PDA

View Full Version : Rene Marie was introduced to sing the national anthem. But that's not what she sang.

megimoo
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
'Black National Anthem' At State Of City Stirs Controversy

One of the most notable incidents from Tuesday's State of the City address occurred even before the mayor's speech began. After the Pledge of Allegiance, Rene Marie was introduced to sing the national anthem. But that's not what she sang.

Martin actually sang the tune of the traditional national anthem with the lyrics to "Lift Every Voice and Sing." It's a song some have called the National Black Anthem, the Negro National Anthem or the Black National Anthem. Once she finished performing, there was a moment of awkward silence and then the crowd gave her mild applause. Marie said she understood why the audience was confused, since the song sounded familiar but the lyrics were different.

"Art is supposed to make you think. I wanted to express how I felt, being a black woman living in this country," Marie told 7NEWS.

The Denver Mayor's Office said it wasn't aware that Marie was planning to sing that version of the song.

"We were as surprised as anyone that jazz singer René Marie did not sing our national anthem at today's State of the City ceremony, as our staff had requested," Mayor John Hickenlooper said in prepared statement.

"As I listened to her sing, I assumed she would eventually move into the traditional Star Spangled Banner. I called her personally this afternoon to understand what happened. She explained her song was an artistic expression of her love for her country. She said she meant no disrespect of any kind and that her song was in no way intended to be a political statement. She apologized for any problems she may have created," Hickenlooper said. "I'm disappointed that this matter has been a distraction from the great work and significant accomplishments of our city employees over the past year and the many important initiatives on tap for the coming year.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/16762609/detail.html

Shannon
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Give me a fucking break.:rolleyes:

gator
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
If you think this is bad just wait until Obama is Prez.

For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?

Having the Blacks sing the Black National Anthem will be the least of our problems.

Life as we know it will be over. America will be fucked.

MrsSmith
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Modern Slavery 101

Contrary to popular belief, slavery didn’t end with Abraham Lincoln in 1865. Experts estimate that today there are 27 million people enslaved around the world.

Contemporary Child Slavery in Mauritania
By Libbie Snyder
For the past 800 years, child slaves in Mauritania have been as invisible in their own community as the country’s institution of slavery has been to international eyes. In Mauritania today, an estimated one million of the population live as slaves and approximately half of slaves are children.

http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_in_depth/

There are many people far worse off than the decendents of slaves. Not to mention the fact that worldwide, slavery has been so prevalent, we are all probably decendent of slaves.

Gingersnap
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Lift Every Voice And Sing Lyrics:

Lift every voice and sing, till earth and Heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise, high as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod, bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat, have not our weary feet,
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered;
Out from the gloomy past, till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years, God of our silent tears,
Thou Who hast brought us thus far on the way;
Thou Who hast by Thy might, led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee.
Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee.
Shadowed beneath Thy hand, may we forever stand,
True to our God, true to our native land.

My family has done plenty of stony trodding and silent weeping but I have no desire to hear that expressed in a community song of any kind. :mad:

What's ironic here is that blacks are way overrepresented in Denver city employee demographics. Denver is really a white/Hispanic town.

The Looper is just an idiot.

Shannon
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_in_depth/

There are many people far worse off than the decendents of slaves. Not to mention the fact that worldwide, slavery has been so prevalent, we are all probably decendent of slaves.

I'm waiting for reparations from England for what they put my ancestors through.:rolleyes:

jinxmchue
07-02-2008, 01:39 AM
For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?.

Ooo! Ooo! I do! I do! It means "forcing white crackers to bend over and be f'ed over by black people who are brainwashed into thinking they have some sort of entitlement due to something that happened decades ago to now long-dead black people who may or may not be related to people today." Something like that. It's late.

Elspeth
07-02-2008, 06:07 AM
'Black National Anthem' At State Of City Stirs Controversy

"Art is supposed to make you think. I wanted to express how I felt, being a black woman living in this country," Marie told 7NEWS.

But that wasn't what she was hired to do. She was hired to sing the National Anthem. If she felt ill equipped to do it, there are many other professional singers (including a friend of mine who does USO shows) who would have been very happy to have sung the National Anthem.

I hope they put a stop-payment on that check. She broke the contract.

noonwitch
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
We sing the first verse only during Black History month in my church, just like we sing the Battle Hymn of The Republic on Memorial Day weekend, and probably this Sunday, we will sing God Bless America. I like the words to the first verse, it's a good song if you just stick that. I will note that "Lift Every Voice And Sing" is sung at pretty much every formal city government function in Detroit.

