PDA

View Full Version : The “Why” Generation Becomes the “What Hit Me” Generation

patriot45
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
My my but things do come back around!

Words of wisdom. (http://townhall.com/columnists/TerryPaulson/2009/04/27/the_%e2%80%9cwhy%e2%80%9d_generation_becomes_the_% e2%80%9cwhat_hit_me%e2%80%9d_generation?page=full&comments=true)

My dad used to say, “Life is a great trainer!” As unimpressed as I was by his lectures as a teen, he seemed to relish letting me learn life’s important lessons the hard way.

When I bought that cool looking stick-shift car over his objection that it’s the wrong car for San Francisco, he refused to ever let me use his automatic. When forced to drive my car to prom night at the Fairmont Hotel, I appreciated firsthand the wisdom in his warning. The Fairmont is on a hill no stick shift should be allowed.

I learned hand signals I’d never used—the kind where you roll down your window and franticly wave the car behind to a safe distance. I knew I was coming back eight feet before I was moving forward! I survived both prom night and my father’s laughter, and I’m thankful that he let me learn choices have consequences.

After graduating from UCLA, my dad made it clear that he didn’t want me to get carried away with all this education. The rest was on me. I survived the poverty of paying my own way through grad school and starting my own company.

Such difficult experiences produce maturity. You learned that you could survive the lean times eventually rebound, and that life provides both booms and busts. In tough economic times, you learned to tighten your belt, adjust your expectations and find ways to create your own opportunities.

I don’t remember parents, teachers and employers adjusting to make our lives easier. They expected us to adjust. After all, life was, is and will forever be difficult!

Most of my generation didn’t have parents who read books about protecting our fragile self-esteem, and they weren’t afraid to discipline when we deserved it. Parents didn’t expect to be approved; they demanded respect.

Instead of driving you to games, you might have peddled yourself on a one-speed bike. The television you had was black and white and had four channels. It didn’t show anything from midnight to 6:00 am. You had to finish your homework before you played, had to eat dinner with the family, and had to go to church every Sunday whether you liked it or not. You earned your spending money, and you didn’t expect more.

Even though you were told to avoid them, your best teachers were your toughest teachers. They weren’t mean; they just cared enough to hold you accountable and have high expectations for what you could do. Those were the teachers who gave you an “F” when you earned it!

Continued (http://townhall.com/columnists/TerryPaulson/2009/04/27/the_%e2%80%9cwhy%e2%80%9d_generation_becomes_the_% e2%80%9cwhat_hit_me%e2%80%9d_generation?page=2)