PDA

View Full Version : White House Military Office Chief Resigns Over Plane Flyover Flap

bijou
05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/img/050809_flyover.jpg

Louis Caldera, the man who approved the low-flying Air Force One plane that panicked New York City, delivered his resignation Friday as the White House released a photo of the plane flying over Ellis Island.

President Obama has accepted the resignation, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in a statement.

Caldera apologized the day after the April 27 incident that sent New Yorkers out into the streets as the 747 followed by two F-16s flew low over the Manhattan skyline.

In his resignation letter, the former Army secretary said that he has concluded that the controversy surrounding the photo shoot "has made it impossible for me to effectively lead the White House Military Office."

"Moreover, it has become a distraction to the important work you are doing as president. After much reflection, I believe it is incumbent on me to tender my resignation and step down as director of the White House Military Office," he wrote.

Caldera's resignation is effective May 22, though he will spend the next two weeks not directing the office, but completing the "necessary out-processing."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/08/white-house-release-new-york-flyover-photo-friday/

djones520
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Can't believe it took this long. And what amazes me is I never heard anyone call for it before now.

Had this happened in the Bush admin? Yeah, why am I even asking.

hazlnut
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
It's a decent shot.

We should have a contest to see who could recreate it using photoshop.

If I could find some high quality NYC aerials--I could create a pretty decent looking fake.

jinxmchue
05-08-2009, 06:02 PM
They think releasing one shot and throwing Caldera under the bus will appease us.

It doesn't.

Apocalypse
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
It's a decent shot.

If I could find some high quality NYC aerials--I could create a pretty decent looking fake.
Been several challenges all over the web.

Freaking News had this one as their winner.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Dispel_Illusions/Air-Force-One.jpg

Rockntractor
05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Outstanding!!

Sonnabend
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Yet another victory for President Fuckup.

Fly an airliner over NY airspace at low altitude....did this idiot have his brains sucked out one day or is he just that thick that he has no idea of the panic he caused?

Tell me again why I am supposed to have any respect for this drooling imbecile?

Odysseus
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
It's a decent shot.

But then you'd miss all of the people in the background who are running for cover.

Teetop
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Imagine that, someone from the military, thrown under the Messiah bus. What friggin' surprise.... :rolleyes:

My question is? "Why was the 747, carrying the call sign of Air Force One?? :confused:

It only happens when the POTUS is onboard.

Rockntractor
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Imagine that, someone from the military, thrown under the Messiah bus. What friggin' surprise.... :rolleyes:

My question is? "Why was the 747, carrying the call sign of Air Force One?? :confused:

It only happens when the POTUS is onboard.
They have two planes. If one is flying decoy would it not be using the call sign of Air Force One?

Jfor
05-10-2009, 01:20 AM
What bothers me most about this whole ordeal, is that the TOTUS said he had no idea this was going on. It's his freaking plane. The thing does not take off without him allowing it.

Sonnabend
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
He lied.

Simple.

Japandroid
05-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Shouldn't AF1 be instantly recognizable at this point? Harrison Ford made a movie about the damn thing! I doubt terrorists are really going to hijack that plane and fly it around.

Rockntractor
05-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Shouldn't AF1 be instantly recognizable at this point? Harrison Ford made a movie about the damn thing! I doubt terrorists are really going to hijack that plane and fly it around.
Obama needs to grow up. Airforce one is not bling for him to show off!