PDA

View Full Version : "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him. ...

megimoo
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Pentagon reports no longer quote Bible

"Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him. ... To deliver their soul from death."

The Pentagon said Monday it no longer includes a Bible quote on the cover page of daily intelligence briefings it sends to the White House as was practice during the Bush administration.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said he did not know how long the Worldwide Intelligence Update cover sheets quoted from the Bible. Air Force Maj. Gen. Glen Shaffer, who was responsible for including them, retired in August 2003, according to his biography.

For a period in 2003, at least, the daily reports prepared for President George W. Bush carried quotes from the books of Psalms and Ephesians and the Gospel of Peter. At the time, the reports focused largely on the war in Iraq.

The Bible quotes apparently aimed to support Bush at a time when soldiers' deaths in Iraq were on the rise, according to the June issue of CQ magazine. But they offended at least one Muslim analyst at the Pentagon and worried other employees that the passages were inappropriate.

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, for example, the report quoted the book of Psalms "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him. ... To deliver their soul from death." and featured pictures of the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down and celebrating crowds in Baghdad.

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand," read the cover quote two weeks earlier, on March 31, above a picture of a U.S. tank driving through the desert, according to the magazine, which obtained copies of the documents.

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, on Monday said U.S. soldiers "are not Christian crusaders, and they ought not be depicted as such."

"Depicting the Iraq conflict as some sort of holy war is completely outrageous," Lynn said in a statement. "It's contrary to the constitutional separation of religion and government, and it's tremendously damaging to America's reputation in the world."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/18/national/w151332D31.DTL

Troll
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
This is news.....how?

Water Closet
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Pentagon reports no longer quote Bible

"Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him. ... To deliver their soul from death."

The Pentagon said Monday it no longer includes a Bible quote on the cover page of daily intelligence briefings it sends to the White House as was practice during the Bush administration.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said he did not know how long the Worldwide Intelligence Update cover sheets quoted from the Bible. Air Force Maj. Gen. Glen Shaffer, who was responsible for including them, retired in August 2003, according to his biography.

For a period in 2003, at least, the daily reports prepared for President George W. Bush carried quotes from the books of Psalms and Ephesians and the Gospel of Peter. At the time, the reports focused largely on the war in Iraq.

The Bible quotes apparently aimed to support Bush at a time when soldiers' deaths in Iraq were on the rise, according to the June issue of CQ magazine. But they offended at least one Muslim analyst at the Pentagon and worried other employees that the passages were inappropriate.

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, for example, the report quoted the book of Psalms "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him. ... To deliver their soul from death." and featured pictures of the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down and celebrating crowds in Baghdad.

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand," read the cover quote two weeks earlier, on March 31, above a picture of a U.S. tank driving through the desert, according to the magazine, which obtained copies of the documents.

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, on Monday said U.S. soldiers "are not Christian crusaders, and they ought not be depicted as such."

"Depicting the Iraq conflict as some sort of holy war is completely outrageous," Lynn said in a statement. "It's contrary to the constitutional separation of religion and government, and it's tremendously damaging to America's reputation in the world."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/18/national/w151332D31.DTL

Another improvement under the Obama administration. If you're going to quote scripture, at least quote the Rig Veda.

hazlnut
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I am for every Pentagon Military Intelligence briefing containing a quote from Dr. Strangelove:

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No, I don't think I do, sir, no.

General Jack D. Ripper: He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

BadCat
05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I am for every Pentagon Military Intelligence briefing containing a quote from Dr. Strangelove:

Change "Communist" to "liberal" and I agree with you.

megimoo
05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I am for every Pentagon Military Intelligence briefing containing a quote from Dr. Strangelove:An interesting mind, yours !

megimoo
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
This is news.....how?Try to pay attention, kid !:rolleyes:

megimoo
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Another improvement under the Obama administration. If you're going to quote scripture, at least quote the Rig Veda.I would have wagered that you would opt for something from The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel ?

Water Closet
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I would have wagered that you would opt for something from The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel ?

I actually prefer Voltaire over Rabelais. However, I think it very scary that the idiot child with his finger on the nuclear button requires his subordinates to affix quotations from the Christian scriptures to his reports.

