PDA

View Full Version : Obama misreads Cuban offer, Fidel Castro says

wiegenlied
04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- President Obama misinterpreted Cuban President Raśl Castro's offer to start talks with the United States, Castro's brother Fidel said Wednesday, appearing to dismiss the U.S. leader's call for Cuba to release political prisoners.

<snip>

Obama lifted all restrictions on visits and money transfers between American citizens and relatives in Cuba this month, while Raśl Castro said Cuba is prepared to talk with the United States about "everything -- human rights, freedom of the press, political prisoners."

Speaking at a conference of inter-American and Caribbean leaders Sunday, Obama said the Cuban leader's declaration was "a sign of progress."

He added that the Cuban government could send a much clearer, more positive signal by releasing political prisoners or reducing fees charged on remittances Americans send to relatives in the country.

But Fidel Castro wrote Wednesday, "There is no doubt that the president misinterpreted Raśl's statements."

"When the president of Cuba said he was ready to discuss any topic with the U.S. president, he meant he was not afraid of addressing any issue," Castro wrote. "That shows his courage and confidence on the principles of the revolution."

He said Cuba would be willing to release prisoners held since a 2003 crackdown on dissidents if the United States would release five Cubans convicted of spying in 2001.

And he criticized Obama for not doing more to lift the U.S. embargo on Cuba, imposed in 1962.

Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/22/castro.cuba.obama/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Yep Mr. President hopefully we can befriend Castro's brothers :rolleyes:

lacarnut
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Our dumb ass Prez gets a swift kick in the balls by a 2 bit commie. His amateruish flubs will fill a bushel basket in the near future.

Speedy
04-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Our rookie President was supposed to take the world by storm on this last trip. Instead he was made to look like a fool everywhere. He has been sized up. Next trip, Obama will get noogies and wedgies everywhere he goes. The sad part is, he will interpret the noogies and wedgies as good things.

ironhorsedriver
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Obama is quite definitely an embarrassment to our Country. His Royal Court even more so. Hitlery, with her cuts on Chaney in congressional committees, Napolitano, if she opens her mouth, she shows her stupidity. Geitner, well, he's just an idiot. And the Justice Dept. is run by a total nut job. It's going to be a long, hard 4 years. I'd be laughing with the rest of the world, if they couldn't do so much damage with their incompetence.

Proud Mom
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Got a big laugh out of Ironhorsedrivers nick name "Hitlery" Made my day!

wiegenlied
04-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Another one...

Chavez: Smiles, handshakes don't change view of 'imperialist' U.S.

(CNN) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Friday he appreciated U.S. President Barack Obama's friendly gestures at last weekend's Summit of the Americas, but said they don't change his view of the United States as an imperialist nation.

snip

He was photographed with Obama at least twice at the summit -- once when Obama shook hands with him and other leaders, and again when he approached Obama to give him a book.

"The hand[shake], yes. And the smile, yes -- one time and a second time and a third time and a fourth time," Chavez said during a televised address. "But nobody should be mistaken. The empire is there, alive and kicking."

The book Chavez presented to Obama as cameras rolled is titled "Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent." The book chronicles Europe's and the United States' role in "the effects and causes of capitalist underdevelopment in Latin America," according to one reviewer.

As he has in the past, Chavez noted Obama's historic role as the first black U.S. president.

"I hope Obama, for the dignity of his race, may be the last president of an imperialist United States," he said.

Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/04/24/chavez.us/index.html

now, wasn't the president won because people believe he can turn enemies into friends? friends of general public, i meant, not 'personal' friends?

it is very apparent that it didn't work. :rolleyes:
now, can i say 'i tell you so" ? :rolleyes:

but hey, he has three more years to fix the mess up, then, maybe once he captures that terror mastermind and get the nation back on track, I shall have no doubt in 'change'? :rolleyes:

and mr chavez shut up and mind your own business please. don't expect us to be a venezuela :rolleyes: