PDA

View Full Version : Climate change activists rally through city

Sonnabend
05-16-2009, 05:46 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25491764-29277,00.html

SOME 200 climate change activists have rallied in central Sydney to protest against the Government's emissions trading scheme (ETS), blocking traffic as they marched through CBD streets calling for tougher action.

Traffic was blocked as the protesters marched down George and Liverpool streets before rallying outside the Labor Party headquarters on Sussex Street this morning.

The Federal Government has delayed the introduction of the scheme for 12 months until mid-2011, increasing the upper limit of its carbon reduction target range to 25 per cent of 2000 emission levels by 2020.

Some green groups say the stronger 2020 targets means there's now a better chance of achieving a satisfactory international agreement at talks in Copenhagen later this year.

Last time I checked, population of Sydney alone was over five million.

Two hundred. Out of five million people.

"We speak for the people:"

Riiighttttttt......:p

Japandroid
05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
What are the estimates on the Tea Party attendance? I read 100,000 in a few places, thats .0003% of the US population.

Odysseus
05-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What are the estimates on the Tea Party attendance? I read 100,000 in a few places, thats .0003% of the US population.

Hard to tell, since the media uses two different formulas for crowd estimates:

Liberal rally: Count all people, to include police, emergency responders, media, sidewalk venders, passersby, people in adjacent office buildings who may sympathize with, or at least have heard the rally, plus any persons who may have wanted to attend but were unable to due to the inequities of the system which the rally was meant to protest. Multiply by the number of actual persons in attendance and add two zeros.

Conservative rally: Did somebody hear something? No? Gee, isn't that Obama just swell? What, conservatives are rallying? Where? Can't be. Obama is too swell for people to oppose. Must be racists or guys who are into teabagging. Heh... I said teabagging. heh heh... Okay, that's funny enough to put on the air. Let's say that twenty of these wingnuts showed up and keep the camera from picking up more than that.

CorwinK
05-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Dont forget to take into account that your average conservative is the guy getting screwed in all these bailouts...you know, going to work...paying the bills...cant take vacation so that he/she can keep getting paid? Also, dont forget guys who couldnt get off at alll *points to self* the military frowns on its members taking leave if they know that said member is just gonna go protest the government :rolleyes:

lacarnut
05-16-2009, 04:18 PM

The figures were 600,000 to 800,000 throughout the US. The July 4 tea party will be larger. Many of those that voted for the Obimnation are beginning to have buyers remorse.

Sonnabend
05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
What are the estimates on the Tea Party attendance? I read 100,000 in a few places, thats .0003% of the US population.US wide you are talking close to a million and GROWING.

A lot of them are local and small and when taken individually are small, when taken together? HUGE.

P.S The TEA parties are in regards to OBummer's tax idiocies, and the debt he has landed the US with is very very real.

"Climate change / global warming" is a myth, a lie, a scam.

One is real, the other is bullshit fearmongering by a fat, millionaire hypocrite who would never dream of practising what he preaches..

P.S What's your DU name?

Sonnabend
05-17-2009, 06:07 AM
BTW

You wont see many conservatives at these rallies because they are AT WORK.

hazlnut
05-22-2009, 12:24 AM
"Climate change / global warming" is a myth, a lie, a scam.

One is real, the other is bullshit fearmongering by a fat, millionaire hypocrite who would never dream of practising what he preaches..

The only bigger scam is that whole Origin of Species evolution junk science...:mad:

I don't know who I hate more, the IPCC or Charles Darwin...:p

Einstein...:eek: Don't get me started!

AmPat
05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't believe the collective flatulence of the 200 smelly activists could raise the temperature much but them blocking traffic in a city that large might. Imagine the heat of all those exhaust systems at idle in a large traffic jam.;)