PDA

View Full Version : Forward-looking Friday

linda22003
05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Warm and sunny in the DC area after a solid week of rain. I have one more week at work, then I'm off on our cruise to Alaska. I realize how long it's been since we started planning and looking forward to it.

TOTD: What are you looking forward to in the next year? Preferably pleasantly, but it could be anything. After this trip is over, I'm looking forward to Paris again, next winter.

Water Closet
05-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Sort of hazy here in Pleasant Valley, although the temps are nice (around 65).

TOTD: Oddly enough I'm not particularly looking forward to the trip to Hawaii late this month. We're going there because my girlfriend really wants to. For me, it's a 15 hour plane transit (each way) to go to a beach the equivalent in the Caribbean in less than half that time. Since I spend at least 8 hours a week in planes, that's not particularly attractive.

However, I am looking forward to the big trip this September. Eighteen days, including 7 in Paris, 6 in Nice, and 5 in Korcula.

Rockntractor
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
warm and overcast we missed the rain last night Thank God! Frigging bird outside the window taling dirty to another bird. The noisy little basterd needs to go away

TOTD:Planning on winning the lottery this year.

linda22003
05-08-2009, 10:31 AM
TOTD:Planning on winning the lottery this year.

Keep us updated on how that works out! :)

Rockntractor
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Keep us updated on how that works out! :)
It's time for the countdown to Alaska isn't it.

linda22003
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
It's time for the countdown to Alaska isn't it.

It has been for awhile. We're almost in single digits now. Here's my notice to the board that there will be no Friday update on 5/22 unless someone else pitches in.

patriot45
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
TOTD: Going back to N.Y. for the first time in 23 years for my nephews wedding in september. I didn't want to go, I was just going to send a cash gift.:D
But my wife has never been above the Mason Dixon line and she wants the whole N.Y.C. tour. Blah!
So instead of Key West again it'll be the Apple!
It'll probably be cold.

linda22003
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
TOTD: Going back to N.Y. for the first time in 23 years for my nephews wedding in september. I didn't want to go, I was just going to send a cash gift.:D
But my wife has never been above the Mason Dixon line and she wants the whole N.Y.C. tour. Blah!
So instead of Key West again it'll be the Apple!
It'll probably be cold.

Don't be such a grump. New York is wonderful. Show her a good time. It won't be cold. Go to a Broadway show, great restaurants, and stay at one of my favorite hotels:
http://www.lowellhotel.com/ (the one bedroom suites are the best, imho)

lacarnut
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Hot & muggy in south Louisiana.

Got back from the beach at Orange Beach, AL 2 weeks ago and am planning a one or two month return visit in November or December. Renting a beach condo during the winter for that length of time has been a dream of mine.

movie buff
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Let's see:
1. In 2 weeks, I'll be done with classes for the summer.
2. Also in 2 weeks, I'll be filling in for one of my church's pastors in leading an adult Sunday School class.
3. The weekend of June 5, I'll hopefully (If I can work out everything with the friends I'll be with) be going to the Supercon comic convention in Miami in which teh guest of honor will be Bruce "Groovy" Campbell! I've been a fan of his since I was 8 years old, I'm DEFINITELY getting his autograph!
4. Late June, I'll be going on a 6- week vacation to Canada with my family.

marinejcksn
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
TOTD: Oddly enough I'm not particularly looking forward to the trip to Hawaii late this month.

It's a gorgeous state. You should definitely check out the Ko Olina Resort up in Kapolei and the Turtle Bay Resort up at the North Shore; the beaches are unbelievable. Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, take in a Luau at Paradise Cove....I'm gonna miss this island when I go back to Pa next month! :(

TOTD: I'm looking forward to starting my first year of college this fall. I'm applying at Penn State. :cool:

Water Closet
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
It's a gorgeous state. You should definitely check out the Ko Olina Resort up in Kapolei and the Turtle Bay Resort up at the North Shore; the beaches are unbelievable. Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, take in a Luau at Paradise Cove....I'm gonna miss this island when I go back to Pa next month! :(

TOTD: I'm looking forward to starting my first year of college this fall. I'm applying at Penn State. :cool:

We're staying on Kauai, but will certainly travel to some of the other islands. Ever been there?

marinejcksn
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
We're staying on Kauai, but will certainly travel to some of the other islands. Ever been there?

Kauai is beautiful! The first time my parents came out here we went on a trip to all the major Islands; Molokai, Maui, the Big Island, etc. On Kauai, the Waimea Canyon on the west side is a pretty sweet destination:

http://www.hawaiilifeofluxury.com/images/waimea_canyon.jpg

Kauai's also got some incredible waterfalls we saw at the Wailua River:

https://www.tombarefoot.com/art/vendor_pages/kauai/wailua_river_kayak/wailua_river_guides1.jpg

Check out the Hanalei Bay Beach too, it's rated the 2nd best beach in America.

