from the thicker, roast end! I then cut thick steaks, some thin, and the end for stewing cubes. There aren't any lardons since the cut is usually so lean
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/612070