PDA

View Full Version : Former Red Sox Great Dom DiMaggio Dies at 92

linda22003
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=126&sid=1671734

I'm not a sports fan, but his daughter was a friend of mine in school, so I will send a condolence later today. Even if I weren't acquainted with the family, this name is so big in sports that I recognize it!

ralph wiggum
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
RIP, Dom.

There's an interesting case that can be made for him for the Hall of Fame. I don't necessarily agree, but the arguments may heat up again now that he has passed.

linda22003
05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I think he's one of the players whose career was interrupted by the war, and that lost them valuable time for Hall of Fame consideration, right?

ralph wiggum
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I think he's one of the players whose career was interrupted by the war, and that lost them valuable time for Hall of Fame consideration, right?

Yes, he was one of many who missed years in their prime due to WWII. Dom missed three peak years at the ages of 26-28. He is often regarded as being a far better fielder than either of his brothers.

noonwitch
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, he was one of many who missed years in their prime due to WWII. Dom missed three peak years at the ages of 26-28. He is often regarded as being a far better fielder than either of his brothers.

He wasn't the only guy in that situation. Maybe the Hall of Fame could come up with a way to honor all those who left their baseball career to serve their nation in WWII? Like a special, permanent exhibit?

BTW, one of the girls I played softball with as a kid had a mother who played in the women's league of that era. Her mom was one of the people at the catholic church behind my house who pushed for a city recreational girl's softball league in our suburb, because the Little League organization was not offering one. The church started it, originally, and the city took it over in the long run.

ralph wiggum
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
He wasn't the only guy in that situation. Maybe the Hall of Fame could come up with a way to honor all those who left their baseball career to serve their nation in WWII? Like a special, permanent exhibit?

There is one:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/baseball_enlists/index.htm