PDA

View Full Version : Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’

Odysseus
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’
By Noel Sheppard
Created 2007-11-07 18:58

If the founder of The Weather Channel spoke out strongly against the manmade global warming myth, might media members notice?

We're going to find out the answer to that question soon, for John Coleman wrote an article [1] published at ICECAP Wednesday that should certainly garner attention from press members -- assuming journalism hasn't been completely replaced by propagandist activism, that is.

Coleman marvelously began (emphasis added, h/t NB reader coffee250):

It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create in [sic] allusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environmental whacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the "research" to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. Soon they claimed to be a consensus.

Environmental extremists, notable politicians among them, then teamed up with movie, media and other liberal, environmentalist journalists to create this wild "scientific" scenario of the civilization threatening environmental consequences from Global Warming unless we adhere to their radical agenda. Now their ridiculous manipulated science has been accepted as fact and become a cornerstone issue for CNN, CBS, NBC, the Democratic Political Party, the Governor of California, school teachers and, in many cases, well informed but very gullible environmental conscientious citizens. Only one reporter at ABC has been allowed to counter the Global Warming frenzy with one 15 minutes documentary segment.

[...]

I have read dozens of scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct. There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril. I am incensed by the incredible media glamour, the politically correct silliness and rude dismissal of counter arguments by the high priest of Global Warming.

In time, a decade or two, the outrageous scam will be obvious.

Let's hope so, John; let's hope so.

Source URL:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/11/07/weather-channel-founder-global-warming-greatest-scam-history
Links:
http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/comments_about_global_warming/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENTS ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING

By John Coleman

jcoleman@kusi.com

it is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM.

Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data back in the late 1990's to create an allusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environmental wacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the "research" to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. Soon they claimed to be a consensus.

Environmental extremist, notable politicians among them then teamed up with movie, media and other liberal, environmentalist journalists to create this wild "scientific" scenario of the civilization threatening environmental consequences from Global Warming unless we adhere to their radical agenda.

Now their ridicules manipulated science has been accepted as fact and become a cornerstone issue for CNN, CBS, NBC, the Democratic Political Party, the Governor of California, school teachers and, in many cases, well informed but very gullible environmental conscientious citizens. Only one reporter at ABC has been allowed to counter the Global Warming frenzy with one 15 minutes documentary segment.

I do not oppose environmentalism. I do not oppose the political positions of either party.

However, Global Warming, i.e. Climate Change, is not about environmentalism or politics. It is not a religion. It is not something you "believe in." It is science; the science of meteorology. This is my field of life-long expertise. And I am telling you Global Warming is a nonevent, a manufactured crisis and a total scam. I say this knowing you probably won't believe me, a mere TV weatherman, challenging a Nobel Prize, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning former Vice President of United States. So be it.

I suspect you might like to say to me, "John, look the research that supports the case for global warming was done by research scientists; people with PH D's in Meteorology. They are employed by major universities and important research institutions. Their work has been reviewed by other scientists with PH D's. They have to know a lot more about it than you do. Come on, John, get with it. The experts say our pollution has created an strong and increasing greenhouse effect and a rapid, out of control global warming is underway that will sky rocket temperatures, destroy agriculture, melt the ice caps, flood the coastlines and end life as we know it. How can you dissent from this crisis? You must be a bit nutty.

Allow me, please, to explain how I think this all came about. Our universities have become somewhat isolated from the rest of us. There is a culture and attitudes and values and pressures on campus that are very different. I know this group well. My father and my older brother were both PHD-University types. I was raised in the university culture. Any person who spends a decade at a university obtaining a PHD in Meteorology and become a research scientist, more likely than not, becomes a part of that single minded culture. They all look askance at the rest of us, certain of their superiority. They respect government and disrespect business, particularly big business. They are environmentalists above all else.

And, there is something else. These scientists know that if they do research and results are in no way alarming, their research will gather dust on the shelf and their research careers will languish. But if they do research that sounds alarms, they will become well known and respected and receive scholarly awards and, very importantly, more research dollars will come flooding their way.

