PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage? How about no marriage?

stsinner
04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
At least one Iowa magistrate has decided that he will no longer perform marriages, a response due in part to the Iowa Supreme Court ruling that allows same-sex couples to marry.

Third District Magistrate Francis Honrath of Larchwood on Wednesday said he will not be performing marriages.

"The Supreme Court ruling had something to do with it, but the truth is it's not just same-sex marriage I had problems with," said Honrath, a Creighton University law school graduate who is married and has seven children.
Advertisement

More judges are expected to take similar action, which could make it challenging for even heterosexuals to marry, a political science professor, a chief district court judge and a same-sex marriage opponent speculated.

The link (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090423/NEWS10/904230387)

FlaGator
04-23-2009, 12:09 PM
At least one Iowa magistrate has decided that he will no longer perform marriages, a response due in part to the Iowa Supreme Court ruling that allows same-sex couples to marry.

Third District Magistrate Francis Honrath of Larchwood on Wednesday said he will not be performing marriages.

"The Supreme Court ruling had something to do with it, but the truth is it's not just same-sex marriage I had problems with," said Honrath, a Creighton University law school graduate who is married and has seven children.
Advertisement

More judges are expected to take similar action, which could make it challenging for even heterosexuals to marry, a political science professor, a chief district court judge and a same-sex marriage opponent speculated.

The link (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090423/NEWS10/904230387)

I suspect that this will lead to the same argument used against pharmacists whose moral convictions lead them to avoid selling birth control pills and the morning after pills. Some heterophobes will say that these magistrates have to perform marriages or else they will be denying heterophobes they right to marry. It should be interesting.

noonwitch
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
In honor of the birthday boy:

"I say, we will have no more marriages: those that are married already, all but one, shall live; the rest shall keep as they are."

A line from Hamlet's rant at Ophelia.