PDA

View Full Version : Obama says he wants progress with Iran by year's end

patriot45
05-19-2009, 08:25 AM
My wish is my command! (http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE54H4QX20090518)

Those Iranians are in for it now! the glorious 0 has set a timetable!! And if they dont listen, well, I guess he will set another timetable!

U.S. President Barack Obama set a rough timetable for his diplomatic outreach to arch-foe Iran for the first time on Monday, saying he wanted to see serious progress by the end of the year.

He also held out the prospect of tougher sanctions against Tehran "to ensure that Iran understands we are serious."

Obama's comments came after talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in which the new Israeli leader was expected to stress Israel's concerns about Iran's nuclear program. Israel believes it is a cover to build atomic weapons.

With many Israelis skeptical about his efforts to engage Iran diplomatically, Obama stressed that attempts by the previous Bush administration to isolate Iran had failed, "so what we are going to try to do is do something different."

Sitting next to Netanyahu in the Oval Office, Obama said he hoped to begin negotiations with Tehran soon, after Iran holds elections next month. Iran's leaders have so far rebuffed his efforts to reach out to them and toughened their rhetoric.

"The important thing is to make sure there is a clear timetable, at which we point we say these talks don't seem to be making any serious progress," Obama said.

"By the end of the year we should have some sense whether or not these discussions are starting to yield significant benefits, whether we are starting to see serious movement on the part of Iranians," he said

Lars1701a
05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
If they dont respond by the end of the year the magic negro will slap sanctions on them!!!!11!!!!1 :rolleyes:

Big fucking deal.

samurai
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
No need... no matter what happens, by years end Obama will simply declare that relations have dramatically improved, and the fawning press will eat it up!

Odysseus
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
My wish is my command! (http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE54H4QX20090518)

Those Iranians are in for it now! the glorious 0 has set a timetable!! And if they dont listen, well, I guess he will set another timetable!

Ah, to parse, or not to parse... Oh well, if I gotta, I gotta. :D

U.S. President Barack Obama set a rough timetable for his diplomatic outreach to arch-foe Iran for the first time on Monday, saying he wanted to see serious progress by the end of the year.
Translation: There's a midterm election coming up, and if I don't have something to show on the foreign policy front, I might just lose some seats in the congress.

He also held out the prospect of tougher sanctions against Tehran "to ensure that Iran understands we are serious."
Translation: No, really! We're serious! I'm going to convince Putin and the Chinese to stop supplying nuclear technology to Iran and to help enforce sanctions. I've got this great speech all prepped on the teleprompter and everything. They'll have to listen, because I'm the one.

Obama's comments came after talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in which the new Israeli leader was expected to stress Israel's concerns about Iran's nuclear program. Israel believes it is a cover to build atomic weapons.
With many Israelis skeptical about his efforts to engage Iran diplomatically, Obama stressed that attempts by the previous Bush administration to isolate Iran had failed, "so what we are going to try to do is do something different."
Translation: Something different meaning the same thing that we've been doing for thirty years, which is try to find someone in Iran who will negotiate, but first I'm going to apologize for everything that came before me so that they know that this time, we mean it, because this time, it's me, not Bush or Reagan.

Sitting next to Netanyahu in the Oval Office, Obama said he hoped to begin negotiations with Tehran soon, after Iran holds elections next month. Iran's leaders have so far rebuffed his efforts to reach out to them and toughened their rhetoric.
Translation: See? They're already talking with me. This is progress, Bibi. Really! We have a dialogue now. I apologize, and they tell me how much that they hate America and how awful we are. With common ground like that, it's only a matter of time before we've agreed to disagree. Chill out, Bibi. I've got lots of Jewish friends and they're all with me on this. George Soros says that he's prepared to invest heavily in the process, just like his stepdad did during WWII.

"The important thing is to make sure there is a clear timetable, at which we point we say these talks don't seem to be making any serious progress," Obama said.
"By the end of the year we should have some sense whether or not these discussions are starting to yield significant benefits, whether we are starting to see serious movement on the part of Iranians," he said
Translation: At which point, I can say that I did my best, and that's all that will matter to the American people, at least the ones who voted for me and who write OPEDs for the Times. And, if Soros starts shorting Tel Aviv real estate futures now, he can finance a whole new election cycle, and if things work out and Tel Aviv isn't reduced to a thermic mist, then I can claim victory. It's a win/win.

