PDA

View Full Version : Southern BBQ meatloaf

patriot45
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Now that I have tried this recipe, it was pretty good, there are a few things I would change. #1 would be the cheese, I would use an Italian mix of cheeses and I would throw some spinach in there too!
I love meatloaf!

Ingredients
2 lbs. Ground beef
c chopped onion
c quick cooking oats
1/8 c cornmeal
1 c dried bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg, beaten
c tomato juice( I used my famous bloody mary mix!)
c water
1 tbsp bbq sauce
1 dash liquid smoke
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
c ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp prepared mustard
2 dashes liquid smoke
3 c shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.In a large bowl combine the beef, onion, oatmeal, cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, sugar, egg, tomato juice, water, bbq sauce, 1/8 tsp liquid smoke and vinegar. Mix together thoroughly and pat our meat mixture into a 14x18 inch rectangle on a piece of wax paper. Spread cheese over the meat, leaving a inch border around the edges. Roll up jelly roll fashion to enclose the filling and form a pinwheel loaf. Press beef in on both ends to enclose the cheese. Place in a 10x15 inch baking dish.
3.In a separate bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and 2 drops of liquid smoke and mix thoroughly. Spread over the top of meatloaf.
4.Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.

Do the jelly roll!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/inthenewboat057.jpg

Glaze it
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/inthenewboat058.jpg

Cook it.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/inthenewboat059.jpg

Eat it!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/inthenewboat060.jpg

linda22003
05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
The ketchup/mustard/brown sugar glaze is the one I grew up on, so I've never been able to picture tomato sauce on meatloaf.

patriot45
05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
The ketchup/mustard/brown sugar glaze is the one I grew up on, so I've never been able to picture tomato sauce on meatloaf.

My mother makes a meatloaf almost like a meatloaf parmesan! Gooey cheese and a thick tomato sauce on top. Now you got me hungry for that!:D

Rockntractor
05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Mmmmmm!! Meatloaf! Perhaps my mood could change today.

Rockntractor
05-12-2009, 05:33 PM
The meats thawing. Thank you mr. Fourtyfive there is hope for this day yet!

Or mrs.Fourtyfive. I'm not sure on this one?

Bubba Dawg
05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Okay, sounds great up to the point where i roll it up like a jellyroll. That sounds like something i would screw up royally.

It really works? Sounds difficult.

megimoo
05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Okay, sounds great up to the point where i roll it up like a jellyroll. That sounds like something i would screw up royally.

It really works? Sounds difficult.Naw just put it on a sheet of cloth and roll it up on that or if you have one of those thin flexable plastic pie sheets roll it up that way !

Bubba Dawg
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Naw just put it on a sheet of cloth and roll it up on that or if you have one of those thin flexable plastic pie sheets roll it up that way !

Okay. Still sounds hard but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Bubba Dawg
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Mmmmmm!! Meatloaf! Perhaps my mood could change today.

Look back over the Recipe threads. Shooter is a mastercook and a masterbaker.

linda22003
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Look back over the Recipe threads. Shooter is a .... masterbaker.

Oh no you di'int. :eek:

Bubba Dawg
05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh no you di'int. :eek:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

No comment.

megimoo
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
And he sure has a big appetite !

Rockntractor
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
It came out real good. I used ground beef and ground lamb and substituted homade goat cheese for the chedder. I'm stuffed!!

patriot45
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
It came out real good. I used ground beef and ground lamb and substituted homade goat cheese for the chedder. I'm stuffed!!

Cool beans! There really isn't a bad meatloaf recipe! Leftovers are a plus!!!:D

Rockntractor
05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Cool beans! There really isn't a bad meatloaf recipe! Leftovers are a plus!!!:D
A lot of times we freeze half and use it later for a quick meal. Your recipe got me in a better mood. Thanks!

SaintLouieWoman
05-13-2009, 03:28 PM

He's telling the truth. We've eaten at Pat's last year. His cooking is awesome!

Phillygirl
05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Now that I have tried this recipe, it was pretty good, there are a few things I would change. #1 would be the cheese, I would use an Italian mix of cheeses and I would throw some spinach in there too!

A friend of mine used to make it with ricotta and spinach rolled in the center. It was good...and I don't like meatloaf.

Bubba Dawg
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
A friend of mine used to make it with ricotta and spinach rolled in the center. It was good...and I don't like meatloaf.

You don't like meatloaf.....?????:eek::eek::eek:

RobJohnson
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
The meats thawing. Thank you mr. Fourtyfive there is hope for this day yet!

Or mrs.Fourtyfive. I'm not sure on this one?

It's "Miss" & she has been single for a long time.

I'm quite the match maker.