PDA

View Full Version : Actors’ strike looms over Hollywood

bijou
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Hollywood is preparing for another crippling strike after the largest actors’ union failed to agree on a new contract with the US entertainment industry’s key studios and networks .

The 120,000-member Screen Actors Guild has been locked in talks with the studios for several weeks, with both sides working towards a deadline of midnight on Monday night.

Hollywood studios, facing an expiring contract and what they declared to be a ``de facto strike’’ as film and television production slow, made a final offer to the guild and ended negotiations.

The proposal is worth $250 million to SAG members and is similar to agreements reached with directors, writers and a smaller actors union, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the studios’ negotiating agent, said on Monday. The union said it was`”reviewing the complex package and will prepare a response to management once that analysis is complete”.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9700d548-46de-11dd-876a-0000779fd2ac.html

So soon after the writers, people will be worn out with the effort of not caring about Hollywood. :rolleyes:

CLibertarian
07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
BFD.:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
This will not impact my life on any level. It's difficult to think of a more overrated profession. What is acting other than directed lying? How many great amateur liars are there?

If anything, dumping them all for a time could actually improve things. Commercials will now feature dogs instead of improbably perky actors. Loud voice-overs on infomercials can be replaced text. We will no longer fear inane movie remakes of inane sitcoms. This whole idea has a lot of potential. :)

Shannon
07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
The X-Files movie is already complete. I don't care about anything else.:)

biccat
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
This will not impact my life on any level. It's difficult to think of a more overrated profession. What is acting other than directed lying? How many great amateur liars are there?
All of the amateur liars go to Hollywood.

The true greats go to law school.

jendf
07-01-2008, 03:20 PM
All of the amateur liars go to Hollywood.

The true greats go to law school.

Doh! :D......

noonwitch
07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't see where they think they can gain, when we live in a world with You Tube and My Space for entertainment.

lacarnut
07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
BFD.:rolleyes:

You have got that right