PDA

View Full Version : U.S. prepares for possible swine flu epidemic as global cases rise

SarasotaRepub
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
(CNN) -- The United States stepped up preparations for a possible swine flu epidemic, and Canada confirmed its first cases on Sunday as researchers worked to determine how contagious the virus could be.

Keiji Fukuda, the assistant director-general of the World Health Organization, called the outbreak "serious" on Sunday. Researchers are still trying to determine how easily the virus is transmitted person to person and it's too early to predict whether there will be a mild or serious pandemic, said Fukuda.

By Sunday afternoon, Mexican President Felipe Calderon said 81 deaths were suspected to be from the outbreak and 374 people remained hospitalized. Another 929 people have been examined and sent home, he said.

"These people have shown up at some medical institution in the country with respiratory symptoms that required to be studied and diagnosed," he said.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html)

You are going to be able to get Mexico hotel rooms reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal cheap.

Rockntractor
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
US says not testing travelers from Mexico for flu
26 Apr 2009 17:19:55 GMT
Source: Reuters
WASHINGTON, April 26 (Reuters) - The United States is not testing airplane travelers from Mexico for the swine flu virus that has heightened fears of a possible pandemic, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Sunday.

"Right now we don't think the facts warrant more active testing or screening of passengers coming in from Mexico," she said at a White House briefing.
http://lite.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26491120.htm
82 dead in mexico and we do not have enough sense to screen airline passengers from there.That sounds risky to me.

noonwitch
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
The media is covering this like it is Captain Trips.

I've had some kind of sinus thing for the last few days. I'm allergic to tree pollen, so it could just be allergies, or a combination of that and a cold. I was kind of feverish last Tuesday and Wednesday, but I'm on the rebound-I just hope people with the seasonal allergies, colds and flu don't start panicking about it.

Rockntractor
04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
hillary made a statement about swine flu on tv this mourning. Does she look different or is it just me?http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/hillary-clinton-ps.jpg?t=1240848058

Odysseus
04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
hillary made a statement about swine flu on tv this mourning. Does she look different or is it just me?http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/hillary-clinton-ps.jpg?t=1240848058

She looks about the same to me. :D

Rockntractor
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
World closer to swine flu pandemic
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:19pm EDT

By Alistair Bell

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A new virus has killed up to 149 people in Mexico and the World Health Organization moved closer on Monday to declaring it the first flu pandemic in 40 years as more people were infected in the United States and Europe.

The WHO raised its pandemic alert level for the swine flu virus to phase 4, indicating a significantly increased risk of a pandemic, a global outbreak of a serious disease.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090427

I’m still not getting overly concerned about this. But it is getting more severe

hazlnut
04-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Let's see...

A charismatic national leader comes into power...

Violent conflicts in the middle east...

Israel chomping at the bit to pounce on the Temple Mount...

Massive flooding...

and now... A world-wide pandemic!

Hal Lindsey must be all giddy with anticipation about what comes next... But dammit all to hell, the CDC and hand sanitizer are going to ruin everything.

In all seriousness, I hope friends at home and abroad stay safe.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Since there's no indication that our health care system isn't equal to this particular crisis, unlike Mexico's, and border control is a far more urgent issue, and one that directly impacts on disease vectors, I'm betting that Rahm "Never waste a crisis" Emmanuel will probably use this to forward his agenda. Anyone want to bet on which issue he uses this to address?

noonwitch
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Since there's no indication that our health care system isn't equal to this particular crisis, unlike Mexico's, and border control is a far more urgent issue, and one that directly impacts on disease vectors, I'm betting that Rahm "Never waste a crisis" Emmanuel will probably use this to forward his agenda. Anyone want to bet on which issue he uses this to address?

It does seem to only be fatal to mexicans, so far. Either it's because of their crappy medical system, or because the virus is weakening as it spreads.

The Today Show was interviewing a student from NYC who had it-she said after her second Tamiflu pill, she was feeling much better. It's good to know we've got a product that is effective against it.

linda22003
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm glad my upcoming vacation is along the Alaskan Riviera, not the Mexican Riviera! :)

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
It does seem to only be fatal to mexicans, so far. Either it's because of their crappy medical system, or because the virus is weakening as it spreads.
Or, it could be a diabolical new border control initiative by Karl Rove, a genetically engineered virus that only targets likely illegal immigrants. :D Actually, I shouldn't make that joke. I give it about an hour before someone at DU puts that idea forward with a straight face.

