PDA

View Full Version : FOX Rejects White House Request to Air Obama Speech

AHeneen
04-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Fox won't air Obama's prime-time press conference

CNN (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/27/fox-wont-air-obamas-prime-time-press-conference/)
Posted: 09:19 PM ET

(CNN) Fox Broadcasting Company announced Monday it will not carry President Barack Obama's prime time press conference marking his first 100 days in office, the first time a broadcast network has refused an Obama administration request for that valuable airtime.

The network will instead carry its regularly scheduled episode "Lie to Me," according to its Web site. The show is among the network's most popular and draws an average of 13 million viewers a week. That compares to the relatively paltry 4.2 million who watched the president's last prime-time press conference on Fox. In all, close to 40 million watched that event on one of the eight networks that carried it.

Obama's press conference also comes at the start of the May "sweeps" period, when viewership is watched closely to set the rate networks can charge for advertising.

In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, the network said it will alert viewers just ahead of the 8 pm ET event that the press conference will be broadcast on sister stations Fox News and Fox Business Channel.

CBS, NBC, and ABC have said they will pre-empt their regularly scheduled programs to air the president's news conference.

The Wednesday night event will be Obama's third prime-time press conference as president. His prime-time address to Congress in February was also carried by all four major broadcast networks.

The White House is not commenting on Fox's decision.

Hawkgirl
04-28-2009, 01:57 AM
:D

This is why Fox beats all the other networks.

Zathras
04-28-2009, 03:24 AM
I guess FOX would rather play a fictional show named "Lie to Me" than a live action show called "Lie to America".

Constitutionally Speaking
04-28-2009, 06:32 AM
I guess FOX would rather play a fictional show named "Lie to Me" than a live action show called "Lie to America".

The consequences are less damaging to the country.

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Oh boy I bet the DUmmies and other dimwits are all up and arms about this :D

I wonder what the chosen one will do to get back at fox?

linda22003
04-28-2009, 08:35 AM
:D

This is why Fox beats all the other networks.

"Executives at Fox, owned by News Corp., would not comment on the decision Monday. It's not without precedent for the network: Fox didn't carry a prime-time speech by President George W. Bush in November 2001 despite a request from the White House."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/27/AR2009042703478.html

linda22003
04-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I wonder what the chosen one will do to get back at fox?

"An executive at one of the three other broadcasters -- who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were private -- said that network's executives had expressed concern to the White House about the frequency of prime-time news conferences and the financial sacrifice being made to carry the event.

The executive said it was hoped the administration would be more flexible in working with networks to find the best times to schedule the events. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/27/AR2009042703478.html

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
"An executive at one of the three other broadcasters -- who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were private -- said that network's executives had expressed concern to the White House about the frequency of prime-time news conferences and the financial sacrifice being made to carry the event.

The executive said it was hoped the administration would be more flexible in working with networks to find the best times to schedule the events. "

Didn't answer my question but thanks for trying. :)

linda22003
04-28-2009, 08:51 AM
In terms of "getting back" at a network, it looks like the networks are trying to point out that this cuts into their highest revenue time. Fox isn't alone in needing ad money.

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
In terms of "getting back" at a network, it looks like the networks are trying to point out that this cuts into their highest revenue time. Fox isn't alone in needing ad money.

I understand that and an fair administration would not try to pay fox back but the magic nergo's is anything but fair. Being the chosen one, he will not be pleased his voice is not reaching everyones ears. :D

linda22003
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
The "magic nergo" as you call him (I don't even know what a "nergo" is), should get used to it. When I was a kid, all the networks stopped to carry presidential news conferences - all THREE of them. Now, you can go to any number of news channels to get the coverage, if you want.

djones520
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I understand that and an fair administration would not try to pay fox back but the magic nergo's is anything but fair. Being the chosen one, he will not be pleased his voice is not reaching everyones ears. :D

He'd be entering dangerous ground by doing this. There is already a precedent for the network to refuse it, with no actions taken. If he where to take any actions, then it would be even more fodder for the Right to attack him with. After the NYC thing yesterday, I doubt he needs another "mistake" highlighted anytime soon.

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
The "magic nergo" as you call him (I don't even know what a "nergo" is), should get used to it. When I was a kid, all the networks stopped to carry presidential news conferences - all THREE of them. Now, you can go to any number of news channels to get the coverage, if you want.

Its a typo go look up the term in the dictionary. :)

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 09:00 AM
He'd be entering dangerous ground by doing this. There is already a precedent for the network to refuse it, with no actions taken. If he where to take any actions, then it would be even more fodder for the Right to attack him with. After the NYC thing yesterday, I doubt he needs another "mistake" highlighted anytime soon.

I see your point but I can picture the administration banking it away.

Space Gravy
04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often. It seems like a bit of overkill with all the cable and over the air channels that do show it. Does it really need to be on 10 or so channels at the same time?

linda22003
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I see your point but I can picture the administration banking it away.

Eh, they all do. Think the NYTimes was the Bush administration's favorite news venue? They all have media they prefer to talk to over others. Tempest. Teapot.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Eh, they all do. Think the NYTimes was the Bush administration's favorite news venue? They all have media they prefer to talk to over others. Tempest. Teapot.
I don't recall the Bush administration denying NY Times reporters access, or tossing them off of Air Force One (although I'd have love to have seen them do it, especially at 20,000 feet :D). This administration is much more likely to indulge its vengeful side.

linda22003
04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't recall the Bush administration denying NY Times reporters access, or tossing them off of Air Force One (although I'd have love to have seen them do it, especially at 20,000 feet :D). This administration is much more likely to indulge its vengeful side.

No, they just called a reporter an "asshole" on an open mike. :) If this administration is "vengeful", there's a conservative press to call them on it. Really, let's focus the paranoia on the important stuff.

Odysseus
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
No, they just called a reporter an "asshole" on an open mike. :) If this administration is "vengeful", there's a conservative press to call them on it. Really, let's focus the paranoia on the important stuff.

I submit that the reporter in question was properly characterized, but notice that he was not excluded from the press conference, despite the president's perceptive observation. As for the conservative press, while FOXNews has roughly the same ratings as CNN, HN and MSNBC combined, when you throw in the major networks and the vast majority of newspapers and news weeklies, the majority of Americans will never hear about most of the things that you and I are dialed into.

Lars1701a
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Well Bush could give a rat fucks for NYT, it was and is a failing newspaper. Fox on the other hand is the biggest thing since sliced bread. I hope he does something like trying to lock them out.

noonwitch
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM

That's what I was thinking-isn't one of the reasons FOX started a news channel was so that they wouldn't have to interrupt their broadcast programs for every speech a president gives, regardless of that president's alleged magical qualities?