PDA

View Full Version : "Crazed Chinese (Insert Currently Acceptable Insult Implying Stupidity, Class Issues)

megimoo
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Five Police Officers Killed in Knife Attack in China

Five policemen were stabbed to death in Shanghai today after a man set fire to their station before charging in with a knife in a frenzied attack. Government officials said the man, a 28-year-old from Beijing named only as Yang, was "quickly overpowered" and arrested. Police said the attacker confessed he had wanted revenge after police arrested him last year on suspicion of stealing bicycles. "He was unhappy ... In order to take revenge, he decided to commit criminal actions," a statement said. "He broke into the building, attacking policemen who were at work."According to the statement, the man set...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/2229445/Five-police-officers-killed-in-knife-attack-in-China.html

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
"Coolie" Meaning #1: an offensive name for an unskilled Asian laborer.

Nowhere in the story does it refer to this word, I personally find this offensive, and Iíd like to request that a Moderator remove in from the thread title.

megimoo
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Five policemen were stabbed to death in Shanghai today after a man set fire to their station before charging in with a knife in a frenzied attack. Government officials said the man, a 28-year-old from Beijing named only as Yang, was "quickly overpowered" and arrested. Police said the attacker confessed he had wanted revenge after police arrested him last year on suspicion of stealing bicycles. "He was unhappy ... In order to take revenge, he decided to commit criminal actions," a statement said. "He broke into the building, attacking policemen who were at work."According to the statement, the man set...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/2229445/Five-police-officers-killed-in-knife-attack-in-China.html

Coolie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coolie labourer circa 1900 in Zhenjiang, China. The bamboo pole he leans upon was used to hoist and carry the bundle at his feet with the pole over his shoulder and the bundle leaning against his back. On the left side of the image, in the background, another man uses this same technique of bearing a heavy load.Coolie

(variously spelled Cooly, Kuli, Quli, Koelie etc.) is:

A historical term for manual labourers from Asia, particularly China and India, in the 19th century and early 20th century !

patriot45
07-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quickly subdued!?! Good thing they werent slow, he coulda took out 10! He must have studied alot of Jet Li movies.

megimoo
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Coolie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coolie labourer circa 1900 in Zhenjiang, China. The bamboo pole he leans upon was used to hoist and carry the bundle at his feet with the pole over his shoulder and the bundle leaning against his back. On the left side of the image, in the background, another man uses this same technique of bearing a heavy load.Coolie

(variously spelled Cooly, Kuli, Quli, Koelie etc.) is:

A historical term for manual labourers from Asia, particularly China and India, in the 19th century and early 20th century !

Coolies to help in checking rail crimes

Kanpur, Oct 1 : In an increased thrust on railway safety, the Northern Railways has decided to take the help of coolies to prevent crimes on railway stations and trains.
http://www.feedsfarm.com/article/f094ab4754b97fc9b6d2efdc72b37092ff9e695f.html
EMANCIPATION IN THE WEST INDIES.; The Coolie Immigration System--Introduction of Foreign Labor to Trinidad.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9402E0DC1F31EE34BC4951DFB0668382 649FDE
coolie labor

coolie labor, term applied to unskilled laborers from Asia, especially from India and China. With the discontinuance of slavery, the use of Chinese and Indian contract labor in British and French colonies increased. Indenture of Indian coolies was usually for a term of five years, in return for wages, certain benefits, and the cost of passage; the terms were enforceable by penal sanctions. At the expiration of their terms, the laborers were free to reindenture or to seek other employment.
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/bus/A0813430.html

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Coolie

Yes, and as youíve never been to Asia, in the present day, you wouldnít know and/or grasp that it is currently a racist/derogatory term.

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Coolie (variously spelled Cooly, Kuli, Quli, etc.) is:

* A contemporary racial slur for people of Asian descent, including people from India, Central Asia, etc.[1]

Hey Chickenshit - how come you left this out of your reference?:confused:

megimoo
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, and as you’ve never been to Asia, in the present day, you wouldn’t know and/or grasp that it is currently a racist/derogatory term.How in hell do you know where I've been moron !Once again your little ploy failed to bear fruit !Are you by any chance Asian or have any Asian blood in those old veins of yours.Are you a resident of or recently migrated from the Orient to OC?If not spare me your indignant lectures on currently racist/derogatory terms .

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I am looking forward to your next mistake and your subsequent tears of innocence .

Connotation

When it first entered the English language, "coolie" was a designative term describing a low-status class of workers rather than a pejorative term for them. However, in the wake of centuries of colonialism and the social inequalities thereof, it has taken on not only the characteristics of a slur in the general sense but also that of a racial epithet. In this last sense, it has been applied to Asian people regardless of their professions or socio-economic standing with obviously insulting intent.

You fucked up megi - and I'm calling you on it. If you'd been to China you never would have written this - so just own your stupidity.

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
"Coolie"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Coolieusa.jpg

(North America) unskilled Asian labor, usually Chinese (originally used in 19th-century for Chinese railroad labor). Possibly from Hindi/Telugu kuli, day laborer.[49] Also racial epithet for Indo-Caribbean people, especially in Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago and South African Indians, where it is considered on par with "******".

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:WJO0FwdwfRUJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs+offensive+slur:+coolie&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

Zafod
07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
This thread sucks.

Less whine please

gator
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
This thread sucks.

Less whine please

Look who is participating in the thread; Mr Whiny Himself.

Shannon
07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
So what was the MOD verdict about this horribly racist thread?:D

megimoo
07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
So what was the MOD verdict about this horribly racist thread?:D
The jury is deliberating I guess ?I will have to be more sensitive towards
our Oriental leaning members .For all I know his wife could be Chinese ?

