LAW OF THE LAND
Woman gets 30 days in jail for texting in court
Hauled behind bars immediately after being cited by judge
Posted: April 28, 2009
9:54 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
2009 WorldNetDaily

Judge Stephen Henriod

A Utah mother of four small children has been jailed on a judge's order to serve 30 days behind bars for allegedly sending a text message while she was watching a court proceeding.

The report comes from her father-in-law, Dennis Jackson, who told WND of the series of events that left his daughter-in-law, Susan Henwood, imprisoned.

A spokeswoman in the clerk's office for Judge Stephen L. Henriod of Utah's Third District Court confirmed the woman was jailed for the 30 days on the judge's order over the issue of texting.

However, she declined to answer other questions from WND, instead transferring WND to a voice mail for the judge's clerk. A woman identifying herself as Henriod's clerk later called but said the judge would not speak to any reporters.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=96487

FeebMaster
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I feel safer.

Gingersnap
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
She was in court to explain her deadbeat husband's lack of attendance during a court proceeding involving pretty substantial collections against him.

She was texting him about the assets they were going to seize. I can see the judge's point here to some degree. I doubt the guy was sick and it would be helpful to know precisely what large, car-like objects were going to be removed from the home. :D

ralph wiggum
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
The punishment may be a bit harsh, but I agree with the sentiment.

Some people just can't or won't put down their damn phone for a place that requires some decorum. I check my phone quite often before & after meetings, but leave the thing alone and all sounds off during something important.

Rockntractor
04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
He should have told her she had thity days to serve and then the next day after a night in jail he should have let her out for time served. She would have learned more respect and the rest of the court would have seen he doesn't mess around. To many people let their positions go to their heads today. Very few of our leaders today show any signs of humility.

JenKay
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
what a criminal! :rolleyes: