PDA

View Full Version : "A peek into a liberals mind,While Trying To Figure These Critters Out ?"

megimoo
04-17-2009, 08:44 AM
A peek into a liberal's mind

"We progressives are a superior people. We are more Sensitive,Nuanced,Educated,and Culturally Marxist and even smell better than you !"

My sister, who lives in a large east coast city, is a dyed in the wool liberal, or as they prefer now, progressive. What makes her wonderful is that she is very intelligent and widely read, and is willing to hold forth on long conversations regarding difficult topics. Our e-mails sometimes run on for pages. Recently we have been discussing gun control. I put a question to her that I thought would crystallize our differences and it did.

My question: Would you kill to avoid being killed? That is the acid test. If you answer no, then all that you profess makes sense for you. It doesnít reflect the value most of us have of self preservation however.

Her answer: " I think that most any creature, if faced with a life and death situation, would instinctively try to save itself. This is instinct, not reason. That is why I would never carry a gun.

This way I donít have to make horrible choices. [With] My luck I would kill an undercover policeman and then live in horrible, health deteriorating guilt for the rest of my life. Iíd rather just take my chances and hope for the best in people.

I loved the story of the guy who shot his way out of custody at the court house and killed one or two others before ending up taking refuge in a house with a woman. She was a Christian and talked him into giving himself up to the police. Can you imagine the outcome if she had had a gun? They would likely both be dead."

I am charmed by her firm grip on a world where good intentions make for good laws, and even if someone who has committed a crime shoots their way out of the courthouse killing police on the way out, there is still the chance for peaceful resolution.

Rather than looking at the aggregate of all such conflicts and their usual outcomes, she pins her hopes (and life) on being the one in a thousand who didn't get killed. She has no quarrel with people owning or carrying guns as long as they have all been carefully screened and exhaustively trained and licensed by the state.

Of course this would require nationwide licensing and a federal database of permits and owners. I haven't been able to make her see that all the regimentation in the world of the good guys doesn't affect the behavior of the bad guys.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2944-Denver-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m4d15-A-peek-into-a-liberals-mind?cid=exrss-Denver-Gun-Rights-Examiner

FlaGator
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't see where your quoted comment at the top as anything to do with the attitude of the woman the story references. It is misleading at best and gives a false impression of the liberal in question.

Rebel Yell
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
My question: Would you kill to avoid being killed? That is the acid test. If you answer no, then all that you profess makes sense for you. It doesnít reflect the value most of us have of self preservation however.

Scenario: Three cavemen see a stranger running towards them with a spear. One fights, one flees, one smiles and invites him over for fondue. That last guy didn't last long enough to procreate.

If their idea of evolution and natural selection is correct, who's superior?

Odysseus
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Scenario: Three cavemen see a stranger running towards them with a spear. One fights, one flees, one smiles and invites him over for fondue. That last guy didn't last long enough to procreate.
If their idea of evolution and natural selection is correct, who's superior?

Except that in their view, the one who fought was killed, the one who offered fondue was enslaved and lived, so it's better to live on your knees than die on your feet. Oh, and the one who ran away was the ancestor of the French. :D

megimoo
04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Except that in their view, the one who fought was killed, the one who offered fondue was enslaved and lived, so it's better to live on your knees than die on your feet. Oh, and the one who ran away was the ancestor of the French. :DSlaves don't often get to breed !

megimoo
04-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't see where you quoted comment at the top as anything to do with the attitude of the woman the story references. It is misleading at best and gives a false impression of the liberal in question. It's simply a attempt at justification of a alien (strange) mindset !How else to explain her irrational behavior of hoping for good from evil !

Odysseus
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Slaves don't often get to breed !

Sure they do. The master gets to have lots of kids with his slaves.

noonwitch
04-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh, and the one who ran away was the ancestor of the French. :D

That's funny!

I'm not really a liberal about gun rights, even though I choose not to have one for my own reasons. I support law-abiding citizens' right to bear arms. I didn't grow up with guns, and know nothing about operating/maintaining them, so my choice is not to have one. That way, if someone is going to shoot me, at least it's not going to be with my own gun!

I have a dagger in my nightstand drawer and a Louisville Slugger under the bed. If someone who doesn't have a gun breaks in and wants something other than my material goods, it's a fair fight. But I have lived for 22 years in a community that most consider high crime and have never been the victim of a crime. 12 of those years (1989-2001), I lived near Woodward and McNichols in Detroit. I think having a dog is helpful in preventing crime, and just being careful. Detroit is far more dangerous for black males aged 13-40 than it is for a white female in her 30s.

PoliCon
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
a dyed in the wool liberal, or as they prefer now, progressive.I prefer that they use the proper label of progressive. I'd love to see the term liberal rehabilitated and restored to where it belongs. You notice that I never call these damn lefties liberals. :)

FlaGator
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
It's simply a attempt at justification of a alien (strange) mindset !How else to explain her irrational behavior of hoping for good from evil !

Isn't that a Christian virtue? There a lot of people (yes conservatives too) who don't believe that they should own guns. They are not anti-gun they just don't feel comfortable owning them. I know quite a few people at church who don't own guns. I didn't own any until the last year and my feelings were similar to the woman in the article.

Odysseus
04-17-2009, 05:33 PM
That's funny!

I'm not really a liberal about gun rights, even though I choose not to have one for my own reasons. I support law-abiding citizens' right to bear arms. I didn't grow up with guns, and know nothing about operating/maintaining them, so my choice is not to have one. That way, if someone is going to shoot me, at least it's not going to be with my own gun!

I have a dagger in my nightstand drawer and a Louisville Slugger under the bed. If someone who doesn't have a gun breaks in and wants something other than my material goods, it's a fair fight. But I have lived for 22 years in a community that most consider high crime and have never been the victim of a crime. 12 of those years (1989-2001), I lived near Woodward and McNichols in Detroit. I think having a dog is helpful in preventing crime, and just being careful. Detroit is far more dangerous for black males aged 13-40 than it is for a white female in her 30s.

A certain amount of situational awareness goes a long way towards protecting yourself from crime, as does having a big dog. Since we have two cats, I'd prefer to have a gun in the house, especially since I'm trained to use it. Unfortunately, Mrs. O isn't trained and feels the same way about it as you do, which bothers me no end, especially when I'm off making the rest of the world safe for democracy. She's also terrified of what might happen if the girls got hold of a gun, but I'm more worried about a break-in or other attack.

megimoo
04-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Isn't that a Christian virtue? There a lot of people (yes conservatives too) who don't believe that they should own guns. They are not anti-gun they just don't feel comfortable owning them. I know quite a few people at church who don't own guns. I didn't own any until the last year and my feelings were similar to the woman in the article.Then what changed,why do you have a gun now ? As for Hope being a Christian Virtue I agree but I believe that common sense is also a great survival mechanism and allows one to persue a Christian life.

FlaGator
04-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Then what changed,why do you have a gun now ? As for Hope being a Christian Virtue I agree but I believe that common sense is also a great survival mechanism and allows one to persue a Christian life.

I own them now because I have taken up hunting as a hobby. I have also found that I enjoy target shooting. I do keep one in the house for home defense but I don't take them out unless I am going to the range or going hunting.

I ask you too look at the deaths of the martrys who allowed themselves to be killed for their beliefs. Now this is not exactly the same thing but in a sense both are willing to put their faith in their beliiefs over instinct. Some people do not feel comfortable owning guns so their version of common sense is different than yours or mine, that however doesn't distract from their survival instincts. Remember that survival has two responses to an attack, fight or flight. They have choosen flight. Either choice might in badly but it is a choice our nature makes for us.