PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Says It Covered Over Name of Jesus to Comply With White House Request

megimoo
04-16-2009, 04:12 PM
..................."“By their works ye shall know them !"

Photo of Gaston Hall stage that shows symbol "IHS" that was covered up during President Obama's speech to accommodate a White House request. (Wikimedia photo)(CNSNews.com) - Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the “IHS” monogram that had previously adorned the stage at Georgetown’s Gaston Hall was still covered up--when the pediment where it had appeared was photographed by CNSNews.com.

President Obama is greeted by Georgetown University President John J. DeGioia as he arrives to deliver remarks on the economy, April 14, 2009, at Georgetown University. Georgetown had covered the symbol "IHS" on the pediment above and behind the two men. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert) “In coordinating the logistical arrangements for yesterday’s event, Georgetown honored the White House staff’s request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols behind Gaston Hall stage,” Julie Green Bataille, associate vice president for communications at Georgetown, told CNSNews.com.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46667

linda22003
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
1. I don't think Georgetown should have changed its property to suit someone from the outside.

2. I don't know why Georgetown had to be the venue for that presentation.

3. If the IHS had NOT been covered, you know people would have been making snarky comments about how he thinks he's the Messiah. :p

megimoo
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Biography John J. DeGioia PhD

"There is something basically 'heathen' about our system of higher education,while in persuit of an degree, Education/Sheepskin we as a people are required to denounce all that we believe in as Christians and follow the academic truths of atheism ! "

"This really get me angry .A once proud Catholic College run by The Companions of Christ is so Lilly livered and ashamed of Christ that they cover up any symbols of their Master and Savior when in need of being P C ! St Ignacio López de Loyola Must be spinning in his grave !

" At Least he's not a Jesuit,too bad he's ashamed of and not a loyal foillower of Jesus Christ !"

For nearly three decades, John J. DeGioia has helped to define and strengthen Georgetown University as a premier institution for education and research. Since graduating from the University in 1979, he has served both as a senior administrator and as a faculty member. On July 1, 2001, he became Georgetown's 48th president.

Academic, Professional, and Personal
Dr. DeGioia is a Professorial Lecturer in the Department of Philosophy. He earned a bachelor's degree in English from Georgetown University in 1979 and his PhD in Philosophy from the University in 1995. He has most recently taught "Ethics and Global Development," "Human Rights: A Culture in Crisis," and a seminar on "Ways of Knowing."

Prior to his appointment as president, Dr. DeGioia held a variety of senior administrative positions at Georgetown, including senior vice president, responsible for university-wide operations, and dean of student affairs.

In 2004, he was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Academia from the Sons of Italy. And he was named a Washingtonian of the Year by The Washingtonian magazine in 2008.

Dr. DeGioia was raised in Orange, Connecticut, and Hanford, California. He and his wife, Theresa Miller DeGioia, a Georgetown alumna, and their son, John Thomas, live in Washington, D.C.

Phillygirl
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
1. I don't think Georgetown should have changed its property to suit someone from the outside.

2. I don't know why Georgetown had to be the venue for that presentation.

3. If the IHS had NOT been covered, you know people would have been making snarky comments about how he thinks he's the Messiah. :p

Much as I'd like to Obama bash on this one, I can't. If the IHS were right above his head as he spoke, there would be all kinds of outcries. I think the WH was right to ask that they be blocked from view so as to avoid any claims of disrespect, in light of the messiah analogies. Too bad they weren't able to do it without being so obvious.

FlaGator
04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Mark 8:30

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

FlaGator
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Much as I'd like to Obama bash on this one, I can't. If the IHS were right above his head as he spoke, there would be all kinds of outcries. I think the WH was right to ask that they be blocked from view so as to avoid any claims of disrespect, in light of the messiah analogies. Too bad they weren't able to do it without being so obvious.

I'm not sure if that was their only motive.

patriot45
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM

Stand somewhere else. What would rev wright think!

megimoo
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM

The simple solution would be if they didn't want the IHS Christogram sign of the Christ to appear they should have told the Obama staffers no and canceled the event .

Obama is proving to be an enemy of Christianity especially Catholicism so why even invite him to speak ?Is it so important to have an avowed enemy of the church in the person of the president speak on campus ?

I would expect these days to have an incarnate demon from hell in full flaming regalia invited to participate in PC debate of Christianity at Georgetown !

