PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Monday.

Gingersnap
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
It's snowing here. Is there any more to say? I don't think so. It's kind of odd to see the hummingbird feeders covered with snow but we can and do get snow on Mother's Day out here.

TOTD: Have you ever tried alternative medicine or natural cures for anything? Did it work? Do you do anything in the natural cure line that is preventative? Has it prevented something? Have you tried something and had it fail miserably? What?

linda22003
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd trade you, happily - it's going to be 90 here today in the Washington area. :(

About the only natural drug I take is chicken soup ("Jewish penicillin"), when I have a cold. Other than that, I'm a great believer in Better Living Through Chemistry.

Rockntractor
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I Used to use Mau Huang for my asthma until the fed stopped sales because of stupid kids overdosing on 100 degree days and playing football. It was very effective. now I have to use expensive Pharmaceuticals. Benificial bacterias are very effective. I took them in pill form until i got my goats for fresh goats milk. I use tea tree oil and tea tree oil tooth picks as a natural antibacterial. Most herbs are snake oil remedies that benifit only the person selling them to you . their are several effective ones. You have to remain objective and not turn it into a religeon. Juicig fresh vegetables and drinking a pint every morning is also exellent for getting your vitamins and fiber. The grave yard is just as full of herbalists as it is big mac addicts but I would like to think we feel better day to day and will make healthIer corpses when our time comes.

FlaGator
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Sunny and mild here in North Florida. No rain and temps in the low 80s

TOTD. My ex-mother in-law use to do some strange cures for my wife when she was sick. They were Filipino and these were supposedly hold remedies for things like stomach aches and what have you. My ex swore this stuff worked but it looked like superstitious mumbo jumbo to me. The odd thing was my ex didn't normally buy in to old world superstitions and stuff so it it surprised me with she would ask her mother to come over and do a healing. There where both devout Catholics which made the whole thing seem even stranger. Still the placebo effect is powerful and if you believe something will work a lot of times it will.

Molon Labe
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Upper 80's today...

TOTD: I can speak only to fish oil as helping my knees. Been taking it for 3 years and I can now run more often.

I'm of the opinion that food is medicinal and when we take in clean foods it is medicine in itself. I read the book The Blue Zones earlier this year and it was a wake up call to my diet.

RobJohnson
04-28-2009, 01:05 AM
It was in the mid 80's today.

I seen many people in a panic when they could not find the surgical type germ masks like those being worn in Mexico. :D

TOTD: I can think of a few examples, one was getting off allergy mediation back in my early 20's for several years, but the natural stuff was more expensive and not covered by health insurance. :p But then for a while I did not need either.

I'm also a strong believer in chiropratic manipulation of the spine.