PDA

View Full Version : Scientist Stephen Hawking ill in hospital

bijou
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Leading scientist Stephen Hawking is "very ill" in hospital, his employer Cambridge University has said.

A spokesman said Professor Hawking was undergoing tests at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.

The spokesman said the 67-year-old, who has motor neurone disease, had "been unwell for a couple of weeks".

Prof Hawking has worked at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at Cambridge University for more than 30 years.

Prof Hawking, who speaks with the aid of a voice synthesiser, has three children and one grandchild.

...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8008767.stm

SarasotaRepub
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah I saw that today...hope he hangs in there!

AlmostThere
04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
One of the smartest minds ever known and trapped in a useless body. Nature does have a cruel sense of irony occassionally. Does anyone remember a show Hawking may have hosted in the early 70's or late 60's? I seem to remember this show but I can't find a record of it.

bijou
04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
One of the smartest minds ever known and trapped in a useless body. Nature does have a cruel sense of irony occassionally. Does anyone remember a show Hawking may have hosted in the early 70's or late 60's? I seem to remember this show but I can't find a record of it.

I can't find a reference to anything that early either, I'll post a link if I come across anything.

AlmostThere
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I either have my time frame or hosts mixed up. I remember the host discussing time in layman's English and I found it fascinating. Hawking had a series in the 90's I think, but the series I remember, I recall being much younger than my mid-30's. :confused:

Constitutionally Speaking
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I either have my time frame or hosts mixed up. I remember the host discussing time in layman's English and I found it fascinating. Hawking had a series in the 90's I think, but the series I remember, I recall being much younger than my mid-30's. :confused:

I think he MAY have done it with Carl Sagan - not sure.