So when these researchers did climate change studies in the late 90's they were eager to produce findings that would be important and be widely noticed and trigger more research funding. It was easy for them to manipulate the data to come up with the results they wanted to make headlines and at the same time drive their environmental agendas. Then their like minded PHD colleagues reviewed their work and hastened to endorse it without question.

There were a few who didn't fit the mold. They did ask questions and raised objections. They did research with contradictory results. The environmental elitists berated them brushed their studies aside.

I have learned since the Ice Age is coming scare in the 1970's to always be a skeptic about research. In the case of global warming, I didn't accept media accounts. Instead I read dozens of the scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct when I assure you there is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril. It is all a scam, the result of bad science.

I am not alone in this assessment. There are hundreds of other meteorologists, many of them PH D's, who are as certain as I am that this global warming frenzy is based on bad science and is not valid.

I am incensed by the incredible media glamour, the politically correct silliness and rude dismal of counter arguments by the high priest of Global Warming.

In time, a decade or two, the outrageous scam will be obvious. As the temperature rises, polar ice cap melting, coastal flooding and super storm pattern all fail to occur as predicted everyone will come to realize we have been duped.

The sky is not falling. And, natural cycles and drifts in climate are as much if not more responsible for any climate changes underway.

I strongly believe that the next twenty years are equally as likely to see a cooling trend as they are to see a warming trend.

hazlnut
04-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Old news. the guy is total joke. He has no scientific credentials or training to make his opinion valid. Get a clue.

Nice try, though.

If you really want to stay current on the latest pathetic denialist propaganda you should check out Inhofe's sorry blog.

In all honesty, with the latest studies coming out from legitimate science, this type of crap is beyond pathetic. To continue to act stupid in the face of overwhelming evidence, you're now putting my family and my children at risk. So f*ck off with this shite.

Everyone's so damn worried about their taxes, while it won't matter if we don't cut carbon emmissions YESTERDAY! It's not 100 years off you selfish prick. It's 15 years off. So pull your head out of your arse, stop reading stuff you know is horse crap because it makeS you feel better about your party and get with the program.

It's not about conservatives vs. Gore. It's about blind ignorance hurting us all.

Lecture over. Don't take it too hard.

djones520
04-26-2009, 08:07 AM
It's not about conservatives vs. Gore. It's about blind ignorance hurting us all.

Whats funny is your so right, just for all the wrong reasons. It's the ignorant masses who are driving us down this road that's going to cause massive amounts of damage to this nation, while doing nothing at all to "save the world".

You global warming nuts are so keen on forcing an incomplete scientific theory onto us that it's disgusting. You want to force our government to spend billions to possibly trillions of dollars on a theory that has been in no way proven. And that is simply insane.

SarasotaRepub
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
It's interesting, the weather guys sometimes can't get a forecast correct for a day.

But we're supposed to believe "models" that are going to predict decades in advance.
You need to get a clue Hazelnut. Global Warming isn't science, it's an industry.

I really laugh at people who just buy into this crap based on weather models of all
fracken things. You do remember all the "experts" were talking about a new
ICE AGE just recently, don't you?? That line of horseshit didn't work so well so
the "experts" switched to GLOBAL WARMING.

Pathetic.

djones520
04-26-2009, 11:41 AM
It's interesting, the weather guys sometimes can't get a forecast correct for a day.

But we're supposed to believe "models" that are going to predict decades in advance.
You need to get a clue Hazelnut. Global Warming isn't science, it's an industry.

I really laugh at people who just buy into this crap based on weather models of all
fracken things. You do remember all the "experts" were talking about a new
ICE AGE just recently, don't you?? That line of horseshit didn't work so well so
the "experts" switched to GLOBAL WARMING.

Pathetic.

Models are a great tool. But they are far from perfect. In the 7 years I've been forecasting, I've been all over the world. I've forecasted for most of the US, Japan, Korea, and the Stan's. I've worked with many differant models. The MM5, GFS, NAM, ETA, WRF, JMA, NOGAPS, and the KMA. I could probably say the best one out there was the JMA, but thats because it was only designed to forecast Japan, a relatively small region of the world. With my years of experience in dealing with these forecast models, I've learned one thing that has never failed me.

