PDA

View Full Version : More Americans pro-life than pro-choice

Apocalypse
05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42% "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/qgpmcs1jxuwo2l6achm_cg.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/More-Americans-Pro-Life-Than-Pro-Choice-First-Time.aspx

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42% "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/qgpmcs1jxuwo2l6achm_cg.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/More-Americans-Pro-Life-Than-Pro-Choice-First-Time.aspx

Ah, it's good to see that conservatives have regained their faith in polls. :D

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Dont worry Hazldouche or toilet closet will not believe this poll.

linda22003
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
And the most pro-abortion president was just elected by a decisive margin. This would indicate that however you "feel" about abortion, it's not a big voting issue for most people.

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
And the most pro-abortion president was just elected by a decisive margin. This would indicate that however you "feel" about abortion, it's not a big voting issue for most people.

52 percent aint a decisive margin sweet cheeks.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Correct. It's not a hot button issue any longer. People are much more concerned with economic and international policy issues than with abortion. Further, it's settled law unlikely to be changed (given Obama's opportunity to appoint USSC justices) in our lifetimes. It'd done.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Significantly more decisive than either the 2000 or 2004 elections. And remember the R cry after those much closer elections: "You lost. Get over it."

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Correct. It's not a hot button issue any longer. People are much more concerned with economic and international policy issues than with abortion. Further, it's settled law unlikely to be changed (given Obama's opportunity to appoint USSC justices) in our lifetimes. It'd done.

Well slavery was settled law along with "separate but equal" but they were over turned. :p

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Significantly more decisive than either the 2000 or 2004 elections. And remember the R cry after those much closer elections: "You lost. Get over it."

I am not crying over it, unlike you and your ilk on the left I didnt think the magic negro stole the election. :p

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I am not crying over it, unlike you and your ilk on the left I didnt think the magic negro stole the election. :p

Sorry, us in the center don't think either Bush or Obama stole the election. However, it was not simply in response to the election results that "You lost. Get over it." became the mantra of the right; rather it was always the argument of last resort against those who opposed any of Georgie's policies.

FeebMaster
05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
It's only natural. As the government continues to grow, the number of people supporting further growth is only going to increase.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:34 AM
It's only natural. As the government continues to grow, the number of people supporting further growth is only going to increase.

That may be true subconsciously. However, probably a more simple explanation would be the growing number of primarily catholic hispanics in this country.

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Sorry, us in the center don't think either Bush or Obama stole the election. However, it was not simply in response to the election results that "You lost. Get over it." became the mantra of the right; rather it was always the argument of last resort against those who opposed any of Georgie's policies.

Sorry cept for taxe issues I really dont see much "center" in your views. Just because you call it center dont make it so.

linda22003
05-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Sure it is. No one challenged the election results, which is more than we can say for some previous years.

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Sorry cept for taxe issues I really dont see much "center" in your views. Just because you call it center dont make it so.

Sorry, I fully supported Georgie's invasion of Iraq, although I thought he and Rummy bumbled the occupation horribly (if the Surge was so brilliant, why did Bush resist it for 3 years?). Further, you don't think many, many centrists are pro-choice? Finally, my positions on individual privacy, gay rights, and legalization of "victimless crimes," derive from my very conservative position (libertarian, actually, but one conservatives pretend to believe in) of limiting the power of government (any government, federal, local, state).

Water Closet
05-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Sure it is. No one challenged the election results, which is more than we can say for some previous years.

Well, not exactly. Don't forget the Philadelphia Troofer, Philip Berg and his crazy ilk.

linda22003
05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, okay. There were some marginal types out there. My point was that "decisive" does not, and does not have to, equal "landslide".

noonwitch
05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
It always depends on how the question is raised. There are a lot of people who will say yes if they are asked if they are pro-life, but respond yes also when asked if abortion should be legalized.

Phillygirl
05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
It always depends on how the question is raised. There are a lot of people who will say yes if they are asked if they are pro-life, but respond yes also when asked if abortion should be legalized.

The article delves into that. It's interesting. Fewer people now want completely unrestricted access to abortion. That is a significant change.

Rebel Yell
05-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Lars, I hate to bring this up in response to your post. It's not a personal shot.

There is no left and right in this country anymore. THEY'RE ALL LEFT OF CENTER. The populace has become so focused on Democrat=Left / Republican=Right that the big picture has been forgotten. The founding fathers would call ALL OF US LEFTISTS. They wouldn't believe that we have put up with the expansion of government that has taken place since the Revolutionary War withuot revolting again.

Left (Liberals) __________________________________________________ ___Right (Conservatives)

But in reality, it's more like this.....

Total Gov_____4_______3_________________________________ _____________2___1__No Gov

1. Articles of Confederation 1777 (too close to anarchy, didn't work)

2. U.S. Constitution 1787 (just enough control to keep people in line)

3. Today's Republican Party

4. Today's Democratic Party

Lars1701a
05-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Lars, I hate to bring this up in response to your post. It's not a personal shot.

There is no left and right in this country anymore. THEY'RE ALL LEFT OF CENTER. The populace has become so focused on Democrat=Left / Republican=Right that the big picture has been forgotten. The founding fathers would call ALL OF US LEFTISTS. They wouldn't believe that we have put up with the expansion of government that has taken place since the Revolutionary War withuot revolting again.

Left (Liberals) __________________________________________________ ___Right (Conservatives)

But in reality, it's more like this.....

Total Gov_____4_______3_________________________________ _____________2___1__No Gov

1. Articles of Confederation 1777 (too close to anarchy, didn't work)

2. U.S. Constitution 1787 (just enough control to keep people in line)

3. Today's Republican Party

4. Today's Democratic Party

I agree with you. Hell our parents prolly think we are more liberal. :D