PDA

View Full Version : "Hamlet :Something Is Rotton in Notre Dame du Lac !"

megimoo
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
"The Odor Of Brimstone At Notre Dame !"

Obama Greeted by Cheers, Protests at Notre Dame
"She Prays that the Atheist's Words Will Strangle Him ."
Remarks by President Obama at Notre Dame University Commencement Ceremony .
THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, congratulations, Class of 2009. (Applause.) Congratulations to all the parents, the cousins -- (applause) -- the aunts, the uncles -- all the people who helped to bring you to the point that you are here today.

Thank you so much to Father Jenkins for that extraordinary introduction, even though you said what I want to say much more elegantly. (Laughter.) You are doing an extraordinary job as president of this extraordinary institution. (Applause.) Your continued and courageous -- and contagious -- commitment to honest, thoughtful dialogue is an inspiration to us all. (Applause.)
What Obama actually said to graduates at Notre Dame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1294OzCK0To&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Flatimesblogs%2Elatimes%2Ecom%2Fw ashington%2F2009%2F

"What an Arrogant Looking Critter, Almost a Conqueror."
Good afternoon. To Father Hesburgh, to Notre Dame trustees, to faculty, to family: I am honored to be here today. (Applause.) And I am grateful to all of you for allowing me to be a part of your graduation.

And I also want to thank you for the honorary degree that I received. I know it has not been without controversy. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but these honorary degrees are apparently pretty hard to come by. (Laughter.)

So far I’m only 1 for 2 as President. (Laughter and applause.) Father Hesburgh is 150 for 150. (Laughter and applause.) I guess that’s better. (Laughter.) So, Father Ted, after the ceremony, maybe you can give me some pointers to boost my average. I also want to congratulate the Class of 2009 for all your accomplishments. And since this is Notre Dame --

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Abortion is murder! Stop killing children!

AUDIENCE: Booo!

THE PRESIDENT: That’s all right. And since --

AUDIENCE: We are ND! We are ND!

AUDIENCE: Yes, we can! Yes, we can!

THE PRESIDENT: We’re fine, everybody. We’re following Brennan’s adage that we don’t do things easily. (Laughter.) We’re not going to shy away from things that are uncomfortable sometimes. (Applause.)

Now, since this is Notre Dame I think we should talk not only about your accomplishments in the classroom, but also in the competitive arena. (Laughter.) No, don’t worry, I’m not going to talk about that. (Laughter.) We all know about this university’s proud and storied football team, but I also hear that Notre Dame holds the largest outdoor 5-on-5 basketball tournament in the world -- Bookstore Basketball. (Applause.)

Now this excites me. (Laughter.) I want to congratulate the winners of this year’s tournament, a team by the name of “Hallelujah Holla Back.” (Laughter and applause.) Congratulations. Well done. Though I have to say, I am personally disappointed that the “Barack O’Ballers” did not pull it out this year. (Laughter.) So next year, if you need a 6’2” forward with a decent jumper, you know where I live. (Laughter and applause.)

Every one of you should be proud of what you have achieved at this institution. One hundred and sixty-three classes of Notre Dame graduates have sat where you sit today. Some were here during years that simply rolled into the next without much notice or fanfare -- periods of relative peace and prosperity that required little by way of sacrifice or struggle.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/05/barack-obama-speech-notre-dame.html

megimoo
05-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Obama Honor Puts Notre Dame's Catholic Standing at Risk

Catholics and critics debate the lasting effect of President Obama's 2009 commencement address and the university's awarding of an honorary law degree.
History of the University
A Place Born of Imagination and Will

The University of Notre Dame began late on the bitterly cold afternoon of November 26, 1842, when a 28-year-old French priest, Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., and seven companions, all of them members of the recently established Congregation of Holy Cross, took possession of 524 snow-covered acres that the Bishop of Vincennes had given them in the Indiana mission fields.

A man of lively imagination, Father Sorin named his fledging school in honor of Our Lady, in his native tongue, “L’Université de Notre Dame du Lac” (The University of Our Lady of the Lake). On January 15, 1844, the University was thus officially chartered by the Indiana legislature.

Father Sorin’s indomitable will was best demonstrated in 1879 when a disastrous fire destroyed the Main Building, which housed virtually the entire University. Father Sorin willed Notre Dame to rebuild and continue its growth.

The University of Notre Dame is taking a hit with President Obama's commencement invitation, not just to its reputation but its wallet.
The 44th president delivered the school's commencement address Sunday afternoon, as anti-abortion protesters demonstrated outside and inside the main event. The scrum attracted widespread media attention and threatened to overshadow other aspects of the Catholic institution's graduation ceremonies.

But long after Obama leaves South Bend, Catholics and members of the Notre Dame community will debate the president's 2009 commencement address and the university's awarding of an honorary law degree.