She should have sang both songs, with "Star-Spangled Banner" first.

linda22003
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I have no objection to any of the lyrics, and the music is beautiful. But it's not the song she was contracted to sing.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, this whole thing has blown up and exploded. The Looper is acting befuddled, the city council (or the vocal part of it) is furious, it's all over talk radio, and I expect it will get picked up by the national media.

I was not even aware that there was a "black national anthem". The entire concept makes no sense unless you hail from Liberia.

The smart money says that she wanted to get noticed so she could sing at the DNC next month. :rolleyes:

Really, with the technology we have these days, there is just no need for erratic live performers anymore.

linda22003
07-02-2008, 10:38 AM
It's been around for over a century, Ginger. You can hear the music here:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/i/liftevry.htm

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
It's been around for over a century, Ginger. You can hear the music here:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/i/liftevry.htm

Well, what is the white national anthem then? I wasn't told about that one either. :confused:

linda22003
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I think that one is the "Star Spangled Banner". It's certainly harder to sing, with that range of octaves to cover. You know it was originally a drinking song, right? :)

megimoo
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
If you think this is bad just wait until Obama is Prez.

For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?

Having the Blacks sing the Black National Anthem will be the least of our problems.

Life as we know it will be over. America will be fucked.
If Obama becomes POTUS what can we expect ?

National Anthem: Lift Every Voice And Sing:
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: To the Gay Rainbow Flag
Wesley Clark :First Stooge
Charles Rangel:Chief of Staff
Al Sharpton Jr. Extortionist in chief
Jesse Jackson, :Acolyte Extortionist in Training
Elijah Muhammad, Pope of church of Obama(COB)
Louis Farrakhan, Cardinal of COB
Barbara C. Harris, Bishop of the first (COB)
David Dinkins, First Minister of the (COB)
Carol Mosely Braun,: Supreme Court(Ginsberg)
Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm,Solicitor General
Maynard Jackson, Mayor of DC

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I think that one is the "Star Spangled Banner". It's certainly harder to sing, with that range of octaves to cover. You know it was originally a drinking song, right? :)

I know that tune was taken from a drinking song as is true of some very popular hymns. I just didn't know that every skin tone had their own anthem.

megimoo
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, this whole thing has blown up and exploded. The Looper is acting befuddled, the city council (or the vocal part of it) is furious, it's all over talk radio, and I expect it will get picked up by the national media.

I was not even aware that there was a "black national anthem". The entire concept makes no sense unless you hail from Liberia.

The smart money says that she wanted to get noticed so she could sing at the DNC next month. :rolleyes:

Really, with the technology we have these days, there is just no need for erratic live performers anymore.They all take advantage of their 'Moment in the Sun' to make some kind of statement .That ugly fat blimp RoseAnn Barr made a fool of herself by 'blowing' the song and grabbing her crotch when they booed her.
You are correct.They should use some famous voice recorded to do the National Anthem to stop all of this political madness !

biccat
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I know that tune was taken from a drinking song as is true of some very popular hymns. I just didn't know that every skin tone had their own anthem.
Only people that have been enslaved
...well, people's whose ancesters have been enslaved
...by people of a different race
...well, not enslaved by people of a different race, but sold to people of a different race
...within the last couple hundred years
...but only if the enslavers comprise the majority of people in the country
...and by different race we really mean different color
...but the color difference has to be pretty drastic

Ah, screw it, only blacks get a special national anthem.

megimoo
07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
...well, not enslaved by people of a different race, but sold to people of a different race

Ah, screw it, only blacks get a special national anthem.It's only 'fair' because we owe them !Their own tribes people in Africa sold them to the slave traders and they ended up in French territory in the Caribbean.The island of Hispaniola was divided between the French (on what is now Haiti) and the Spanish (on the current Dominican Republic).From there to French New Orleans and the Southern States of America .

In 1762, France had ceded Louisiana to Spain, but by the secret Treaty of San Ildefonso (1800) the French had regained the area. Napoleon Bonaparte (the future Emperor Napoleon I) envisioned a great French empire in the New World, and he hoped to use the Mississippi Valley as a food and trade center to supply the island of Hispaniola, which was to be the heart of this empire. First, however, he had to restore French control of Hispaniola, where Haitian slaves under TOUSSAINT L'OUVERTURE had seized power .

By a treaty signed on Apr. 30, 1803, the United States purchased from France the Louisiana Territory, more than 2 million sq km (800,000 sq mi) of land extending from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains. The price was 60 million francs, about $15 million; $11,250,000 was to be paid directly, with the balance to be covered by the assumption by the United States of French debts to American citizens.
The slaves were already there left by the French and Spanish settlers.

!

gator
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
These dumbass reparation morons don't understand that all Americans, including present day Blacks, benefited from slavery.

Slavery is what took our country from being a second rate colony to being an exporting nation. It was the foundation of our wealth.