NEVER TRUST THE MODELS.

They are a great guide. But they are not always right. A true forecaster will never blindly follow their lead. He'll use them to get an idea of what may happen, and then use the multitude of other forecasting techniques at his hand to develop a good forecast.

Another thing that my time as a weather forecaster has taught me is that there is no computer in this world that is truly capable of computing what will happen on a global scale. The mechanics of our planets atmosphere are just to huge to imagine. In 7 years of working with it day in and day out it's still nearly impossible for me to grasp just how complex everything is. To build a program that actually has a reasonable expecation of figuring it out?

Well, all I gotta say is take a look at how well some of those climate forecasts have been nailing it. Scroll through some of the Japanese Meteorogogical Associations data, and you'll see the "forecasts" haven't been to reliable. Take a look at the NHC's verification rate. In 2008 they had a verification rate of about 40% in the Atlantic with about 15% in the Pacific.

In my opinion, humanity just doesn't have the capability yet to truly do what these "scientists" are saying that they are doing. If they could accurately forecast a shift in global temperature by a degree or two, do to THOUSANDS of differant factors, then they'd be able to more properly forecast rain fall totals in Asia, or Hurricane development rates.

SarasotaRepub
04-26-2009, 03:02 PM
djones...please!!! AlGore has Google and PowerPoint at his disposal!!!

:rolleyes::D

Bongo55
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Old news. the guy is total joke. He has no scientific credentials or training to make his opinion valid. Get a clue.

Nice try, though.

If you really want to stay current on the latest pathetic denialist propaganda you should check out Inhofe's sorry blog.

In all honesty, with the latest studies coming out from legitimate science, this type of crap is beyond pathetic. To continue to act stupid in the face of overwhelming evidence, you're now putting my family and my children at risk. So f*ck off with this shite.

Everyone's so damn worried about their taxes, while it won't matter if we don't cut carbon emmissions YESTERDAY! It's not 100 years off you selfish prick. It's 15 years off. So pull your head out of your arse, stop reading stuff you know is horse crap because it makeS you feel better about your party and get with the program.

And where are al gores credentials?
Also can you tell all of us poor dumb-asses here how much carbon, amonst other many varied "greenhouse gases" are emitted during your average volcano eruption?
This is a scam pure and simple, twenty years ago it was global cooling.
And if you wish to see blind ignorance, try your nearest mirror.
Lecture over

djones520
04-26-2009, 04:47 PM
And where are al gores credentials?
Also can you tell all of us poor dumb-asses here how much carbon, amonst other many varied "greenhouse gases" are emitted during your average volcano eruption?
This is a scam pure and simple, twenty years ago it was global cooling.
And if you wish to see blind ignorance, try your nearest mirror.
Lecture over

Mt. Redoubt alone probably put up more CO2 then all the factories in the world this year, during it's month long eruption.

We where tracking 6 eruptions yesterday. That's a lot of CO2. :rolleyes:

Bongo55
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
And these eruptions have been going on for how long...... since mabey the "f"ing begining of time. and the planet seems to have done just fine.

This planet can shake us off any time it pleases llike a dog with a bad case of fleas.

wilbur
04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Mt. Redoubt alone probably put up more CO2 then all the factories in the world this year, during it's month long eruption.

We where tracking 6 eruptions yesterday. That's a lot of CO2. :rolleyes:

Just how much CO2 is the volcano expected to release?

Odysseus
04-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Nice try, though.

Why would I take it hard? I'd have to have a modicum of respect for you in order to be offended, but since I know that you're a journalist, i.e., a hack poseur, that ship has sailed. Instead, I'm just amused. After all, in one diatribe, you've managed to hit every cliche of climate alarmism without citing a single fact. It would be funny if I didn't think that this was the extent of your reasoning on the subject, and it makes me wonder whether you are this poorly informed on the other things that you write about. Allow me to sum up your arguments:

Anyone who disagrees with the climatistas is a "denialist," that all arguments to the contrary of your position are pathetic propaganda, put forward by "selfish prick(s)" with our heads up our "arse(s)" (love the British spelling, by the way, simultaneously earthy and pretentious, just like your movement), and that I am repeating "Stuff that (I) know is horsecrap" in order to feel better about my party and avoid a tax hike.