Next time it will be "Crazed Chinese Cook Cuts Chinese Cops Confesses Crime !"
There that shouldn't offend with the exception of a few stray Chinese cooks ?

jendf
07-01-2008, 08:59 PM
The jury is deliberating I guess ?

If I was a mod and ruled the board, I would probably be making fun of LP's righteous indignation rather than deliberating.

But that's just me. :p

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Y'all happy now or do I have pull this thing over and turn around? :rolleyes:

jendf
07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Y'all happy now or do I have pull this thing over and turn around? :rolleyes:

Wow. Way to give in to the one poster who was offended.

megimoo
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
If I was a mod and ruled the board, I would probably be making fun of LP's righteous indignation rather than deliberating.

But that's just me. :pIt isn't righteous indignation it's revenge for perceived failure on my part .He blames me for his failure to placate Sonnabend during an exchange they had !

Phillygirl
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM

I'm thinking that the rewrite isn't quite what LP had in mind in terms of editing!

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM

Hardly. My change merely pointed out the petty idiocy of his claim. If people can be routinely called crackers or white trash or fundies on this board, other equal insults are acceptable. That anyone would seriously claim that a Lounge thread is a race-baiting trigger for colonial oppression is absurd.

As is my new title. :D

Shannon
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking that the rewrite isn't quite what LP had in mind in terms of editing!

Ohhhh. I didn't notice the rewrite.:D

megimoo
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Hardly. My change merely pointed out the petty idiocy of his claim. If people can be routinely called crackers or white trash or fundies on this board, other equal insults are acceptable. That anyone would seriously claim that a Lounge thread is a race-baiting trigger for colonial oppression is absurd.

As is my new title. :DWow, the power of a mod to make all things right again .But it's lost its 'Zing '!

jendf
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow, the power of a mod to make all things right again .But it's lost its 'Zing '!

It really shouldn't have been changed at all.

Mods...Are you going to change the title of every thread LogansPapa pitches a fit over. Because you might be changing a lot of threads if you do.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
It really shouldn't have been changed at all.

Mods...Are you going to change the title of every thread LogansPapa pitches a fit over. Because you might be changing a lot of threads if you do.

Sadly, you have no idea of the number of witless complaints we get daily - it's sometimes astonishing. We seldom find these complaints reasonable. My intervention here was an object lesson; not a capitulation. If you can't see the backhanded humor in translating PC outrage into a thread title, I have failed. Failed you, I mean.

Loganspapa will be even more annoyed. :)

Shannon
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Sadly, you have no idea of the number of witless complaints we get daily

There's no reason to bring me into this!

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
There's no reason to bring me into this!

I meant PM complaints about thread titles and topics. We've all become used to your day thread Nazi ways.

Say! It's my turn tomorrow. I'd better do some homework. :o

Shannon
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I meant PM complaints about thread titles and topics. We've all become used to your day thread Nazi ways.

Say! It's my turn tomorrow. I'd better do some homework. :o

I know what you meant, retard.:p Ooops, was that politically incorrect? And I'm not a Nazi! I'm just organized.:o

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I know what you meant, retard.:p Ooops, was that politically incorrect? And I'm not a Nazi! I'm just organized.:o

No, I'm the Nazi for calling you a Nazi. For all I know, you're of German descent. And as a hyper organized person myself, I hear by declare that "neat freak" is no longer an acceptable label.

We are Chaos-Challenged. :)

CLibertarian
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Ancient Chinese Secret

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm1Xzwlc9Q

SarasotaRepub
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
LOL!! Nice work Ginger. I was going to just change Coolie to ChiCom. :D

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
LOL!! Nice work Ginger. I was going to just change Coolie to ChiCom. :D

It's pretty much the same thing. :D

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Thank you, Gingersnap. ;)

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you, Gingersnap. ;)

Don't thank me. I think this issue is absurd and the complain baseless. If we had the Thunderdome back, you and this thread would be in there.

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't thank me. I think this issue is absurd and the complain baseless. If we had the Thunderdome back, you and this thread would be in there.

My people are from the Isle of Man, so I've got no personal ax to grind, but I think if you spent some time living in eastern Asia you'd be able to grasp my perspective.

bijou
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Come on peeps, chill out; in fact let's all sit down together and catch a movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie_(film))

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Iíve never been able to figure out where the term "Ugly American" originated. Oh yeah, about 1854 - with the beginning of the Republican Party.:rolleyes:

bijou
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Iíve never been able to figure out where the term "Ugly American" originated. Oh yeah, about 1854 - with the beginning of the Republican Party.:rolleyes:

Try 1958 when the book (http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall98/uglyamerican.htm) was published.

CLibertarian
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM

It was ugly of them to oppose slavery, huh?

megimoo
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
LOL!! Nice work Ginger. I was going to just change Coolie to ChiCom. :DWow a 'double 'C' ,Chi-Com !

ConJinx
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
what if I don't want to be politically correct. what if I choose to exercise freedom of speech, UNLIKE THE CHICOMs. And by the way, could we please come up with racial epithets that will actually offend me as a white person so I can say "stop saying that, it offends me!"

megimoo
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
what if I don't want to be politically correct. what if I choose to exercise freedom of speech, UNLIKE THE CHICOMs. And by the way, could we please come up with racial epithets that will actually offend me as a white person so I can say "stop saying that, it offends me!"How about "Hi There Honkey" ?

Zafod
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Look who is participating in the thread; Mr Whiny Himself.

I would ask you to clarify that sir.

CLibertarian
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
How about "Hi There Honkey" ?

I prefer t be called "Cracker".:D