PDA

View Full Version : Texas To Mull 2 Year Wait For Divorce.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Lawmaker wants to make couples wait 2 years for divorce

Chisum has already successfully passed another marriage-related bill through Legislature.
By Corrie MacLaggan

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Texans would have to wait two years to get a divorce — unless they take a class designed to save their marriage — under a proposal a key state lawmaker says he plans to revive.

State Rep. Warren Chisum, R-Pampa, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, sought to get a similar measure passed in 2007. He said he's planning to bring it back as one of his priorities for the legislative session that begins in January.

"The deal is, we need to take marriage more seriously," said Chisum, who in October will celebrate his 51st wedding anniversary.

It now takes at least 60 days to finalize a divorce in Texas. Across the country, waiting periods range from 30 days in Alabama to up to two years in Maryland, if one spouse contests the divorce, according to Mike McManus, president of Marriage Savers, a group that works with communities to start marriage education programs.

The Texas proposal died last year in a House committee, but the Legislature passed another marriage-related proposal by Chisum.

House Bill 2685, which goes into effect Sept. 1, doubles the $30 marriage license fee to $60 — but couples can bypass the fee by taking an eight-hour premarital class.

I'm all for marriage being harder to get into and harder to get out of. It's a serious thing. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who essentially blindside their spouses out of boredom.

Marriage Parole (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/07/02/0702divorce.html)

ralph wiggum
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm all for marriage being harder to get into and harder to get out of. It's a serious thing. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who essentially blindside their spouses out of boredom.

Marriage Parole (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/07/02/0702divorce.html)

I have very mixed feelings about this. The former Mrs. Wiggum & I went through counseling for over two years before we called it quits. Shouldn't that count as "working hard" to get out of?

Shannon
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Unless they take a class.:rolleyes: That's what it's really all about.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this. The former Mrs. Wiggum & I went through counseling for over two years before we called it quits. Shouldn't that count as "working hard" to get out of?

Yes, it should. I would think that if a couple can demonstrate a couple of years of marriage counseling, then the divorce should be granted without an additional wait.

I've just known too many women who "suddenly" "grew in a different direction" from their husbands of 10+ years. At the same time, I think that if you can document that your spouse is sleeping around, you should get a divorce as soon as you want and they should have a judgment against them. It cuts both ways.

megimoo
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Unless they take a class.:rolleyes: That's what it's really all about.
Want a divorce,Show me the money !

bijou
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
That is similar to the system here. You can get a quick divorce if you can prove adultery or unreasonable behaviour on the part of your spouse, or you can get one by consent if you have been separated for 2 years or, if one party does not agree then you have to be separated for five years.

Gingersnap
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
That is similar to the system here. You can get a quick divorce if you can prove adultery or unreasonable behaviour on the part of your spouse, or you can get one by consent if you have been separated for 2 years or, if one party does not agree then you have to be separated for five years.

We went wholesale for "no fault" divorce many years ago. It's common here for a spouse to get served divorce papers without so much as by your leave. One spouse simply needs to cite irreconcilable differences and thing revs up and grind through the court.

Really, I'd like to see a more difficult marriage process. The way we are doing it now is too easy for the times. This is not an era in which a couple of crazy teens get married, live with the folks until they can buy a farm, and then become instant adults. We have a situation in which most agree that people don't become adult until 30 and they aren't reliably adult until 40. We need to build in some obstacles. It won't help the kids but it might help the adults.

linda22003
07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Hmmm, a longer wait for divorce, plus easy access to guns..... I don't know about this. :rolleyes:

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I couldn't take it any longer
Lord I was crazed
And when the feeling came upon me
Like a tidal wave
I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave
That I would love you to the end of time
I swore that I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive
Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive
I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
But God only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do
Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you!!!

God save us from moralist lawmakers! :D

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
We went wholesale for "no fault" divorce many years ago. It's common here for a spouse to get served divorce papers without so much as by your leave. One spouse simply needs to cite irreconcilable differences and thing revs up and grind through the court.

Really, I'd like to see a more difficult marriage process. The way we are doing it now is too easy for the times. This is not an era in which a couple of crazy teens get married, live with the folks until they can buy a farm, and then become instant adults. We have a situation in which most agree that people don't become adult until 30 and they aren't reliably adult until 40. We need to build in some obstacles. It won't help the kids but it might help the adults.

Damn! I'm a bit behind the curve here. :D

Phillygirl
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
It now takes at least 60 days to finalize a divorce in Texas. Across the country, waiting periods range from 30 days in Alabama to up to two years in Maryland, if one spouse contests the divorce

I think this is the issue. If I'm reading the proposal right (and I may not be) the two year wait is only if one spouse contests. I don't have a problem with that.