Water Closet
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM

And the commies are 90 miles from our shores!!!! :eek:

megimoo
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I actually prefer Voltaire over Rabelais. However, I think it very scary that the idiot child with his finger on the nuclear button requires his subordinates to affix quotations from the Christian scriptures to his reports.
You feel better with this Ghetto Organizer making that decision,why ?Do you really know anything about this bird ?You are willing to trade your BDS for this critter . No transcripts,no birth certificate,no track record, no trace before or after Yale or Harvard !Bush or as you call him "Idiot Boy' has a paper trail but your Boy is shrouded in mystery .I wonder why ?

CueSi
05-19-2009, 02:07 AM

Why single that one out? I don't get it. Saving your :rolleyes: quotient for one group doesn't make you efficient, it makes you look narrowminded.

Personally, I'd include the more warlike quotes from the Koran as a reminder of the mentality we're fighting.

~QC

CueSi
05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Whoops... this story may not be as true as we think after all... via Politico (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/Rumsfeld_disputes_GQ_report.html?showall).

But hey... you want to get your licks in.

I understand.:rolleyes:

~QC

lacarnut
05-19-2009, 07:48 PM
You feel better with this Ghetto Organizer making that decision,why ?Do you really know anything about this bird ?You are willing to trade your BDS for this critter .

I asked him that question and his response was that he gave Bush a 4 or 5 years honeymoon period and he is going to give the Ghetto Organizer that period of time. From what I have seen from the O, he is going to screw up the economy big time. If job losses continue, taxes go up, we are attacked again, you think he might change his tune? Naw, he has been infected with Obama's DS because everything is Bush's fault.

Water Closet
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
I asked him that question and his response was that he gave Bush a 4 or 5 years honeymoon period and he is going to give the Ghetto Organizer that period of time. From what I have seen from the O, he is going to screw up the economy big time. If job losses continue, taxes go up, we are attacked again, you think he might change his tune? Naw, he has been infected with Obama's DS because everything is Bush's fault.

Clearly one cannot blame the economy and job losses during the first 4 months of an administration on the new people. It took, for example, 18+ months for Reagan to begin to turn around the Carter economy; it took Clinton a year to turn around the economy of Bush Sr.

I don't agree with Obama's approach to the problem, but let's see. Perhaps, at the very least, it will solidify an anti-tax, anti-government coalition that's free of the whacky-whacky values of the social conservatives.

lacarnut
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Clearly one cannot blame the economy and job losses during the first 4 months of an administration on the new people. It took, for example, 18+ months for Reagan to begin to turn around the Carter economy; it took Clinton a year to turn around the economy of Bush Sr.

I don't agree with Obama's approach to the problem, but let's see. Perhaps, at the very least, it will solidify an anti-tax, anti-government coalition that's free of the whacky-whacky values of the social conservatives.

When Obama institues increases of higher income taxes on your ass, you will yearn for the day of the tax policies under the Bush Admin. We will see who gets wacked out then. Won't be me. Speaking of getting wacked, I would feel safer with Bush as CIC than a community organizer especially if I lived up in your neck of the woods.

Gingersnap
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Whoops... this story may not be as true as we think after all... via Politico (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/Rumsfeld_disputes_GQ_report.html?showall).

But hey... you want to get your licks in.

I understand.:rolleyes:

~QC

The suggestion that Rumsfeld would have composed, approved of, or personally shown the slides to President Bush is flat wrong. It did not happen.

Really? Jeeze, people will believe anything now. The idea of a staffer going to Bible Gateway every day for a quote seems pretty far fetched and I'd be for that kind of thing under some circumstances.:rolleyes:

Water Closet
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Really? Jeeze, people will believe anything now. The idea of a staffer going to Bible Gateway every day for a quote seems pretty far fetched and I'd be for that kind of thing under some circumstances.:rolleyes:

This is the claim of a Rummy staffer. GQ is standing by its story. We'll see.

Gingersnap
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
This is the claim of a Rummy staffer. GQ is standing by its story. We'll see.

That we will. Again, I'm in the "who cares" categaory. Had the quotes been from Alinsky, would this have been worse or better, if true?

Lanie
05-20-2009, 06:03 AM
I have a question. How often was/is the government consideing the bible? lol. I don't think the decision is meant to be anti-God. I think it's just meant to be respectful toward all government employees. Everybody can still pray when they want to, go to church when they want to, and meet for bible study. Nobody's rights have been violated.