PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Graduation Address At ND Sparks Protests

megimoo
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Obama calls for 'fair-minded words'

U.S. President Barack Obama addresses commencement ceremonies at the University of Notre Dame in South

President Barack Obama confronted the issue of abortion head on Sunday at Notre Dame, acknowledging that differences over the issue are largely irreconcilable but issuing a plea to those on both sides to tone down harsh rhetoric and search for “common ground” he believes is possible.

“I do not suggest that the debate surrounding abortion can or should go away,” Obama said. “No matter how much we may want to fudge it – indeed, while we know that the views of most Americans on the subject are complex and even contradictory – the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable,” he told graduates.

“Each side will continue to make its case to the public with passion and conviction. But surely we can do so without reducing those with differing views to caricature.”

He called for a respectful debate marked by “open hearts, open minds, fair-minded words.”

Obama’s commencement address marked his most direct remarks on abortion as president – and he delivered them at the nation’s flagship Catholic university, where his appearance sparked protests. But while he often drew on his personal experiences to make his points and highlight his respect for Catholicism, Obama never substantively addressed why he believes a woman has the right to abortion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090517/pl_politico/22611

Japandroid
05-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I dont understand this thread.

Rockntractor
05-18-2009, 12:58 AM
I dont understand this thread.
All this thread contains so far are the words of our President. Why would you not understand it?

Japandroid
05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Because it has barely anything to do with protests contrary to what the title suggests.

Rockntractor
05-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Because it has barely anything to do with protests contrary to what the title suggests.
Do you know how to follow the link and read the entire story?

linda22003
05-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Twenty six students attended the protest alternative to commencement.

Water Closet
05-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Twenty six students attended the protest alternative to commencement.

OMG! That's hugh!!! :D

linda22003
05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Out of the 2900 who attended commencement. :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
05-18-2009, 08:40 AM

Linda is going to be fired as our resident editor----think the word is "huge", not "hugh". :D

linda22003
05-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Linda is going to be fired as our resident editor----think the word is "huge", not "hugh". :D

I think that's intentional; it recurs on some boards as a joking way of saying HUGE, like the use of "teh" for "the". That's one thing the Notre Dame protest was not - HUGH. People are weeping and wailing about this on FR; I'm glad we're more circumspect.