All Blacks should get down on their knees and thank God their ancestors were slaves. Whites should get down on their knees and thank God that their ancestors had slaves.

It is not politically correct to say it but I don't give a shit.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Ah, screw it, only blacks get a special national anthem.

You so owe me a keyboard. :D

Vepr
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/roomie21/giveadamn.gif

I just cannot get to worked up over this one. It was silly of her but in the end who cares and I doubt she will get invited to sing the anthem at any other events after that.

megimoo
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
DENVER - Mayor John Hickenlooper's annual State of the City address may get more attention for what wasn't included than what was.

At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

Instead, she performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which is also known as the "black national anthem."

When she finished, the audience responded with mild applause. The national anthem was never performed.

Governor Bill Ritter (D-Colorado) discussed the incident on The Mike Rosen Show on 850 KOA on Wednesday morning, calling it "inappropriate."

"I don't think it's fair artistic expression," said Ritter.

Ritter went on to say he felt Marie's actions were "wrong" and "outside the bounds."

"It certainly is operating as a distraction," said Ritter.

Marie told 9NEWS she kept her plans to switch songs quiet until the very last moment. She says only she, her husband and a friend knew she was going to sing something other than the "Star-Spangled Banner."

She says she wanted to express her love of her country by mixing the lyrics of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" with the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner."

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.

Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.

When asked if he was offended, Hickenlooper said, "You know I was more confused and I think I was more ? what I was, was disappointed and confused and that's why I wanted to talk to her."

"Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1899 and set to music by his brother in 1900.

City Councilman Charlie Brown took to talk radio Tuesday afternoon to criticize the absence of the national anthem at the State of the City proceedings.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem, period," Brown said. "And that's what really bothered me. You know when we fly the flag, the American flag, it's always the highest flag, as it should be. And that didn't come across today, that didn't happen today."

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=94919&catid=339

Zeus
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
The City should withold payment. She did not perform the job she was hired to do.

megimoo
07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
The City should withold payment. She did not perform the job she was hired to do.These critters are Touchie/Feelie liberals, they can't do that !

I love this line "The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement. " Yeah Right,what a sh*t head that guy is !

Teetop
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Done in ebonics, it would be very humorous. If done "right"...

:)

gator
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
We can expect more disrespect of America by Blacks now that Obama is running. God help us if he wins.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Not enough laugh value for the Lounge. :)

AmPat
07-03-2008, 05:04 AM
These critters are Touchie/Feelie liberals, they can't do that !

I love this line "The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement. " Yeah Right,what a sh*t head that guy is !

"Intending" to offend is immaterial when it can be reasonably assumed that the action is/can/ or will be received as offensive. If it wasn't offensive, we wouldn't have known about it.:cool:

sgrooms
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
These dumbass reparation morons don't understand that all Americans, including present day Blacks, benefited from slavery.

Slavery is what took our country from being a second rate colony to being an exporting nation. It was the foundation of our wealth.

All Blacks should get down on their knees and thank God their ancestors were slaves. Whites should get down on their knees and thank God that their ancestors had slaves.

It is not politically correct to say it but I don't give a shit.

Thank you, Gator. I wonder how many people feel this way and are just afraid to state it out loud. So many fear the PC police anymore that you can't fart sideways without offending someone.

So sad too. The could be in Africa eating bugs and living on a $100 per year. Thank God they are here by whatever means and living so much better than they could. Somehow that gets lost on them.

LibraryLady
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
But that wasn't what she was hired to do. She was hired to sing the National Anthem. If she felt ill equipped to do it, there are many other professional singers (including a friend of mine who does USO shows) who would have been very happy to have sung the National Anthem.

I hope they put a stop-payment on that check. She broke the contract.

At 4:00 Wednesday, Hickenlooper made his final statement on what he called a surprise move by someone he trusted, saying, "We had no idea this was going to happen. This is not something the City of Denver would ever sanction or condone."

Hickenlooper said, "We didn't pay her, so I mean, there was no contract. We asked her to come sing the national anthem and we expected her to come sing the national anthem and we were disappointed and frustrated that that did not happen."

I had never heard of the "Black National Anthem".

http://cw2.trb.com/news/kwgn-national-anthem-folo,0,6040974.story

linda22003
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
The original tune for "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is beautiful, but she crammed the lyrics into the tune to the "Star Spangled Banner". :rolleyes:

AmPat
07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Just more of the ol double standard. If this was a similar stunt pulled by a white person, how silent would the media be?:cool:

LogansPapa
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Classic gator.;)

Goldwater
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I have no objection to any of the lyrics, and the music is beautiful. But it's not the song she was contracted to sing.

You beat me to it.