I'm glad my upcoming vacation is along the Alaskan Riviera, not the Mexican Riviera! :)
Watch out for polar bear flu. :D

Rebel Yell
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Bird flu = gonna be a Pandemic, wasn't

Sars = gonna be a Pandemic, wasn't

Equine flu = gonna be a Pandemic, wasn't

Swine flu = Gonna be a Pandemic, ?

According to my calculations, the CDC has a hard on for a pandemic, but never gets one. Kinda like going to a titty bar where the strippers actually just dance.

8 students tested positve and over 100 are showing symptoms, inculding sore throat, stuffy nose, and fever. Hmmm, let's see, what are the symptoms of seasonal allergies? SORE THROAT, STUFFY NOSE, AND FEVER?

Until the Rage virus starts spreading, save the drama for someone who'll buy into it.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Until the Rage virus starts spreading, save the drama for someone who'll buy into it.

Hmmmm... Maybe the CDC should use Janeane Garafolo as a source. According to her, rage virus is spread by tea parties. :D

Rebel Yell
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm... Maybe the CDC should use Janeane Garafolo as a source. According to her, rage virus is spread by tea parties. :D

Must be closely associated with the common sense gene.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
USNORTHCOM just sent out a notice on it. They're stating that it is not a pandemic and they're directing everyone to a couple of websites for information. The best source seems to be http://www.pandemicflu.gov/, which includes a page with checklists for individuals, families and families with small children. It's worth checking out for that alone, but there's not a whole lot going on. So far, there have been 64 US cases (45 in NYC, 10 in CA, 6 in TX, 2 in Kansas and 1 in Ohio) identified with no fatalities. We're not talking Captain Trips here.

Molon Labe
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
USNORTHCOM just sent out a notice on it. They're stating that it is not a pandemic and they're directing everyone to a couple of websites for information. The best source seems to be http://www.pandemicflu.gov/, which includes a page with checklists for individuals, families and families with small children. It's worth checking out for that alone, but there's not a whole lot going on. So far, there have been 64 US cases (45 in NYC, 10 in CA, 6 in TX, 2 in Kansas and 1 in Ohio) identified with no fatalities. We're not talking Captain Trips here.

Me thinks you're right. Complete and utter fearmongering. The propaganda machine is in full swing.

Circa 1976? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YCTnbRgm8

Rebel Yell
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Does anyone here have a pot bellied pig they can take for a walk in a public place?:D

I wish to God I did.

Nubs
04-28-2009, 03:48 PM
For craps sake.... My wife's hospital has had 6 die already this year from the plain old flu bug.

Molon Labe
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Does anyone here have a pot bellied pig they can take for a walk in a public place?:D

I wish to God I did.

Funny! Coulda helped you out last Summer.....
I had one loose in my yard about a year ago someone dumped....Cops had to come and set a trap for the poor thing. :p

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Me thinks you're right. Complete and utter fearmongering. The propaganda machine is in full swing.

Circa 1976? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YCTnbRgm8

Hmmm... Swine flu, economic chaos, the return of the radical left... All we need now are WIN buttons and red, white and blue bell bottoms. :D

Molon Labe
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Hmmm... Swine flu, economic chaos, the return of the radical left... All we need now are WIN buttons and red, white and blue bell bottoms. :D

You have to peruse the net for a while..., but there's a plethora of information that this is just another round of sensationlism....circa the 1976 bullshat. It hasn't even killed ONE person yet in the U.S. and it's front page worthy. Jeesh!!

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
You have to peruse the net for a while..., but there's a plethora of information that this is just another round of sensationlism....circa the 1976 bullshat. It hasn't even killed ONE person yet in the U.S. and it's front page worthy. Jeesh!!

You know why that is, don't you? Our media is nothing if not sensitive to charges of Islamophobia, and if there's one thing that Muslims won't tolerate, it's pork products in any form. They're just being culturally sensitive and making sure that the practitioners of the religion of peace aren't exposed to swine-flu. :D

Hawkgirl
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
She looks about the same to me. :D

So THAT's what she meant about lipstick on a Pig.

Bubba Dawg
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Now THAT is funny. :D

Odysseus
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Hillary wears lipstick?