We must adopt an agenda immediately for the sake of your children.

The great and powerful god Science tells us that the Earth is warming and it's our fault .

Forgetting that the computer models which were supposed to predict the future cannot even account for the past when supplied with the documented data, forgetting that there was a cooling trend during the mid-eighties and early seventies, with only intermittent warming, forgetting that the predictions of shrinking ice floes have been debunked and the ice caps aren't shrinking, but are growing, and forgetting that even if we adopt the ruinous economic contraction demanded by Kyoto, the total effect will be a reduction of a fraction of a degree, I'll simply address your issues as you've raised them:

This fairly detailed set of scatological references isn't so much an argument as simply a string of abuse. To answer it in kind would be beneath me, and my profession actually does have standards of conduct and decorum (The UCMJ has an article against conduct unbecoming to an officer, while to my knowledge, no one has ever been charged with conduct unbecoming to a journalist), so I'll pass on responding in kind. Suffice to say that if I chose to go this route, there are things said in barracks that would singe your ears. Besides, you're a poor substitute for Gator, whose command of profanity is truly entertaining, and like him, you respond with sound and fury when you cannot respond with facts. Your impotent rage undermines your arguments, not mine.

While I'm sure that your family and children are perfectly lovely, so are mine, and I'm more concerned about impoverishing them and destroying their future through a shortsighted policy of economic austerity and centralized planning in support of a fad, and make no mistake about it, this is as much a scientific fad as the early 20th Century's obsession with eugenics, the 19th Century's belief in phrenology and every other academic fraud that's come down the pike, and the cost and the benefits are so completely out of balance that it makes no sense to impose the policy. The truth is that even if implemented, cap and trade will reduce carbon emission by such an infinitismal amount that over the course of the next century, we can expect to see a difference of less than .2 degrees celsius, while the economic impacts will be disastrous. Your children will be better off if the central planners don't get to narrow their future opportunities in the name of a false and misleading science, which brings me to...:

You say that the science is settled. It isn't. First, you are assuming that the current climate is the best possible climate that there is, that any change either way will be catastrophic. That's simply delusional. The cliimate has changed repeatedly during recorded history, with warming periods and little ice ages alternating on a cycle that has no corelation to atmospheric gases, but which does have a corelation to another phenomenon. In fact, there are significant studies showing that carbon dioxide levels actually follow warming trends, rather than precede them, which makes carbon levels an effect rather than a cause. The true cause of climate change is not atmospheric, at least not in the long term, but solar (short term effects of volcanic activity have shown that if you put enough dust and debris into the atmosphere to block sunlight, you will get some cooling, but by that logic, increased carbon emissions, especially with larger particles, would tend to have a global cooling effect). There is an almost perfect corelation between increased solar activity, as indicated by solar flares and sunspots, and climate change. Periods of increased activity are periods of increased temperature, while periods of decreased solar activity are periods of decreasing temperatures. The ultimate proof of this, BTW, is the measured temperatures on Mars and Venus, which have paralleled Earth temperatures since we have been able to accurately record them. Unless you want to make the claim that there are SUVs on Mars and that Venus is in desperate need of cap and trade taxes, I'd say that you have a hole in your theory.

Anyway, it's been fun trading barbs with you, but it hasn't been particularly challenging. Do some research, cite some studies, and maybe you'll be able to reply with more than insults and unsupported assertions masquerading as facts.

ironhorsedriver
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Nice try, though.

You mean like those illustrious credentials the Al Whore has? I think if you check, you'll find more scientist's dispute Global Warming, than support it. But, just like our Congresses committee meeting, they refuse to let those that disagree be heard. And yes, I'm more worried about my taxes than Global Warming.