PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Mary

patriot45
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I like a good Bloody Mary but hate most store bought mixes, so I decided to make it from scratch! So much better this way. After It was chilled and vodka added, I poured it into a marguerita glass, garnished with celery stalks and some cilantro and arranged some large shrimp for a bloody mary shrimp cocktail! We bought the UFC fight last nite and had these shrimp cocktails and the rest of the Bloody Marys!

Makes about 1 quart of juice from each 2 quarts of whole tomatoes)

Fully ripped Italian-type plum or pear tomatoes, without spoiled spots or bruises

For each 2 quarts of whole tomatoes:

1/2 medium red or green sweet pepper, chopped
1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
1/2 to 1 rib celery (depending on size), with leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 small dried hot red pepper (about 1 1/2 inches long) or a 1/2-inch slice fresh hot pepper (use more if you like "hotter" juice, or add bottled hot pepper sauce to the finished juice, as described in the directions)
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds or 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 bay leaf
2 or 3 small sprigs parsley
3 or 4 fresh basil leaves or 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 or 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Strained fresh lemon or lime juice to taste (see note below)

1. Wash the tomatoes well. Cut away any green or yellow parts and remove white or green cores. Quarter the tomatoes and measure them into a stainless-steel or enameled kettle; each 2 quarts of whole tomatoes should yield about 5 cups, cut up.

2. Add to the tomatoes the sweet pepper, onion, garlic, celery, peppercorns, hot pepper (if used), coriander, bay leaf, parsley, basil, and mustard seeds. Bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.

3. Force the vegetables through the finest disc of a food mill. Sieve the juice if it isn't smooth enough, or if any seeds have passed into it. If the juice seems too thin, let it settle, then skim off and discard the thin liquid on top.

4. Taste the juice for seasoning and add sugar, salt, pepper sauce (if you are including it), and strained lemon or lime juice to taste.

This is all you need!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/obama/easterpiggy022.jpg

To have a home made this-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/obama/easterpiggy023.jpg

JB
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Nothing like dinner and a drink in the same glass.

Bubba Dawg
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I use V8 juice and hot sauce.

But this looks good too.....:p:D

Actually, that looks great. I wouldn't have thought of it but I can see how tasty that would be. Nice.

Hawkgirl
04-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Impressive!

This is what I made tonight....crushed ice, kahlua mudslide mix, and a blender :p

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e6elia.jpg

Blend for 1 minute

http://i44.tinypic.com/20f86lk.jpg

Enjoy!

http://i39.tinypic.com/29w1kp0.jpg

RobJohnson
04-20-2009, 02:32 AM
I know of a bar in Illinois that always included two small shrimp with each Blood Mary.

Good stuff.

That can of cinnamon on your counter looks vintage. :D

linda22003
04-20-2009, 10:07 AM
That can of cinnamon on your counter looks vintage. :D

You have a good eye! I had to go back and look. It looks like the old "Ann Page" brand from the A&P!

patriot45
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
You have a good eye! I had to go back and look. It looks like the old "Ann Page" brand from the A&P!

Haha, it could be that old! Lucky I had it though, I needed a pinch for something last week and I was out of cinnamon sticks. That can was in the way back of the spice cabinet!

patriot45
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Hawkgirl;130499]Impressive!

This is what I made tonight....crushed ice, kahlua mudslide mix, and a blender :p

Excellent!! I like Mudslides, and White Russians too! Pool weather is here and it is time for those frou-frou pool side cocktails!

Hawkgirl
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Haha, it could be that old! Lucky I had it though, I needed a pinch for something last week and I was out of cinnamon sticks. That can was in the way back of the spice cabinet!

Did you smell it first? Spices do go bad after about a year I think :confused:

linda22003
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM

So, basically, you added brown powder. :) Try the spices from penzeys.com; they're wonderful. I keep a lot of Indonesian cinnamon (mild, for cooking) and Vietnamese (like red-hot candies, for baking) on hand.

patriot45
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Still had that cinnamony smell! :D

Shannon
04-20-2009, 07:39 PM
That's a whole lot of work for a cocktail.

patriot45
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Hey, I made 2 quarts! Made alot of bloody marys, the PPV didnt come on till10 and it was over at 1 am.

I woke up the next afternoon and had the last one!:D

RobJohnson
04-21-2009, 12:43 AM

I was thinking the same thing. :D

By the time you got the mix made, it would be time for bed!

RobJohnson
04-21-2009, 12:45 AM

Back in the old days, not everything had "best used by" dates like they do now.

I remember my grandmother's & mother's spice racks had alot of older spices and they all seemed to work when needed! :)

Hawkgirl
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. :D

By the time you got the mix made, it would be time for bed!

Welll I agree, that's why I asked if he smelled it, rather than what the expiration date was.

I have used spices passed their expiration date as long as they didn't smell funky.