PDA

View Full Version : If this were the Old Testament, Harry Potter would be executed

Water Closet
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.

megimoo
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.CW/WC You finally found a new supplier of some strong stuff .Day tripping is bad for business and you may never make it back to your pad in Hartford.Try the magic mushrooms .

Water Closet
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
CW/WC You finally found a new supplier of some strong stuff .Day tripping is bad for business and you may never make it back to your pad in Hartford.Try the magic mushrooms .

As usual megs, the subtlety of your argument is too much for me, a poor Berkley graduate who toils away at a job in the State Department. However, these kids are Gremlin material. Here's the scene in the bowling alley (forgive the subtitles)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExlFnLx_YVE

AlmostThere
05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
As usual megs, the subtlety of your argument is too much for me, a poor Berkley graduate who toils away at a job in the State Department. However, these kids are Gremlin material. Here's the scene in the bowling alley (forgive the subtitles)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExlFnLx_YVE

Are we supposed to be impressed by your Alma Mater or current employer? Does that give your religious bigotry some kind of legitimacy?

Seems like we have our own madrases.
If you equate these kids with some of the madrases we've seen on television, you should fit right in at State. I find it really interesting how people who speak the most on the evils of intolerance are often themselves, the most intolerant.

Water Closet
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Are we supposed to be impressed by your Alma Mater our current employer? Does that give your religious bigotry some kind of legitimacy?

If you equate these kids with some of the madrases we've seen on television, you should fit right in at State. I find it really interesting how people who speak the most on the evils of intolerance are often themselves, the most intolerant.

You need some context. I neither graduated from Berkley nor do I work at the State Department (who works for the government but slugs). Megs, in his own world, has accused (guessed) that regarding me over the past year, as he has guessed similar things about Linda.

It's interesting how, when presenting perfect examples of intolerance -- Harry Potter should be executed (an actual quote, btw) -- people are themselves accused of being intolerant. Yes, I'm intolerant regarding those who would use government power to impose their desert-based religious views on me. Mea culpa.

expat-pattaya
05-20-2009, 11:31 PM
WC,

You know, I usually stay out of religious arguments cause I am an atheist. Candidly, I don't give a damn what anyone needs to believe to get through life. Islam, Jesus, Buddha, whatever.

But if you think the madrases, which teach hate, intolerance, and extol violence as a method of converting the world compare to ANYTHING Christian then you lose your card as a person worth reading.

Will you retract that ridiculous comparison? People can make mistakes. Was that one?

hazlnut
05-20-2009, 11:43 PM
WC,

You know, I usually stay out of religious arguments cause I am an atheist. Candidly, I don't give a damn what anyone needs to believe to get through life. Islam, Jesus, Buddha, whatever.

But if you think the madrases, which teach hate, intolerance, and extol violence as a method of converting the world compare to ANYTHING Christian then you lose your card as a person worth reading.

Will you retract that ridiculous comparison? People can make mistakes. Was that one?

Promises, promises...

What a tease!

megimoo
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
You need some context. I neither graduated from Berkley nor do I work at the State Department (who works for the government but slugs). Megs, in his own world, has accused (guessed) that regarding me over the past year, as he has guessed similar things about Linda.

It's interesting how, when presenting perfect examples of intolerance -- Harry Potter should be executed (an actual quote, btw) -- people are themselves accused of being intolerant. Yes, I'm intolerant regarding those who would use government power to impose their desert-based religious views on me. Mea culpa.I wasn't aware that you and the Nazi were a thing, perhaps I should drop the charges against her for witchcraft .

Tell the bartender to change the channel and have something to eat to blot up the drugs.What's this thing you have for Potter ?Are you in your tripping an old graduate of Hogwarts University ?

If you start casting spells in that bar they will dump you quick and leave you without an abode during the daytime.Do you find the level of cultural exchange here to be more to your liking than your own site ?

Ask the barkeep to find a cultural channel that will show some Frankish history,perhaps something on the French King Henry the second and Single malt your day away in bliss .If the bar has a DVD player you could bring a Few Harry Potters with you Or better yet you could Wi_Fi your BlackBerry to the TV !

By the by I too find Francois Rabelais to be very crude .I much prefer
Honoré de Balzac's droll stories or Guy de Maupassant the graveyard sisterhood,Cuckold, A Coup D'etat

wilbur
05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Not like the madrases?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5lidx_jesus-camp-part-1_news

Skip to minute 10 and watch this woman fawn over the effectiveness of Islamic indoctrination.... and admits to trying to emulate their radicalism.... but she has the truth, or so she says... so its all good.

hazlnut
05-21-2009, 01:24 AM

In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.

