PDA

View Full Version : Bickering kids booted from car; mom arrested

bijou
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Ever threaten to kick your fighting children out of the car and drive off?

Madlyn Primoff, a 45-year-old Park Avenue lawyer, has been accused of doing just that Sunday evening in downtown White Plains, N.Y. Police say she ordered her two quarreling daughters from the car and drove away. One is 12, the other 10.

The 12-year-old ran after the car and was let in when she caught up. She and mom went home to Scarsdale, about 3 miles away.

The 10-year-old was left behind, crying. A passerby saw the girl, bought her ice cream and called the local police, who took her to the station.

The girl gave police her mother's name and their address, a $2 million house in well-to-do Scarsdale.

Soon after, Primoff called White Plains police to report her daughter missing. Police told her to come get her. Primoff was arrested when she showed up. ...

link (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/04/ny-lawyer-mom-arrested-for-booting-bickering-kids-from-car.html)

Not ideal parenting, but I bet the kids won't do that again.

noonwitch
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
It's an issue for family counseling, not for foster care or law enforcement (other than giving mom a warning). It's not little kids we're talking about.

When my sister was about 7, my mom left her at a store, once. She refused to leave (she wanted something that my mom wouldn't buy for her), and started throwing her usual tantrum (all out, writhing on the floor while yelling "I hate you" at my mom), so my brother and I got into the car with my mom (while my sister was watching us from the store's entrance). As my mom drove by the door, she came running out, crying, and my mom pulled around to get her. It worked, she didn't pull that one again.

bijou
04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
It's an issue for family counseling, not for foster care or law enforcement (other than giving mom a warning). It's not little kids we're talking about.

When my sister was about 7, my mom left her at a store, once. She refused to leave (she wanted something that my mom wouldn't buy for her), and started throwing her usual tantrum (all out, writhing on the floor while yelling "I hate you" at my mom), so my brother and I got into the car with my mom (while my sister was watching us from the store's entrance). As my mom drove by the door, she came running out, crying, and my mom pulled around to get her. It worked, she didn't pull that one again.

I can imagine that her bickering offspring go on her last nerve, the idea was good it just didn't end well. :)

Gingersnap
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
This was absolutely a normal parental tactic when I was a kid. We lived in the middle of nowhere so going anywhere involved a long drive. Kids naturally fight and whine in cars. Adults naturally think about murder. A decent compromise was for the driver to issue the dreaded, "don't make me pull over" line.

Of course, for this to work, your parents had to actually pull over and throw you out at least once.

The sad part for us was that parents usually liked to drive out of sight to create the scariest impression and in Wyoming that could take like 20 minutes. :D

AlmostThere
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
link (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/04/ny-lawyer-mom-arrested-for-booting-bickering-kids-from-car.html)

Not ideal parenting, but I bet the kids won't do that again.

Not ideal parenting to put it mildly. We tell kids never to talk to strangers because there are bad people out there. Then this mom puts a 10 year old girl out on the street. What did she think the kid was going to do? It's a shame the cops weren't thinking when the woman called to report her daughter missing. They should have sent a policeman to her home to take the report and when finished, arrested her for filing a false report as well as child endangerment.

When I was about this girl's age I told my mom I was leaving. I was running away. My mom told me to be sure and take care of myself and that she was going to miss me. She then helped me pack a bag and walked me to the end of the driveway. She stood there telling me good-bye as I tried to figure out what the hell I was going to do. She told me I stood there for a couple minutes and then turned around and said I wasn't going to leave after all. We walked back in the house and that was the end of my vagabond days. I realize this is a different situation all together. My point is I think it is possible to teach a child a lesson, maybe scare them silly, but without putting them in danger in the process. We are correct when we tell them that there are bad people out there.

linda22003
04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Obviously, the central problem here is that people tend to have more than one child. That's the cause of bickering between children, having more than one of them.

noonwitch
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Obviously, the central problem here is that people tend to have more than one child. That's the cause of bickering between children, having more than one of them.

My mom was convinced that it was having two girls that was the problem. She told us that if she had two boys and one girl, there wouldn't be so much bickering. She would tell us that boys punch each other out, then it's over. My sister and I rarely fought in a physical sense (I kicked her ass once when my mom was out of town for the weekend), and we really didn't argue that much.

My brother, on the other hand, beat the crap out of both of us on a regular basis. I was at his mercy until I realized how incapacitating a kick to the groin is to a guy, and that it was the only way to fight back when he pinned my arms down and drooled loogies on my face.

linda22003
04-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Another post that reinforces my "one child" policy. I was the "one child", of course. :p

Lars1701a
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
My mom was convinced that it was having two girls that was the problem. She told us that if she had two boys and one girl, there wouldn't be so much bickering. She would tell us that boys punch each other out, then it's over. My sister and I rarely fought in a physical sense (I kicked her ass once when my mom was out of town for the weekend), and we really didn't argue that much.

My brother, on the other hand, beat the crap out of both of us on a regular basis. I was at his mercy until I realized how incapacitating a kick to the groin is to a guy, and that it was the only way to fight back when he pinned my arms down and drooled loogies on my face.

Your brother sounded like a real douche when he was a kid.

I only have one brother and we got along well. I wish I had a sister though a couple of years younger so I could play the big brother role when her friends came over :D

Apocalypse
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Another post that reinforces my "one child" policy. I was the "one child", of course. :p
My best friend growing up was a single child. Spoiled rotten to the core. Because he got what he wanted all the time because he was a only child, he grew up expecting it. My self, I am the youngest of three, so it was hand-me downs and I got what they could afford, not what I wanted.

OT.

Talking to my mother last night, she had seen that on the news and said she often times felt like doing just that with the three of us at times. No not having two boys and one girl is not the answer. As that is the mix in my family. We three fought all the time.

linda22003
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
My best friend growing up was a single child. Spoiled rotten to the core. Because he got what he wanted all the time because he was a only child, he grew up expecting it.

That can certainly happen, especially if families are well to do. I was not given everything I wanted all the time by ANY means, and was not spoiled in that sense. I do understand working for what I have. However, since I was raised in an atmosphere where money was never, ever an issue, I admit I have insufficient understanding of what life is like for people who don't have enough, or who have trouble managing because money is tight.
Oh, well. I'll manage to live with that defect. ;)

noonwitch
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Your brother sounded like a real douche when he was a kid.

I only have one brother and we got along well. I wish I had a sister though a couple of years younger so I could play the big brother role when her friends came over :D

You will be glad to know that he is now an ordained minister, a licensed child psychologist and a happily married father of 3 really good kids.

Shannon
04-24-2009, 09:55 AM

OMG! We have the same brother.:p My mother had two boys and one girl. It didn't help the fighting.

Lars1701a
04-24-2009, 10:09 AM
You will be glad to know that he is now an ordained minister, a licensed child psychologist and a happily married father of 3 really good kids.

Its funny how that happens. Guess he grew out of it :D