PDA

View Full Version : First US Swine Flu Death Confirmed

AHeneen
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Official: First U.S. Swine Flu Death Confirmed in Texas
Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518320,00.html)

WASHINGTON The first U.S. death from swine flu has been confirmed a 23-month-old child in Texas amid increasing global anxiety over a health menace that authorities around the world are struggling to contain.

The flu death was confirmed Wednesday by Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In a cable news interview, he gave no other details about the child.

Related: 10 Ways to Protect Yourself From Swine Flu

"As a pediatrician and a parent, my heart goes out to the family," he said about the tragic death.

But Besser said in a nationally broadcast network interview that it's too soon to say if the death in Texas suggests the virus is spreading to more states. Nor would he say whether officials think it will become a nationwide problem.

Besser said on NBC's "Today" show that he didn't believe "this indicates any change in the strain of the flu."

Besser also said that "we see with any flu virus a spectrum of disease symptoms" and said authorities need to learn more about the threat.

Continued... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518320,00.html)

Odysseus
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Official: First U.S. Swine Flu Death Confirmed in Texas
Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518320,00.html)

WASHINGTON The first U.S. death from swine flu has been confirmed a 23-month-old child in Texas amid increasing global anxiety over a health menace that authorities around the world are struggling to contain.

The flu death was confirmed Wednesday by Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In a cable news interview, he gave no other details about the child.

Related: 10 Ways to Protect Yourself From Swine Flu

"As a pediatrician and a parent, my heart goes out to the family," he said about the tragic death.

But Besser said in a nationally broadcast network interview that it's too soon to say if the death in Texas suggests the virus is spreading to more states. Nor would he say whether officials think it will become a nationwide problem.

Besser said on NBC's "Today" show that he didn't believe "this indicates any change in the strain of the flu."

Besser also said that "we see with any flu virus a spectrum of disease symptoms" and said authorities need to learn more about the threat.

Continued... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518320,00.html)

The child was from Mexico and was visiting family in the US. I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy, but there has yet to be a death under the auspices of the US health care system.

Molon Labe
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
The child was from Mexico and was visiting family in the US. I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy, but there has yet to be a death under the auspices of the US health care system.

It's very relevant that this wasn't a U.S. citizen.

Odysseus
04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
It's very relevant that this wasn't a U.S. citizen.

More importantly, that it was a non-citizen who wasn't being treated here. If this case of flu incubated in Mexico, they may not have sought treatment here until it was too late, and the treatment available in Mexico has a higher mortality rate.

noonwitch
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
More importantly, that it was a non-citizen who wasn't being treated here. If this case of flu incubated in Mexico, they may not have sought treatment here until it was too late, and the treatment available in Mexico has a higher mortality rate.

There are so many things about Mexico that could be contributing to the higher mortality rate- bad sanitation practices and the poor-quality drinking water are the two that I can think of, without even mentioning a substandard medical care system.

Odysseus
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
There are so many things about Mexico that could be contributing to the higher mortality rate- bad sanitation practices and the poor-quality drinking water are the two that I can think of, without even mentioning a substandard medical care system.

Exactly, but the radio reports mention the age of the deceased without going into the details of where he was from or what other factors might have been involved. Media scaremongering at its worst.

jinxmchue
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
If he was here illegally, then he'd be considered a citizen by the liberals... I'm just sayin'.