The Georgetown Society of Jesus scholars have much to be ashamed of these dark days !

Phillygirl
04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure if that was their only motive.

What do you think their other motives were? To be ashamed to be associated with Christ?

megimoo
04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
User Comments

"Georgetown honored the White House staff's request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage..."

What is the point of having the speech given at your university, if you can't prove it in the future? There are no photos you can show that indicate the speech was given at your school, it could just as well have been made on that sound stage where NASA faked the moon landing decades ago (just kidding!).

But this is another example of 0bama making everything about himself. The man is a flaming egomaniac, and I believe that he is a dangerous one.

Everyone tends to think of someone at that level as being mentally well-adjusted. But with shrinks pointing to the fact that 0bama was abandoned by his father, his mother, and his step-father, and raised by his grandparents, and pointing out the negative impacts of such an upbringing, you really do have to stop and wonder about this guy.

In addition, today he had an article printed in a Mexican newspaper, translated into Spanish, in which he again apologized to Mexico for the way this country has "treated its neighbor". There was no corresponding English version of it printed anywhere; he was obviously trying to slip this one under the radar of the U.S. population.

This man does have some sort of complex, and it is going to have very bad effects on this country if he gets his way for the next 4 years.

noonwitch
04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
To a protestant like me, the IHS thing is not a big deal. I didn't even know what it stood for until I was in my 20s, same with the INRI sign that is sometimes on crucifixes. We didn't have crucifixes, just crosses. The symbol on some of the churches' vestments had the Pax Christi symbol, but that was about it.

FlaGator
04-17-2009, 08:54 AM
What do you think their other motives were? To be ashamed to be associated with Christ?

I think that they may have been attempting to dissociate Obama from any religious references for the sake of appearences keep from angering their liberal base which may see a rebroadcast on TV. He as already disinfranchised them enough with the choice of Rick Warrens to lead prayer at the inaugeration and Obama's selection of Tony Dungy to be a member of his Faith-based council.

Phillygirl
04-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I think that they may have been attempting to dissociate Obama from any religious references for the sake of appearences keep from angering their liberal base which may see a rebroadcast on TV. He as already disinfranchised them enough with the choice of Rick Warrens to lead prayer at the inaugeration and Obama's selection of Tony Dungy to be a member of his Faith-based council.

Ahh. I think the appearance at Georgetown sort of nixes that anyway.

FlaGator
04-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Ahh. I think the appearance at Georgetown sort of nixes that anyway.

I'm pretty certain that DUers would complain about religious icons in church if they really gave it a lot of thought.

megimoo
04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
That could well be true but it's a shame that he doesn't feel the same about Christians who are pro life ?Just about all of his latest appointments have been pro death and from my point of view anti Christian.

The point being Georgetown is or was a Jesuit institution known for it's academic excellance and the high intellectual standings of its graduates in the Catholic Christian tradition .The podium could easily been moved to another area or even outside . It seems some progressive or progressively inclined Christians see nothing wrong with being, in essence,ashamed of Christ and his symbolism.

Georgetown has in the past removed crucifixes from classrooms in order not to offend non Christian students !Georgetown is after all a Christian institution and needn't compromise its founders beliefs .That Christianity at Georgetown has fallen out of favor or at the very least been subjugated to Political expedience there is little doubt and it is in dire need of an Admonitor !The motto of the Jesuit's has from St.Ignazio's time been 'Ad maiorem Dei gloriam' but Georgetown has failed to advance the cause of Christ in their decision .

The Jesuit's have been known to be the most Intellectually/liberal of the Catholic Churches religious orders and in the past have fallen from 'grace' with the Roman Catholic hierarchy .The The Praepositus Generalis,(Black Pope) of the Jesuit's has been called to task over his priests but has done little to reign them in .The Superior General,Father Adolfo Nicolás , is invested with ordinary power over the members of the Society, similar to the power given to a bishop over the people of a diocese. Superiors General submit themselves to the direct authority of and service to the Pope, not local ordinaries.He has observed that the order is changing ."Those who enter into the lives of the people, they begin to question their own positions very radically." The Jesuit's as an order have great freedom within the church and on occasion some Jesuit's have been known to abuse it .Their fealty to the Roman Sea has been in the past troublesome to some with past Superiors General removed by the pope .