PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test

ralph wiggum
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-05/46770612.gif

Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended 50 games starting today, The Times has learned.

The test result and suspension is expected to be announced later today.The suspension, which is expected to begin with tonight's game, makes him the biggest star penalized under baseball's testing program that started in 2003.

LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story)

patriot45
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
ah, shit!

stsinner
05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
LOL... Rules? What rules?

Rebel Yell
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
just Manny being Manny

Molon Labe
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Man!! Is there any superstar in the last 15 years that's legitimate?

I hate to say it, but I'm suspicious of everyone now that this is out of the bag....even makes me wonder if Cal Ripken's streak wasn't helped along. Good Grief..

stsinner
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Why not let them dope up? Who gives a damn!! It makes for more spectacular blasts over the fence! Their career is over by 40, anyway, and they're all but forgotten, so who cares if they die at 50 from the ill effects of the drugs.. What's to live for..

It's not like any of them are role models anymore, anyway.. I don't want my kdis looking up to any one of them.. Sports figures of today are always getting into domestic abuse cases or DUI's or dog fighting rings, or whatever, so let them dope up.. Makes for a more well-rounded package.

noonwitch
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Man!! Is there any superstar in the last 15 years that's legitimate?

I hate to say it, but I'm suspicious of everyone now that this is out of the bag....even makes me wonder if Cal Ripken's streak wasn't helped along. Good Grief..

I don't hear things like this about the NHL.

Molon Labe
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Yep..You're right. Probably because no one cares. It's hypocritical.

Everytime I hear about another guy doping, I'm reminded of this guy....
Here's your home run champ folks.

http://rhapsodyinbooks.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hank-aaron-4.jpg

lacarnut
05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Why not let them dope up? Who gives a damn!! It makes for more spectacular blasts over the fence! Their career is over by 40, anyway, and they're all but forgotten, so who cares if they die at 50 from the ill effects of the drugs.. What's to live for..

It's not like any of them are role models anymore, anyway.. I don't want my kdis looking up to any one of them.. Sports figures of today are always getting into domestic abuse cases or DUI's or dog fighting rings, or whatever, so let them dope up.. Makes for a more well-rounded package.

I have to disagree because kids do look up to a star athelete. You might teach your kids not to but how about those poor kids or ones without a father that have dreams of getting out of their terrible environment. It sends a message to them that cheating and doing drugs is ok because it all about making money and gaining fame. There is enough drug use without encouraging more.

patriot45
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I only care about me!!!! He was my best player, oh the doom! :mad:;)

Rebel Yell
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I only care about me!!!! He was my best player, oh the doom! :mad:;)

Sucks for fantasy owners everywhere. I guess that's something fantasy owners have to be aware of now. Of course, you'd think Manny could afford the good stuff that don't show up.:rolleyes:

patriot45
05-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Manny, I hated you when you were with the smelly socks, I loved you on my fantasy team, now I hate you again!!! :D

Ramirez, in a statement released by the Major League Baseball Players Association, attributed a positive drug test to a doctor-prescribed medication and waived his right to challenge the discipline.

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.

marinejcksn
05-07-2009, 02:12 PM

A-Freakin-Men.

And as far as I'm concerned, here's your single season Home Run king:

http://bobsbaseballmuseum.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Roger_Maris_8x1086212102_std1.332180636.jpg

Molon Labe
05-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Manny, I hated you when you were with the smelly socks, I loved you on my fantasy team, now I hate you again!!! :D

My coworker just had a coronary, cause Manny's his DH in fantasy. :D

stsinner
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I have to disagree because kids do look up to a star athelete. You might teach your kids not to but how about those poor kids or ones without a father that have dreams of getting out of their terrible environment. It sends a message to them that cheating and doing drugs is ok because it all about making money and gaining fame. There is enough drug use without encouraging more.

Good point.

And I just heard on the radio that Manny is blaming the positive test on a drug called HCG that was given to him by his doctor.

Phillygirl
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
A-Freakin-Men.

http://bobsbaseballmuseum.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Roger_Maris_8x1086212102_std1.332180636.jpg

Wow. It's amazing to see how small they look compared to the athletes of today.

Rebel Yell
05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Good point.

And I just heard on the radio that Manny is blaming the positive test on a drug called HCG that was given to him by his doctor.

Yeah right, Manny knew nothing.:rolleyes:

HCG is a women's fertility drug. When taken by men, it causes the body increase production of testosterone. While on a cycle of steroids, the body stops producing testosterone once it recognizes you're getting it from an outside source. When coming off a cycle of steroids, people take HCG to jump start their body back into testosterone production. There is no legitimate reason for a doctor to prescribe this to a man.

Just Manny being Manny.

For the fantasy owners, he'll be back July 3rd. 50 games is not as long as it seems, if you can tread water between now and then.

Teetop
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Let me shed a tear for poor, Manny. :D

I will not watch, or follow baseball, unto the current commisioner is dead and after I go P!$$ on his grave.

He has ruined the game of baseball!:mad:

JB
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
That's a shame.

JB
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow. It's amazing to see how small they look compared to the athletes of today.Give him a break, those pants are baggy.

Bubba Dawg
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM

That's true Noonie, and I'll tell you why.

If there were a steroids cheating scandal in the NHL, why, my gosh, there would be....hundreds of dollars at risk.......:D

Okay. That was mean.....:o:)

Bubba Dawg
05-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Yep..You're right. Probably because no one cares. It's hypocritical.

Everytime I hear about another guy doping, I'm reminded of this guy....

Bingo. Good one. I agree 100%.

expat-pattaya
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
A-Freakin-Men.

Yup. And they did it on greenies. So should we remove them from the HOF?

In recent years, players have estimated that between 50 and 80 percent of ballplayers have used amphetamines. A USA Today survey last year found that 35 percent of players thought at least half were using them. The ban will heighten the physical and mental strain of the season, the aforementioned veteran said.

"The manager comes to you and what are you going to say?... 'Oh, no, sorry. I can't go today.' I used it on days when I felt shut down, to keep my name in the lineup," he said. "You're going to see a lot of guys asking the manager for a day off."

Greenies, a nickname coined by ballplayers because of the color of the pills, were introduced to the game in the 1940s. These amphetamines speed up the heart rate and have been proven to fight fatigue, increase alertness and sharpen reaction time. Athletes have used them to challenge the limits of endurance and mask the accompanying pain.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/04/02/PBP_AMPHET_0402.html

expat-pattaya
05-07-2009, 11:50 PM
That's true Noonie, and I'll tell you why.

If there were a steroids cheating scandal in the NHL, why, my gosh, there would be....hundreds of dollars at risk.......:D

Okay. That was mean.....:o:)

Yeah, That was mean. we are talking at least thousands of dollars :D