PDA

View Full Version : Peru Bans Homosexuals from Police Forces

AHeneen
05-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Homosexuals banned from becoming policemen

THURSDAY 14 MAY 2009
France24 (http://www.france24.com/en/20090514-homosexual-gay-ban-police-force-peru-scandal)

http://www.france24.com/files/story/090514-peru_police-m.jpg

A new Peruvian regulation is to ban gay people from the ranks of the police force. Proposed by the country's hardline interior minister Mercedes Cabanillas, the law says that homosexual actions "cause scandal, or denigrate the institution's image."

AFP - Peru announced on Wednesday that it will ban homosexuals from the ranks of its police -- for sullying the image of the force.

New regulations, which also covers those engaged in extra-marital affairs, indefinitely suspends "police officers who have sexual relations with people of the same gender and because of their actions cause scandal, or denigrate the institution's image."

The law was put forward by interior minister Mercedes Cabanillas, dubbed the Peruvian "Thatcher" by local papers, after former Conservative British prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

The measures also censure those who "organize, promote, participate or incite strikes, stoppages or marches."

Japandroid
05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, Peru is not a country that should specialize in setting examples.

lacarnut
05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah, Peru is not a country that should specialize in setting examples.

If you do not live there, you need to STFU. Same old, same old; assholes living outside of the US telling us what social and economic policies we should conform to. Good for Peru.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 08:00 AM
If you do not live there, you need to STFU. Same old, same old; assholes living outside of the US telling us what social and economic policies we should conform to. Good for Peru.

Is that true for everyone here? For example, if posters do not live in the US then do they need to STFU about US politics, social issues, court decisions, etc.?

linda22003
05-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Is that true for everyone here? For example, if posters do not live in the US then do they need to STFU about US politics, social issues, court decisions, etc.?

UH-oh, I see where this is going. :p

noonwitch
05-15-2009, 08:43 AM
UH-oh, I see where this is going. :p

Yeah, me too. It's Friday, and we're having a baby shower for a coworker. I don't feel like arguing.

lacarnut
05-15-2009, 09:08 AM

For me the answer is yes. I don't a flying fuck what other countries do with their social issues, court decisions and their politics. We meddle in other countries business and in turn they do the same. We should mind our own business. War/police action is a result of some of our intervention in V.N. and South America. Do you have a problem with that?

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
For me the answer is yes. I don't a flying fuck what other countries do with their social issues, court decisions and their politics. We meddle in other countries business and in turn they do the same. We should mind our own business. War/police action is a result of some of our intervention in V.N. and South America. Do you have a problem with that?

As long as one is consistent in the application of such a viewpoint and does not selectively apply it to posters who are saying things with which one disagrees as opposed to those who say things with which one agrees, no.

lacarnut
05-15-2009, 09:47 AM
As long as one is consistent in the application of such a viewpoint and does not selectively apply it to posters who are saying things with which one disagrees as opposed to those who say things with which one agrees, no.

To further express my point, I resent some dickhead from Canada, EU or the UN telling us that we should conform to their type of government, their morals, how much money we should donate to other countries, participating in f. up treaties like Kyoto . It is none of their business.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
To further express my point, I resent some dickhead from Canada, EU or the UN telling us that we should conform to their type of government, their morals, how much money we should donate to other countries, participating in f. up treaties like Kyoto . It is none of their business.

If that's your principle, fine. I assume you object to some "dickhead" from Australia or New Zealand telling us that we should conform to his/her social norms regarding gay marriage or abortion or dictating our foreign?" Clearly, if in your example, "it's none of their business," in my example, it's also none of their business as well. To say otherwise is to say that I don't really give a damn about the principle of where the source is from, but rather I merely think that everyone who doesn't agree with me should STFU and I'm simply using the origin of the poster as a convenient excuse.

lacarnut
05-15-2009, 10:40 AM
If that's your principle, fine. I assume you object to some "dickhead" from Australia or New Zealand telling us that we should conform to his/her social norms regarding gay marriage or abortion or dictating our foreign?" Clearly, if in your example, "it's none of their business," in my example, it's also none of their business as well. To say otherwise is to say that I don't really give a damn about the principle of where the source is from, but rather I merely think that everyone who doesn't agree with me should STFU and I'm simply using the origin of the poster as a convenient excuse.

I have stated my position. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't want some dickhead from any country including BFE telling us how we should run any and all aspects of our politics, health care, abortion, gay marriage, our morals or our customs.

stsinner
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
For me the answer is yes. I don't a flying fuck what other countries do with their social issues, court decisions and their politics.

Agreed!!! I applaud Peru's decision.

CueSi
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
If they can afford to do it. . .I guess they can. I wouldn't do it, but. . .that's just me.

~QC