And the appearance could have a lasting effect on the school's standing in the Catholic community.

According to organizers of Replace Jenkins.com, a Web site critical of Notre Dame President Rev. John Jenkins' decision to host President Obama, more than 1,400 pledges have been received from alumni and donors promising to withhold future donations, a tally of nearly $14 million.

"Most of the donors were at least loosely aware of the university's trend away from its Catholic identity," spokesman David DiFranco said in a press release issued on Tuesday. "But the invitation of President Obama to speak and to receive an honorary degree, combined with the weak responses presented by Father Jenkins as a defense to those (who) have criticized the decision, is what drives most alumni to our site."

In "nearly all cases," DiFranco said, alumni who contacted the group had already decided to cease donating.

University spokesman Dennis Brown declined to comment.

"Our conversations with alumni benefactors and others about their plans to give or not are confidential," Brown wrote

In a letter to graduates on Monday, Jenkins acknowledged the debate surrounding Obama's visit and reiterated both his and the university's stance on abortion.

"I am saddened that many friends of Notre Dame have suggested that our invitation to President Obama indicates ambiguity in our position on matters of Catholic teaching," Jenkins wrote. "The university and I are unequivocally committed to the sanctity of human life and to its protection from conception to natural death."

Jenkins, who cited Notre Dame's "long custom" of conferring honorary degrees to sitting U.S. presidents, praised Obama's policies on immigration and health care.

"Ultimately, I hope that the conversations and the good that will come from this day will contribute to closer relations between Catholics and public officials who make decisions on matter of human life and human dignity," Jenkins wrote. "There is much to admire and celebrate in the life and work of President Obama."

Fifty-six percent of U.S. voters, including 60 percent of Catholics, believe Notre Dame should not have rescinded its invitation to President Obama, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday. Observant Catholics, meanwhile, were less divided, with 49 percent supporting Obama's presence, compared to 43 percent who did not.

"My strong hope is that serious Catholics will not let this particular incident drive them away from Notre Dame, which remains very important in the life of the Church," Professor Richard Garnett wrote FOXNews.com earlier this month. "But, Notre Dame has allowed itself to get into a very unhealthy adversarial relationship with many bishops, and lay Catholics.

"The university is going to have to find ways to demonstrate its Catholic character, to reassure those who think that the invitation to President Obama revealed a lack of commitment to that character."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/17/notre-dames-standing-catholics-risk/

linda22003
05-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you realize you're the only one posting about this? (Over and over and over). Is it because you're Catholic? It can't be because you're a Notre Dame graduate (or apparently a graduate of any other university, either).

CueSi
05-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Do you realize you're the only one posting about this? (Over and over and over). Is it because you're Catholic? It can't be because you're a Notre Dame graduate (or apparently a graduate of any other university, either).

Was THAT really necessary?

Christ.

~QC

linda22003
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
With Megi? You bet. In fact, that was gentle.

CueSi
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM
With Megi? You bet. In fact, that was gentle.

After my first run in with him, I found that I don't agree with him, he's inflexible, and his sources are biased, and didn't comprehend a damn thing I said. But to me, it doesn't come up to requiring a hit on his education. I try not to do that to the libs here (been sorely tempted to though), but I know it's elitist no matter how you slice it.

Maybe I'm too nice or something.

~QC

linda22003
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
You may be right. I don't need to point out the obvious. He makes self-inflicted hits on his education every time he posts. :)

hazlnut
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM

I take it he hasn't actually read Hamlet either...:(

Or he thinks ND University is in Denmark.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Megimoo.
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
;)

linda22003
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Or in Arthurian legend, since he calls it "Our Lady of the Lake". :rolleyes:

hazlnut
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM

And 'Rotton'... I'm not familiar with that spelling.

megimoo
05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

There are more things in heaven and earth, Megimoo.
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
;)Isn't it ? To paraphrase or not to paraphrase that is the Question ?

A bit of a boobie ,you are, I'd say !:rolleyes:

megimoo
05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
And 'Rotton'... I'm not familiar with that spelling.The given name " “L’Université de Notre Dame du Lac” (The University of Our Lady of the Lake)."

CueSi
05-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Uh, when you google Notre Dame Du Lac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Notre_Dame), the first hit is nd.edu. . .it is the alternate name. . .

I think you owe megi a little bit of an I'm sorry for this. I mean, he's inflexible and biased, but he ain't stupid. . .or not as stupid as you think he is.

~QC

linda22003
05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I think you owe megi a little bit of an I'm sorry for this. I mean, he's inflexible and biased, but he ain't stupid. . .or not as stupid as you think he is.

~QC

As to your first point, Megi did get me on that point. I had no idea Notre Dame was tied into Arthurian legend. As to the second point, it wouldn't be possible. :)