PDA

View Full Version : Number of abortions rising in Middle East,

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
experts say.

Changing social values and economic realities, along with demographic shifts, are among the reasons, observers in the Arab world say.

By Borzou Daragahi, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 29, 2008
BEIRUT -- Unmarried and pregnant, Ranya gathered up her courage and confided to a friend that she was considering a drastic step: an illegal abortion.

She braced for criticism. But to her surprise, her friend disclosed that she had had one too.

Ranya asked another friend, who also said she'd had an abortion. And another gave her the phone number of a doctor in Beirut who would perform the procedure on the sly. The doctor used no anesthetic. The pain lingered for days, but the guilt engulfed her weeks later.

"It doesn't make me feel guilty because of Islam," said Ranya, 29, a short, brown-haired artist, struggling with her words. "It's a very complicated guilt to explain. I tend to philosophize things. I feel guilty in a weird way. It crosses my mind all the time."

Despite legal and religious restrictions against abortion in much of the Arab world, changing social values and economic realities as well as demographic shifts have contributed to an apparent increase in the number of the procedures in the Middle East.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-abortion29-2008jun29,0,2600933.story

linda22003
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds pretty risky, but being unmarried and pregnant there can get you killed.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Another problem Muslims have is that adoption as we know it is not allowed. Even if these women wanted to give up their children and could do so without fear, there is simply no real adoption in the Muslim world. Orphans sometimes acquire guardians and live with families but they are never considered the same as biological children. :(

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Thatís okay - as weíve shown, Western culture has a solution to most every problem.

Zafod
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Thatís okay - as weíve shown, Western culture has a solution to most every problem.

Abortion is not a solution, its murder.

Vepr
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Abortion is not a solution, its murder.

Well murder is a solution technically. But if you support abortion in cases where the mothers life is in danger then what these Arab women did was life saving because like Linda mentioned they run the very real risk of getting killed by their own families.

LogansPapa
07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Murderís always been the Westís solution - like a laser guided 500 pounder on an intersection of gathered terrorists from an F-16 drop three miles away, and Iím all for it. Getíer Done.

CLibertarian
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Sounds pretty risky, but being unmarried and pregnant there can get you killed.

Both the mother and the baby will be killed.

In Iran, the woman has to declare who the father is. The authorities try to force a marriage to occur. If that doesn't happen, the woman and the child are dead. The man may or may not be prosecuted but usually isn't killed. At least, that's how I think my wife told me it went down.

The family may take it upon themselves to remedy the situation. I've heard of the brothers beating the woman until she miscarries.

CLibertarian
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Another problem Muslims have is that adoption as we know it is not allowed. Even if these women wanted to give up their children and could do so without fear, there is simply no real adoption in the Muslim world. Orphans sometimes acquire guardians and live with families but they are never considered the same as biological children. :(

The closest equivalent is placement of orphans with relatives. The do tend to go to great lengths to find family that will take custody of the orphan. When it occurs within the family like this, the child is more likely to be treated the same as the biological children.

biccat
07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Where are the liberals? Shouldn't they be throughout Tehran demanding that Iran grant this basic right to women?

Where are the signs crying "Achmahitler" because of his position on not giving money to abortion clinics?

CLibertarian
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Where are the liberals? Shouldn't they be throughout Tehran demanding that Iran grant this basic right to women?

Where are the signs crying "Achmahitler" because of his position on not giving money to abortion clinics?

He's anti-American. Therefore, they forgive all else about him.;)