PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Jackson: NAACP Must Save Auto Industry

tacitus
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
DETROIT The Rev. Jesse Jackson says helping Detroit's ailing auto industry is part of the NAACP's new role.

link (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/us_naacp_dinner/2009/05/03/210208.html)

Naturally Jesse doesn't have the foggiest idea of how this will be accomplished. :rolleyes:

Ranger Rick
05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
No he doesn't, but there is sure to be a lot o' money to shake free.

tacitus
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
If there is $$$ to be made, Jackson and his ilk will be right there with their hands out. Look at Gore and what he has done with the global warming scam.

lacarnut
05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
He needs to tell his rich black brothers to quit buying those damn expensive foreign cars. However, most of them would laugh at this fool cause most of his followers are not in that same high rent district.

noonwitch
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
He needs to tell his rich black brothers to quit buying those damn expensive foreign cars. However, most of them would laugh at this fool cause most of his followers are not in that same high rent district.

I might not have put it the same way, but I did think, "what, is he going to start some kind of Buy American campaign targeting blacks?".

It's not so much rich black people buying expensive foreign cars that is hurting the american car industry, it's more middle class people of all races buying cheap foreign cars that get good milage, like Toyota Celicas and Kias.

VWkid06
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I might not have put it the same way, but I did think, "what, is he going to start some kind of Buy American campaign targeting blacks?".

It's not so much rich black people buying expensive foreign cars that is hurting the American car industry, it's more middle class people of all races buying cheap foreign cars that get good mileage, like Toyota Celicas and Kias.
...because American cars have such a history of being total junk as recent as early 2000's. i owned a buick and it was garbage. so were both cavaliers owned by friends of mine. my dad's 03 trailblazer is nothing but problems. i refuse to own a domestic.

Lars1701a
05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
...because American cars have such a history of being total junk as recent as early 2000's. i owned a buick and it was garbage. so were both cavaliers owned by friends of mine. my dad's 03 trailblazer is nothing but problems. i refuse to own a domestic.

Sad to have to agree with you. I wonder if money going to full pay pensions and health bennies could have been deverted to making a better car?

Lager
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
You don't have to feel too bad about owning a "foreign" car. Toyotas for example are made by Americans workers, in America, and Americans can even own their stock.

Odysseus
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I might not have put it the same way, but I did think, "what, is he going to start some kind of Buy American campaign targeting blacks?"
Not likely, but the comedic potential for the campaign would be huge. How about slogans like "Pimping my Ride for America?"

link (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/us_naacp_dinner/2009/05/03/210208.html)

Naturally Jesse doesn't have the foggiest idea of how this will be accomplished. :rolleyes:
Of course not. Jesse hasn't cared about blacks with jobs since the early days of Operation Push. Jackson is flailing around in a bid to remain relevent. The one unadulterated positive impact of Obama's election is that it's no longer possible to simply cry racism every time you don't get what you want. A country that would elect a black president can't be as racist as the hucksters claim. Of course, those who oppose the great and powerful O will still be accused of racism, but it's a lot harder to say that a black man can't get ahead in America.

Sad to have to agree with you. I wonder if money going to full pay pensions and health bennies could have been deverted to making a better car?
They certainly would have cut overhead and made the companies more flexible when they had to retool and redesign to meet market demands, but the biggest problem is that the union bennies are a double edged sword. They protect marginal and inferior employees, making quality control difficult, and they are a huge operating expense that drives up the cost of each car in order to cover the least productive sectors of the company, namely the retirement fund and the job bank. Come to think of it, that's a microcosm of what's wrong with the country as a whole. Massive social spending takes money out of the productive private sector and puts it into non-productive areas, such as retirement and welfare.

You don't have to feel too bad about owning a "foreign" car. Toyotas for example are made by Americans workers, in America, and Americans can even own their stock.
Mrs. O is a convert to Honda after several years of driving American (and British) cars. I'm not even allowed to think about buying an American car, which is a shame, because I've had some great GM cars over the years, but I've seen the quality decline over the years and I wouldn't put my family at risk in an inferior product.

noonwitch
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM

GM and Chrysler do build crap, but Ford has been building some pretty good cars over the years. I'm very happy with my 2005 Focus, and will buy a 2010 one next year, when this one is paid for. It gets good mileage.

Ford is building two hybrid models, currently, the Escape SUV and the Fusion coupe. They are both out of my price range, but both models are under $30, 000, according to the stuff Ford just sent me. They are trying very hard to sell me a car now, but my salesman knows to start bugging me in a year. My dealership donates $200 to my church when I buy or lease a new car, which is an added incentive for me to buy a Ford.