In Pennsylvania it's 90 days if it's consensual, 2 years if one contests (possibly shorter if it is a fault divorce and you want to spend the ridiculous money to prosecute that....99% do not, for various reasons).

lurkalot
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm seeing the economy improving in Reno very soon!

I think it should be a two year wait BEFORE marriage. As for a class or counseling, that is only effective if BOTH parties are willing to make some changes and work on it...otherwise one of them stomps out and refuses to go back and blames the other person for the whole situation any one..not that I am bitter or anything :D

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm seeing the economy improving in Reno very soon!

I think it should be a two year wait BEFORE marriage. As for a class or counseling, that is only effective if BOTH parties are willing to make some changes and work on it...otherwise one of them stomps out and refuses to go back and blames the other person for the whole situation any one..not that I am bitter or anything :D

I don't know. What about getting rid of the concept of marriage altogether which, in many ways, dates back to a period wherein women were financially dependent upon men.

Shannon
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know. What about getting rid of the concept of marriage altogether which, in many ways, dates back to a period wherein women were financially dependent upon men.

I don't think I'm allowed to comment on the sacred nature of marriage anymore but I would have an opinion if I could!:p

lurkalot
07-03-2008, 05:39 PM

I am not willing to give up on the sacred bonds of marriage until after I find that terminally ill impotent 95 year old millionaire with no children who marries me and leaves his entire estate to me...
Marriage is a sacred institution by darn!

Phillygirl
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I am not willing to give up on the sacred bonds of marriage until after I find that terminally ill impotent 95 year old millionaire with no children who marries me and leaves his entire estate to me...
Marriage is a sacred institution by darn!

Sorry Lurk....I'm already on beeper alert for that guy.

Shannon
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM

Fools. Why do you think I'm still living in Florida?:rolleyes: He's all mine.:p

Gingersnap
07-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Because women have children and children need two parents. Serial lovers aren't committed parents.

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Because women have children and children need two parents. Serial lovers aren't committed parents.

Serial lovers, whether they be men or women, probably should not have children.

Shannon
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM

You tell 'em, Ginger!:D

lurkalot
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM

damn ambulance chaser...
figures you would get first shot :mad:

Gingersnap
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Serial lovers, whether they be men or women, probably should not have children.

But they do and at some point they need to stop fliting around and raise their kids with a more mature adult who can role model the state of being a grown-up.

Phillygirl
07-03-2008, 08:54 PM
damn ambulance chaser...
figures you would get first shot :mad:

I've spent a lot of years studying Anna Nicole. She was one of my heroes (Ann Coulter, of course, being my other one). There's a reason I spend my Sunday afternoons at the nursing homes...and it has nothing to do with the spiked lousy tea. I'm cultivating.

lurkalot
07-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I've spent a lot of years studying Anna Nicole. She was one of my heroes (Ann Coulter, of course, being my other one). There's a reason I spend my Sunday afternoons at the nursing homes...and it has nothing to do with the spiked lousy tea. I'm cultivating.

oh that is not fair! I am ethically bound to not shop where I work...
curse my ethical principles!

Cold Warrior
07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
But they do and at some point they need to stop fliting around and raise their kids with a more mature adult who can role model the state of being a grown-up.

All the more reason not to procreate, as who wants to be an adult role model. The only role models I know are...

A man walks down the street
He says why am I short of attention
Got a short little span of attention
And woe my nights are so long
Where’s my wife and family
What if I die here
Who’ll be my role model
Now that my role model is
Gone gone
He ducked back down the alley
With some roly-poly little bat-faced girl
All along along
There were incidents and accidents
There were hints and allegations

However, on a more serious note, why does anyone think that a state-imposed declaration/classification, i.e., "marriage," will make people "more mature." I would suggest, rather, it will merely increase the burden on taxpayers to enforce that definition.

Gingersnap
07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
However, on a more serious note, why does anyone think that a state-imposed declaration/classification, i.e., "marriage," will make people "more mature." I would suggest, rather, it will merely increase the burden on taxpayers to enforce that definition.

It can't make people "more mature" but if it's more difficult to get into and get out of, it can make people think more seriously about the commitment angle.

The raw facts are that most poverty is caused by women who have children without men. Economically, for most people a two person working unit (working at home or not) is most successful for women who have children. This has to be a sustained relationship and marriage is the most suitable event for this.

Single people, people without kids, and others who don't directly contribute to the next generation can arrange their lives in different ways. We need to actively support and encourage two-parent families for our own collective good. Poverty and aimlessness is no way to raise the next generation.