PDA

View Full Version : Five Congressmen Arrested...

AHeneen
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Five U.S. Lawmakers Arrested at Darfur Protest
Humanitarian leaders and five U.S. lawmakers, including Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison and Maryland Rep. Donna Edwards, are led away in handcuffs from the Sudanese embassy after crossing a police line.

Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/27/lawmakers-arrested-darfur-protest/)

WASHINGTON -- Eight activists protesting the expulsion of aid groups in Darfur have been arrested in front of the Sudanese Embassy in Washington.

Humanitarian leaders and five U.S. lawmakers, including Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison and Maryland Rep. Donna Edwards, were led away in handcuffs Monday from the embassy after crossing a police line.

The activists are urging world leaders to take a stand against Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir's decision to expel 16 aid agencies from Darfur.

Ellison says it is wrong to deprive aid to what he calls "the most vulnerable people on our planet."

The United Nations says up to 300,000 people have died in Darfur, where ethnic African rebel groups have been fighting the Arab-dominated national government for six years.

Linda
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
We will be moving into Darfur just as quickly as Obama can get it set up.....why else did you think he wanted the troops out of Iraq, he has to have them available for Darfur.

Apocalypse
04-28-2009, 01:28 AM
We will be moving into Darfur just as quickly as Obama can get it set up.....why else did you think he wanted the troops out of Iraq, he has to have them available for Darfur.
But that would prove that he is a warmongerer and upset all his Code Pinkos supporters.

noonwitch
04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
The situation in Darfur is horrible-it's Islamic terrorism without the oil reserves. My understanding is that the muslim janjaweed are arabs that the president of Sudan uses as his army, and they are killing the black christians and muslims who are native to the Darfur region.

I don't know how much the US can do about it without backing from other nations, but there aren't a whole lot of stable countries surrounding it to assist, or to launch any kind of military intervention from.

FlaGator
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
The situation in Darfur is horrible-it's Islamic terrorism without the oil reserves. My understanding is that the Muslim janjaweed are arabs that the president of Sudan uses as his army, and they are killing the black christians and muslims who are native to the Darfur region.

I don't know how much the US can do about it without backing from other nations, but there aren't a whole lot of stable countries surrounding it to assist, or to launch any kind of military intervention from.

It is horrible over there. My church sponsors missionaries in the Sudan and it is not good for them. Although they have not been attacked or harmed they are threatened quit often. My church also has a hand full of Sudanese Christians who live here as refugee and the don't paint a pretty picture of their homeland. They fear that the Muslims will kill all the Christians who refuse to convert to Islam. Please keep this country in your prayers. They can really use the power of the Lord right now.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
The situation in Darfur is horrible-it's Islamic terrorism without the oil reserves. My understanding is that the muslim janjaweed are arabs that the president of Sudan uses as his army, and they are killing the black christians and muslims who are native to the Darfur region.

Sudan' previous incursions against black Christians and Animists were Islamic terrorism. This is more tribally and racially motivated, since the majority of the victims are Moslems as well, but regardless, the moment that we engage, we will be drawing the same level of jihadi fanaticism as we saw in Iraq among the Al Qaeda elements there. And since Sudan has been a major Al Qaeda supporter, as well as a source of funding and arms (China trades weapons for oil and a lot of the arms go to Somalia), we'll still be fighting the Global War on Terror, er... Make that Ongoing Contingency Operation.

We had a Sudanese officer in my Armor Officer Basic Course. He was a good guy, actually did all of the field work and passed the exams, and he really liked Kentucky bourbon. I've often wondered how he fared under the Islamic government. I'd hate to think of him as part of this, but I'd also hate to think of him being purged and killed for not going along with it.

We have a base in Egypt, a newly stood up command in Djibouti and we can always use NATO facilities in Italy if we have to (And unlike the French, Italy usually lets us take care of business, but the EU may complicate that). Logistics aren't much of a problem this time around, the problems are going to be the same ones that we ran into in Iraq and Afghanistan, namely a fourth estate that's really a fifth column, a Democratic Party that can no longer win wars and sees the US military as an extremist fringe, to be attacked, demoralized and purged and a radical population of peace activists whose limited intellects and attention spans will lend the necessary comic relief to our efforts.

So, here are my predictions:

Five minutes after the US military person has boots on the ground, we will see a "US out of Darfur rally" run by the same people who demanded that we intervene.
Five minutes after that, the NY Times will refer to it as a "quagmire."
Five minutes after that, John Kerry, John Murtha or Dick Durbin will accuse US troops of war crimes in Darfur.
The people who were the most vocal in demanding action on Darfur have been the most arrogant, batty and vicious of the anti-Iraq war protestors, and they will turn out to be the most vocal peace protestors against our presence in Darfur.
European governments will promise support, then provide next to nothing, while some EU countries will actively work against us.
Islamic governments will scream about our invasion of a Muslim state, while saying nothing about how we are rescuing Muslim victims of the Sudanese.
Russia and China will fall over themselves trying to undermine our efforts. China will step up arms shipments and will work with Iran to provide IED tech to Sudan. Russia will use its energy clout to try to stop EU countries from providing support and allowing the use of facilities there.
The Saudis will immediately begin setting up madrassas and mosques in order to ensure that the people of Darfur are educated in Wahabbi Islam and learn to hate us for having rescued them. Newly radicalized Darfurians (Darfurites? Darfurious?) will be the lead on suicide bombing.