That was a great documentary. I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but there does seem to be an anti-education, anti-college vibe among some Christian groups. I mean the Harry Potter books got kids reading--let's keep our kids from reading and thinking. I just think they are limiting their kids options in life when they stop them from reading great books and teach them that dinosaurs were around 5000 years ago.

Another great film you should check out is called Hell House. It is about a Evangelical haunted house attraction where kids audition to play the abortion girl and aids patient who are dragged off to hell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301235/

You can watch it on Netflix.

CueSi
05-21-2009, 01:38 AM

Well,some drugs DO leave you with a monkey on your back. Watch another one of A&E/Bio channels offerings. . .Intervention. Those people suffer badly, along with their families. You can't tell me that at some point, the drugs stop being fun and hold on deeply, like a monkey on your back. Some sins DO lead to holding onto something dangerous in an untenable position... the abuse of the body via hard drug use definitely can be one of them.

If you don't know the background or anything about this documentary, why make the judgment? I understand if you've got an ought against Christianity, but based on your posts, your beliefs don't offer an alternative other than being judgmental in the other direction...post/anti-Christian judgementalism is still judgementalism, except the lines are a hell of a lot more arbitrary.

Madrassas? Seriously. . .when I see them sending kids as suicide bombers, you may have a point.

Your scare comparison just sounds like "EEEEKKK! A CHRISTIAN!"

<spit>

Pussy.

~QC

Water Closet
05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
WC,

When I see a cute little girl saying she wants to go out and kill people who don't believe in her god, I think the comparison is valid. Clearly within Christianity, such teachings are not anywhere near as prevelant as they are in the organized madrasses of Islam. However, in places like that shown in the film, the seeds do exist.

Water Closet
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
I wasn't aware that you and the Nazi were a thing, perhaps I should drop the charges against her for witchcraft .

Tell the bartender to change the channel and have something to eat to blot up the drugs.What's this thing you have for Potter ?Are you in your tripping an old graduate of Hogwarts University ?

If you start casting spells in that bar they will dump you quick and leave you without an abode during the daytime.Do you find the level of cultural exchange here to be more to your liking than your own site ?

Ask the barkeep to find a cultural channel that will show some Frankish history,perhaps something on the French King Henry the second and Single malt your day away in bliss .If the bar has a DVD player you could bring a Few Harry Potters with you Or better yet you could Wi_Fi your BlackBerry to the TV !

By the by I too find Francois Rabelais to be very crude .I much prefer
Honoré de Balzac's droll stories or Guy de Maupassant the graveyard sisterhood,Cuckold, A Coup D'etat

megs, I gotta tell ya'. After reading your post (or attempting to, at least), I'd be wary if I were you of warning others of the dangers of drugs or alcohol. :D

noonwitch
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
I saw Jesus Camp a while ago on cable. It's a good documentary, but it is not fair to paint all evangelicals and even all fundamentalists or pentecostals with the same brush as this one. To be honest, I thought Becky Fisher was brilliant, with a real gift for teaching children and youth. It is unfortunate she has such demented beliefs that she was conveying to them through her gift.

Shortly after I saw it, for example, at DU someone had posted a topic about the movie. Another poster compared his Young Life camp experience with that movie. I thought that was total BS, I was involved in YL in high school and it was fun. It was definitely evangelical, but there was more of an emphasis on the "God Loves You" message, not so much on the eternal fires of hell thing. I also went to a camp in Colorado, and it was one of the most fun experiences of my teen years. My beliefs have evolved since I was 16, and I am a liberal christian, but I value the experiences I had with Young Life and believe that the love of God worked through the adult leaders to help kids like me get through adolescence.

One of my favorite things to do online is check out church websites, of all denominations and backrounds. Here's one I found in my hometown that I thought looked interesting-a somewhat liberal, evangelical church, that I found through the Sojourner's website:

www.marshill.org

Sometime when I'm in Grand Rapids on a Sunday morning, I might go check it out. It's at the old Grand Village Mall.

Gingersnap
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
All belief systems or organized training systems (not just religions) have some weird or radical expressions. You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either. I'm talking about some seriously weird "team building" stuff. The cheerleaders did the same kinds of things at their camp. Anybody on the outside looking in would have been amused, astonished, or revolted by turns.

Anybody who has done Outward Bound or any kind of similar survival training will be able to add to the scary/goofy story library. It's a good thing those organizations don't allow cameras or the whole bunch of them would be jailed for.....something. But the training is truly excellent.

I'm sure I would find a documentary about a progressive environmental camp (yes, they have them) to be horrifying. I once left a three day yoga seminar due the High Weirdness and I'm not exactly easily spooked. :eek:

Rockntractor
05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either.
O no band camp! This is taking away from my imaginary image of you. Strawberry blonde, perfect body, splash of freckles. Is there a tuba in this picture and a chubby little girl just wanting to be noticed.

noonwitch
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
All belief systems or organized training systems (not just religions) have some weird or radical expressions. You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either. I'm talking about some seriously weird "team building" stuff. The cheerleaders did the same kinds of things at their camp. Anybody on the outside looking in would have been amused, astonished, or revolted by turns.

