PDA

View Full Version : Obama May Grab for Guns

patriot45
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Hopefully they will fail, but gosh darn they will keep trying to take away gun rights! They even want to go after reloaders, and I just bought all the equipment to reload for my 270! I gotta hurry.

Bang (http://townhall.com/columnists/JillianBandes/2009/05/20/obama_may_grab_for_guns?page=full&comments=true)

President Obama voiced his support for an anti-gun treaty with such wide ranging implications that it could ban everything from assembling guns in kits to repackaging spent shells.

The treaty was signed by former President Clinton, but never approved by Congress. It has gained approval in 29 other countries. Obama put his weight behind it during his whirlwind tour abroad late last month.

Yesterday’s passage of legislation that revoked the longstanding ban on guns in national parks proved that this treaty would probably fall by the wayside once more, said Larry Provost, President of Gun Owners of America. But the fact that Obama voiced his support for it speaks volumes about the President’s view of the Second Amendment, after his famous claim to not “take away guns” from law-abiding Americans.

The treaty would “pretty clearly would require, without a whole lot of extrapolation, a regulation of all firearms in the United States,” said Provost.

Called the “Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives and Other Related Materials,” the legislation’s bans are multitudinous:

The manufacture or assembly of firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials: a. from components or parts illicitly trafficked; or b. without a license from a competent governmental authority of the State Party where the manufacture or assembly takes place: or c. without marking the firearms that require marking at the time of manufacture.

These sweeping regulations could affect everything from BB guns to toy guns, and could even prevent the individual re-loading of guns by the owners themselves. It could potentially require matching insignia on bullets and shells, meaning that re-use of cases would be illegal – a practice that is more common during a recession.

Continued (President Obama voiced his support for an anti-gun treaty with such wide ranging implications that it could ban everything from assembling guns in kits to repackaging spent shells.)

Odysseus
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Hopefully they will fail, but gosh darn they will keep trying to take away gun rights! They even want to go after reloaders, and I just bought all the equipment to reload for my 270! I gotta hurry.

Bang (http://townhall.com/columnists/JillianBandes/2009/05/20/obama_may_grab_for_guns?page=full&comments=true)

Continued (President Obama voiced his support for an anti-gun treaty with such wide ranging implications that it could ban everything from assembling guns in kits to repackaging spent shells.)

This could be very bad. Congress can sidestep constitutional protections by implementing treaty requirements. It's an established precedent based on the Migratory Bird Act and the Migratory Bird Treaty, the former having been declared unconstitutional, the latter was ratified and the court declared that because it was a treaty obligation, not a domestic legal act, it was enforceable.

aerojarod
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
And that's why I'm going for my pistol permit certification on June 7th.

I just hope I can get all the licensing and paperwork filed and approved by the State and Local Municipality in a timely manner.

Prolly won't be able to find any ammo once I finally get a pistol, though. :p

BadCat
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
If you could find reloading components, you maybe could do some reloading.

Once fired brass - scarce.
Primers - all except 209 shotgun - almost impossible to find.
.22 calibre bullets in AR-15 weights - gone.
Powder - pistol and rifle cuts - very hard to find.

And, as an example of the demand for ammo, on 5/10, Aim Surplus received an entire semi-truck full of Wolf Ammo. It went on sale on 5/11.

It was all gone on 5/13.

noonwitch
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Okay, but you will still be able to carry them in national parks, according to another article I saw posted.

Gingersnap
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Okay, but you will still be able to carry them in national parks, according to another article I saw posted.

Without ammo, they're kind of symbolic. Bears don't do 'symbolic". :D

Odysseus
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
And that's why I'm going for my pistol permit certification on June 7th.
I just hope I can get all the licensing and paperwork filed and approved by the State and Local Municipality in a timely manner.
Prolly won't be able to find any ammo once I finally get a pistol, though. :p
I'd stick to common military calibers, which are 5.56mm, 7.62mm (NATO or AK, depending, but AK ammo is usually pretty available even though we don't use it, and while 7.62 NATO is less common than it used to be, there's still a lot around) and 9mm. That way, if things go really south (and with the economic policies that we're seeing, that's entirely possible) you'll be able to replenish from military sources. I've got a .22 cal rifle with a couple of bricks of ammo, so that's not a problem, same with my shotgun, but I don't have any handguns and I'm thinking seriously that this is the time to get one. Got to work on the Mrs.

Without ammo, they're kind of symbolic. Bears don't do 'symbolic". :D
Neither do criminals.

Jfor
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
All of my weapons use NATO ammo.