BadCat
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
No need... no matter what happens, by years end Obama will simply declare that relations have dramatically improved, and the fawning press will eat it up!

He MAY write a letter to the UN.

That'll be about it.

Odysseus
05-19-2009, 01:22 PM
He MAY write a letter to the UN.

That'll be about it.

What? Are you kidding? He means it this time. He may write two or even three letters to the UN, and possibly even appear on Oprah. If I were Amedinejad, I'd be really worried. Or at least I'd look worried. Okay, maybe not look it, but underneath it all, there'd be some kernel of worry there. You look hard enough and you'll find it.

AlmostThere
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Translation: See? They're already talking with me. This is progress, Bibi. Really! We have a dialogue now. I apologize, and they tell me how much that they hate America and how awful we are. With common ground like that, it's only a matter of time before we've agreed to disagree. Chill out, Bibi. I've got lots of Jewish friends and they're all with me on this. George Soros says that he's prepared to invest heavily in the process, just like his stepdad did during WWII.

Isn't Tivadar Soros his biological father? I believe Tivadar, George and the mother came to the U.S. in 56 during the Hungarian Revolution. Who was the step-father?

Odysseus
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Isn't Tivadar Soros his biological father? I believe Tivadar, George and the mother came to the U.S. in 56 during the Hungarian Revolution. Who was the step-father?

Tivadar Soros was George Soros' father, but he paid a gentile to hide George in 1944. The guy who his father paid was a Ministry of Agriculture employee who was in charge of the confiscation of Jewish property, with Soros pretending to be his son and assisting him. That's who I was referring to as his "step-father," although faux-father may have been more accurate. Regardless, Soros is no stranger to making a buck off of anti-semitism.

lacarnut
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Obummer could enlist the help of the peanut farmer, and that would really scare the shit out of Iranians.

Speedy
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
All Barack Obama has ever done is run for office in hopes of winning so he can use the springboard from the office he just won to catapult himself to the next one. If only he had chose someone other than Osama bin Biden as his vice President.

You know, at one of his Press Conferences, some reporter should ask Obama when he plans to start campaigning for the President of the Federation of Planets.

Japandroid
05-19-2009, 04:28 PM
arch-foe Iran
Is this what we've been reduced to? Historically our "arch-foes" have been, in order:

The British Empire
The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
The Third Reich
The USSR
Iran.

Lars1701a
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Is this what we've been reduced to? Historically our "arch-foes" have been, in order:

The British Empire
The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
The Third Reich
The USSR
Iran.

Iran with nukes.

You forgot that.

USSR was never an economic power house. They just had alot of nukes.

lacarnut
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
All Barack Obama has ever done is run for office in hopes of winning so he can use the springboard from the office he just won to catapult himself to the next one. If only he had chose someone other than Osama bin Biden as his vice President.

You know, at one of his Press Conferences, some reporter should ask Obama when he plans to start campaigning for the President of the Federation of Planets.

If the Obummer gets his way, the US will be governed under a One World Order administered by the UN. So to answer your question; that will be his next campaign gig.

Odysseus
05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Obummer could enlist the help of the peanut farmer, and that would really scare the shit out of Iranians.
I'm reminded of an SNL skit where Dana Carvey played Jimmy Carter doing his election observer bit in
Nicuaraga. He entered a polling place where the government types were roasting a chicken over burning ballots. When he complained, they started pushing him around and talking about how "scared" they were of the man who was beaten up by a killer rabbit and called him Mr. Malaise. It was a great bit, and something that SNL wouldn't do today, sadly.

I'm sure that Obama will promise to serve at least one full term as POTUS before pursuing higher office. Besides, I doubt that he could win that, what with his being married to a Klingon and all... :D

You've pegged Obama perfectly, though. He's a career politician who's spent his entire life shimmying up the public food chain. He has never actually done anything in any office, certainly nothing that entailed any kind of administrative or executive skills. I'd have thought that even the media would have had more sense that this.