Anybody who has done Outward Bound or any kind of similar survival training will be able to add to the scary/goofy story library. It's a good thing those organizations don't allow cameras or the whole bunch of them would be jailed for.....something. But the training is truly excellent.

I'm sure I would find a documentary about a progressive environmental camp (yes, they have them) to be horrifying. I once left a three day yoga seminar due the High Weirdness and I'm not exactly easily spooked. :eek:

I went to "band camp", although I was in orchestra (violin). I went to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp twice, and to the All-State program at Interlochen (the Hogwarts of the music world). I know what you mean.

The stuff Becky Fisher had the kids doing in the movie was extreme by anyone's standard-it was the whole "warriors for Christ" speech taken very seriously by both the teacher and the children. If someone who has little exposure to evangelical christianity saw this movie, he wouldn't understand just how extreme this camp program was. As I said, this was not your typical evangelical kids' camp.

The ministers brought the children, some of them pretty young, to an anti-abortion protest in DC. All the participants put duct tape over their mouths. The same ministers sent the kids to witness to people in a public park in DC, also, and there was this little girl named Rachel who was about 7 or 8 who was walking up to strangers to tell them about Jesus. I really don't have a problem with street preachers, but I don't think that it is a safe thing to have young kids doing, either. I hope they were just doing it for the cameras, since having a film crew around probably made it a little safer for the kids.

There are evangelical teens and young adults who do outreach in Detroit in some pretty scary areas, but they are older, and many are adults.

Gingersnap
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
O no band camp! This is taking away from my imaginary image of you. Strawberry blonde, perfect body, splash of freckles. Is there a tuba in this picture and a chubby little girl just wanting to be noticed.

No, we didn't have any fat kids in band when I played. How could a fat kid spend two hours of drill in 90 degree heat? Besides, the uniforms didn't go up that big.

Rockntractor
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
No, we didn't have any fat kids in band when I played. How could a fat kid spend two hours of drill in 90 degree heat? Besides, the uniforms didn't go up that big.
Thank you my imaginary picture is safe then.

linda22003
05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Thank you my imaginary picture is safe then.

You notice she didn't deny a tuba, though.

Rockntractor
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/SuperStock_1439R-1092120.jpg?t=1242917895

Gingersnap
05-21-2009, 11:07 AM

I played sax most of the time. I did help out on trombone sometimes since I could play one but my instrument was primarily the sax.

Now, let's stop speculating about my traumatic band experiences and get back to the widespread kookiness you find a lot of organizations. :p

Odysseus
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
.... (who works for the government but slugs).
Ahem... MarineJcksn and I would like to have a little word with you...

I'm sure I would find a documentary about a progressive environmental camp (yes, they have them) to be horrifying. ...
Camp counselor (a term of authority, but gender neutral and thus not offensively patriarchal) speaks: "Okay, children of all genders, to include GBLs and Ts, we are going to spend today making preliminary injunctions in arts, crafts and activism class, then we'll go to the edge of the woods and use the injunctions to protect Gaia from the predatory hikers and campers. Bring your vegan recyclable lunch bags and we'll start gathering grass for our mid-morning snack... " :eek::D

I'm sure that some of the kids started out fat, but like basic training, they got thinner as time went on.

megimoo
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
megs, I gotta tell ya'. After reading your post (or attempting to, at least), I'd be wary if I were you of warning others of the dangers of drugs or alcohol. :DSprint and Drift, Sprint and Drift. Do try and keep up !

Water Closet
05-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I saw Jesus Camp a while ago on cable. It's a good documentary, but it is not fair to paint all evangelicals and even all fundamentalists or pentecostals with the same brush as this one. To be honest, I thought Becky Fisher was brilliant, with a real gift for teaching children and youth. It is unfortunate she has such demented beliefs that she was conveying to them through her gift.

Sort of like it's not fair to compare all "muzzies" with those who attacked the WTC?

Lars1701a
05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Sort of like it's not fair to compare all "muzzies" with those who attacked the WTC?

No you are wrong most muzzies do compare to the ones that attacked us.

On edit: how many Christians do know that plowed planes in any building? or worn a bomb vest? can you name me 2 in the last half century?

Water Closet
05-21-2009, 06:07 PM
No you are wrong most muzzies do compare to the ones that attacked us.

That simply shows you don't know very much aboiut Muslims.

On edit: how many Christians do know that plowed planes in any building? or worn a bomb vest? can you name me 2 in the last half century?

