PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Tuesday July 1, 4:26 pm ET / AP

Starbucks closing 600 underperforming stores in the United States

SEATTLE (AP) -- Starbucks Corp. has announced it's closing 600 underperforming stores in the United States.

The Seattle-based premium coffee company also announced Tuesday it expects to open fewer than 200 new company-operated stores in the United States in fiscal 2009.

The company says it will try to place workers from closed stores in remaining Starbucks.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080701/starbucks_closings_urgent.html?.v=1

ralph wiggum
07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Even with the store closings, there will still be at least one Starbucks or a Walgreens on every corner in the city of Chicago & suburbs. :rolleyes:

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Even with the store closings, there will still be at least one Starbucks or a Walgreens on every corner in the city of Chicago & suburbs. :rolleyes:

Not so out here in the Connecticut hinterlands. We have 1 Starbucks in downtown Hartford, but, within a two block radius of our apartment tower, there are at least 4 Dunking Donuts! And people spend lots of money on studies to find out why Americans are overweight! :eek: :D

patriot45
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Not so out here in the Connecticut hinterlands. We have 1 Starbucks in downtown Hartford, but, within a two block radius of our apartment tower, there are at least 4 Dunking Donuts! And people spend lots of money on studies to find out why Americans are overweight! :eek: :D

Even in podunk Plant City we have a Starbucks, we even have a Panera Bread and a Dunkin donuts!

Zeus
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
No Starbucks in Cove but there is one down 190 in killeen. Couple dozen mom & pop franchise coffee shops around though.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
We actually have Starbucks stores inside grocery stores here - not to mention at every intersection. I've had exactly 1 Starbucks coffee in my life and that was 1 too many.

CLibertarian
07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
We actually have Starbucks stores inside grocery stores here - not to mention at every intersection. I've had exactly 1 Starbucks coffee in my life and that was 1 too many.

They are in one of the local Target stores here. The only starbucks that I visit is in the United Air Terminal in Chicago O'Hare and I avoid that airport like the plague.

lacarnut
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Glad I did not listen to my ex-g.f. advise and invest in this dog. We have several here; never been in one as I am not a coffee drinker.

LogansPapa
07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Five stores within a 1-mile radius from the shop: Three in market - two freestanding, with drive-thrus.

I've never spent a dollar at any of them - ever.:p

nightflight
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Where the hell am I going to get my overpriced burnt coffee now??

Constitutionally Speaking
07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
No Starbucks in Cove but there is one down 190 in killeen. Couple dozen mom & pop franchise coffee shops around though.

The closest Starbucks to me is @ 45 miles away!!! The closest similar store is @ 25 miles away! I live in the boonies (and I like it that way!!)

Cold Warrior
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm a bit surprised at the rather virulent reaction to Starbuck's here. I actually got (back) into the Starbucks' habit last Spring/Summer when I was working on Wall Street. On this gig, there's actually a very good coffee shop on Park called Gregory's which has free wi-fi.

Zafod
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Where the hell am I going to get my overpriced burnt coffee now??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Five stores within a 1-mile radius from the shop: Three in market - two freestanding, with drive-thrus.

Oh, I didn't actually pay for it - I used a free coupon. :D

linda22003
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
within a two block radius of our apartment tower, there are at least 4 Dunking Donuts!

It's not Dunking Donuts. I finally understand why they call you an elitist baaaaastard. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
They are all over metro Detroit. There are even 5 or 6 in the city, in "safe" locations like downtown, WSU, across from Orchestra Hall, etc.

Cold Warrior
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
It's not Dunking Donuts. I finally understand why they call you an elitist baaaaastard. :rolleyes:

The most current is "elitist prick." :D And I seriously thought it was "Dunking Donuts," although I would have probably written "Dunking Doughnuts" except that I was trying to shed that elitist image and all.

YupItsMe
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Good for you! Can't get out without spending $5.00 anyways. Where will the Yuppies buy a $5.00 cup of coffee now. Interesting how even the most polar opposites on this site can find something in common. :)

biccat
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm a bit surprised at the rather virulent reaction to Starbuck's here. I actually got (back) into the Starbucks' habit last Spring/Summer when I was working on Wall Street. On this gig, there's actually a very good coffee shop on Park called Gregory's which has free wi-fi.
Overpriced coffee and unsecured wireless internet? Man, I can't believe what I've been missing. :rolleyes:

enslaved1
07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I tried them a couple of times, and have yet to think that the product is worth the price. Of course, that didn't stop me from putting in an app in my search for a second job.

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Overpriced coffee and unsecured wireless internet? Man, I can't believe what I've been missing. :rolleyes:

A $4 latte doesn't mean much to me and I rarely send info over unsecured wireless that is particularly sensitive, e.g., bank logons, etc. I'm paying for the convenience and for the coffee, which I like once or twice a day.

marinejcksn
07-06-2008, 01:15 AM
They were actually trying to get a Starbucks out here in Iraq on the air base. Luckily, we got a Green Bean Coffee instead. Their frozen Latte makes the 110 degree temperatures all the more worth it.:D

expat-pattaya
07-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Let's see. I'm 70 miles south of Bangkok in the second or third largest city in Thailand. I am within two blocks of TWO Starbucks. I don't think you should pronounce them dead yet :D

Aklover
07-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Good less places for smelly hippies and speed freaks to congregate.

Cold Warrior
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Good less places for smelly hippies and speed freaks to congregate.

Odd. Most Starbucks I've frequented, in NYC's Financial District and formerly in London's Square Mile, had more Armani suits than smelly hippies. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a smelly hippy in a Starbucks. However, I have seen a bunch of fat rednecks and white-bread burbites in "Dunkin" (is that right, Linda :D) Doughnuts.

Space Gravy
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Shunned Starbucks in Aussie exit

The mighty Starbucks coffee empire has been handed a heavy defeat by thousands of small Australian cafes in the fight for a nation's taste buds.

Eight years after it began selling its espressos and frappucinos in Australia, the US giant has succumbed to powerful financial and cultural pressures and has closed 61 of its 85 shops across the country.

Savouring a morning cup of coffee has become a ritual for millions of Australians - yet one that Starbucks failed to capitalise on, in spite of the way the chain had become a global cultural phenomenon during the 1990s.

"It was maybe too standardised," says Michael Edwardson, a consumer psychologist in Melbourne.

"Early on it was unique and different, but as it became a global chain the standardisation made it lose some of that coolness and edginess. It was quickly copied and lost its lustre.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7540480.stm)

Eyelids
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I've had Starbucks a few times before, I dont remember it being bad or anything its just I never really felt the need to come back. There are a little bit too many of them, and for anybody who thinks hippies go to Starbucks I implore you to leave the outskirts of Nowhere, USA at least once in your life.