AlmostThere
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Warm and humid. We've gotten a lot of rain this week (thank God) and more expected today.

I'm looking forward to getting my own Chief of Staff and staff of personal assistants. :rolleyes:

djones520
05-08-2009, 05:22 PM
TOTD: Lots of things. I'll be going on vacation to visit friends in family in Michigan in July. Then a month long hunting trip in November. I'm also looking for the next year to whisk by. That'll be one year closer to getting a new assignment and out of this place.

Bubba Dawg
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Cool here with showers.

TOTD: You know, when you put it like that, 'next year,' it kinda made me realize that that I may be in a bit of a rut as far as vacations go. We haven't ventured more than a few hours from home due to health considerations of family members for the last several years and this year we have a bit more freedom of choice but really didn't choose to do anything differently.

But, next year could be different. The doing something different would be the thing to look forward to. I won't even speculate where we might go, but I'll be thinking about it.

linda22003
05-08-2009, 06:48 PM
We haven't ventured more than a few hours from home due to health considerations of family members for the last several years

We had this situation for several years - most of a decade, in fact. That's why we're all over the place now; there was a lot of pent up demand. :)

Gingersnap
05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
It was warm and sunny today but a little cold front has blown in so I shut the windows.

TOTD: I look forward to a lot of things but traveling vacations aren't my thing. I'm looking forward to getting this darn project done right now (more of that in separate thread).

Bubba Dawg
05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
It was warm and sunny today but a little cold front has blown in so I shut the windows.

TOTD: I look forward to a lot of things but traveling vacations aren't my thing. I'm looking forward to getting this darn project done right now (more of that in separate thread).

That project doesn't have anything to do with a creature or creatures in your garage does it? Seems like I remember something like that. Can't be sure. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thing is, once something like that happens, it's bound to happen again.

Gingersnap
05-08-2009, 11:20 PM
That project doesn't have anything to do with a creature or creatures in your garage does it? Seems like I remember something like that. Can't be sure. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thing is, once something like that happens, it's bound to happen again.

Are you talking about that hawk? You should talk to Bad Cat about that darn hawk. He was practically there that night. :eek:

Bubba Dawg
05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Are you talking about that hawk? You should talk to Bad Cat about that darn hawk. He was practically there that night. :eek:

Maybe so. I just remember it was disturbing. Sort of like the gigantic roach or palmetto bug or whatever it was in Shannon's garage.

Funny, these creatures insinuating their Presence into the lives of both you and Shannon. Sort of a Stephen King sort of scenario....but not really.

I mean, I doubt Shannon is obsessive about such things and you certainly aren't.....um.....

.....worried about whether you garage door is open.

A hawk? Really? You know, it would never have gone in there if it weren't after something.....

.....but I'm sure the garage door is closed so no problem. :p:D

So, you're planting plants...

Gingersnap
05-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Maybe so. I just remember it was disturbing. Sort of like the gigantic roach or palmetto bug or whatever it was in Shannon's garage.

Funny, these creatures insinuating their Presence into the lives of both you and Shannon. Sort of a Stephen King sort of scenario....but not really.

I mean, I doubt Shannon is obsessive about such things and you certainly aren't.....um.....

.....worried about whether you garage door is open.

A hawk? Really? You know, it would never have gone in there if it weren't after something.....

.....but I'm sure the garage door is closed so no problem. :p:D

So, you're planting plants...

You are EVIL. I actually had to check the garage door because of your post. I'm pretty sure this a hate crime against people with OCD. I'd call my lawyer if it didn't involve picking up the phone. The phone is kind of heavy.

hazlnut
05-08-2009, 11:59 PM
It was 76 today in Redondo Beach, Ca-- It's supposed to cool down a bit tomorrow. To 74...;):)

In late July, I'm taking my daughter to DC and NYC. Thank you Jet Blue. Air and Hotel are booked. I'm reading up on kids things to do. I know it's going to be hot-hot-hot. We'll try to do the outdoor stuff in early morning and evening--and stay inside mid-day. She's bright and would be happy to spend all day in an air conditioned museum. :)

Bubba Dawg
05-09-2009, 12:05 AM
You are EVIL. I actually had to check the garage door because of your post. I'm pretty sure this a hate crime against people with OCD. I'd call my lawyer if it didn't involve picking up the phone. The phone is kind of heavy.

Who....me....????

Noooooooo.......:rolleyes:

I mean...creatures in the wild are crazy....and you checked the garage door once and checking it once is always good enough....right.....?????

Relax. The odds are way in your favor.

Funny....it always comes down to probability.

9 out of 10. Even 99 out of 100.

Good enough, I say.

You're good to go......