OK, although different tactics, same results of killing numerous innocent civilians -- Protestants and Catholics in Norther Ireland. Easy, want some more?

Lars1701a
05-21-2009, 06:10 PM
That simply shows you don't know very much aboiut Muslims.

OK, although different tactics, same results of killing numerous innocent civilians -- Protestants and Catholics in Norther Ireland. Easy, want some more?

Were they suicide bombers?

That was more political then religious.(in Ireland) They were fighting for their own right for self governance, while muzzies want nothing more then to convert you to their beliefs and are willing to kill to do it.

Read the Koran a bit, it kind of goes on about killing people who dont want to convert.

Water Closet
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Were they suicide bombers?

That was more political then religious.(in Ireland) They were fighting for their own right for self governance, while muzzies want nothing more then to convert you to their beliefs and are willing to kill to do it.

Read the Koran a bit, it kind of goes on about killing people who dont want to convert.

No, they just planted the bombs in civilian areas then ran away. As to whether it was political or religious, we could debate that. For example, did Protestants bomb Protestants? Did Catholics bomb Catholics? However, tell that to the dead; I'm sure it will be a comfort.

I've read large chunks of the Qur'an and all of the OT. There's a lot of weirdness in both.

Lars1701a
05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
No, they just planted the bombs in civilian areas then ran away. As to whether it was political or religious, we could debate that. For example, did Protestants bomb Protestants? Did Catholics bomb Catholics? However, tell that to the dead; I'm sure it will be a comfort.

I've read large chunks of the Qur'an and all of the OT. There's a lot of weirdness in both.

Well when the NT gets weird to you,you let me know. :rolleyes:

Until the muzzies go through a reformation like Christianity there will be tons more violence against non believers

MrsSmith
05-21-2009, 09:01 PM
If this were the Old Testament, Harry Potter would be executed

Harry Potter is fictional. Even in Old Testament times, they didn't kill fictional people. :D

hazlnut
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Harry Potter is fictional. Even in Old Testament times, they didn't kill fictional people. :D

Well said, MrsSmith.

wouldn't it be brilliant if a kid at one of those camps could raise his hand and point that out to the director or pastor?

Water Closet
05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Watching this again this morning on A&E as my girlfriend, coming from the abroad, is fascinated by American religious cults. Last week, I came into the show about 15 minutes late and didn't see what has to be the funniest bit. This blonde, middle-aged woman is in front of a bunch of kids and starts talking about today's lazy Christians. She goes on about how fat they get from eating too much and the fact that Muslims actually fast during Ramadan! Here's a photo of the person criticizing everyone else for being "fat and lazy"...

http://www.kidology.org/uploads/zones/jesuscamp_photo05.jpg

And who says Christians don't have a sense of humour. :D

megimoo
05-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Watching this again this morning on A&E as my girlfriend, coming from the abroad, is fascinated by American religious cults. Last week, I came into the show about 15 minutes late and didn't see what has to be the funniest bit. This blonde, middle-aged woman is in front of a bunch of kids and starts talking about today's lazy Christians. She goes on about how fat they get from eating too much and the fact that Muslims actually fast during Ramadan! Here's a photo of the person criticizing everyone else for being "fat and lazy"...

http://www.kidology.org/uploads/zones/jesuscamp_photo05.jpg

And who says Christians don't have a sense of humour. :DCome on CW your girlfriend has her by at least twenty pounds .Them Bosnia-Herzegovina Muslem woman go by the ton on the hoof.She had to pay extra for two seats on the flight just like last time right ?

You don't really have to import Them, The Connecticut Muslim Coalition, the Pew Research Center and the Hartford Seminary estimate at least 100,000 Muslims live in Connecticut.

Water Closet
05-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Come on CW your girlfriend has her by at least twenty pounds .Them Bosnia-Herzegovina Muslem woman go by the ton on the hoof.She had to pay extra for two seats on the flight just like last time right ?

You don't really have to import Them, The Connecticut Muslim Coalition, the Pew Research Center and the Hartford Seminary estimate at least 100,000 Muslims live in Connecticut.

Megs, megs, megs. Again, you're wrong (as usual). My girlfriend is not Muslim, not from Bosnia-Herzegovina, not fat. But, given your track record, that's a good percentage for you.

However, most Bosniak women I've met were not particularly overweight, possibly due to the conditions they endured as children, possibly due to the lack of Burger King franchises. Moreover, the point of my post was not that the woman is a blimp, it's that she's a blimp criticizing all you "fat, lazy Christians." There's a word for that, hyp... Wait, I know! She's got a thyroid problem!!! Thank, Jesus!

As to the number of Muslims in CT, I'm not sure if that number, given the population of the state, is particularly high or low. I actually don't see many Muslims in Hartford (or Stamford). Hartford, otoh, has a significant Puerto Rican population.