PDA

View Full Version : Dems Block GOP Demands of Pelosi Probe

AHeneen
05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Dems Swat Down GOP Demand for Probe of Pelosi CIA Claims

ASHINGTON -- House Democrats on Thursday defeated a Republican push to investigate House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's claims that the CIA misled her in 2002 about whether waterboarding had been used against terrorism suspects.

The House voted 252-172 to block the measure that would have created a bipartisan congressional panel. Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, sponsored the resolution.

"This is partisan politics and an attempt by the Republicans to distract from the real issue of creating jobs and making progress on health care, energy and education," said Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami.

Pelosi was not present at the time of the vote. Republicans called for the vote on Thursday, while she was giving a commencement speech at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

Earlier this month, Pelosi told reporters that she had not been told that waterboarding had been used against terrorism suspects, even though it had been. President Barack Obama and human rights groups have said waterboarding, which simulates drowning, is torture.

"To have this charge out there and not have it resolved I think is damaging to our intelligence efforts, and certainly will have a chilling effect on our intelligence professionals around the world," said House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney also stepped into the debate.

In a speech at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, Cheney said Pelosi and other lawmakers had been briefed on the interrogation techniques on "numerous occasions."

The CIA has sent lawmakers its notes and memos on 40 congressional briefings on the interrogation techniques. But that document has been found to include several errors.

CIA Director Leon Panetta acknowledged in a May 6 letter to House Intelligence Committee Chairman Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, that the CIA's list may not be completely accurate.

Democrats are pointing out that Republicans too have accused the CIA of misleading them on intelligence matters. Boehner himself called into question the soundness of the intelligence community when it determined in 2007 that Tehran had halted its nuclear weapons program.

From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/21/house-gop-demand-probe-pelosi-cia-claims/?test=latestnews)

patriot45
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
#1 if this were a Republican he would have been forced to resign, by first the press coupled with thier allegiance with the dims, then because of the media hoopla we would have him resign.
With a dim being accused it just will turn into a playground fight. These idiots on both sides will point fingers at each other until a new shiny toy comes along to let them vent thier false outrage!

Odysseus
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Here's the thing that infuriates me about Pelosi:

She knew that waterboarding wasn't torture. She also knew that it had been used on a grand total of three detainees, and that one of them had given up Khalid Sheik Mohammed under waterboarding. All of her BS about torture and the fake abuses committed by us was grandstanding to score political points while undermining the actions of troops in the field. She encouraged Al Qaeda to continue the fight because they knew that prominent members of congress were doing everything that they could to lose the war. How many jihadis continued the fight because of her? How many people died in IED attacks and ambushes because she gave hope to the bad guys? Remember, the insurgency didn't just kill Americans, they killed civilians thoughout Iraq and Afghanistan, deliberately targeting women and children in order to increase the terror. How many lives, American and Arab, were sacrificed on the altar of her ambitions?

She's beyond despicable.

lacarnut
05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Here's the thing that infuriates me about Pelosi:

She knew that waterboarding wasn't torture. She also knew that it had been used on a grand total of three detainees, and that one of them had given up Khalid Sheik Mohammed under waterboarding. All of her BS about torture and the fake abuses committed by us was grandstanding to score political points while undermining the actions of troops in the field. She encouraged Al Qaeda to continue the fight because they knew that prominent members of congress were doing everything that they could to lose the war. How many jihadis continued the fight because of her? How many people died in IED attacks and ambushes because she gave hope to the bad guys? Remember, the insurgency didn't just kill Americans, they killed civilians thoughout Iraq and Afghanistan, deliberately targeting women and children in order to increase the terror. How many lives, American and Arab, were sacrificed on the altar of her ambitions?

She's beyond despicable.

I am with you. Her punishment for treason should be death by a firing squad. However, we would have to shoot a number of prominent Democratic politicians such as Kerry.

Rockntractor
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I am with you. Her punishment for treason should be death by a firing squad. However, we would have to shoot a number of prominent Democratic politicians such as Kerry.

And you would object to that?

AmPat
05-24-2009, 12:22 AM
"This is partisan politics and an attempt by the Republicans to distract from the real issue of creating jobs and making progress on health care, energy and education," said Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami.Apparently the only time our Congress can bother with doing more than one thing at a time is when they have 30 or 40concurrent investigations of Republicans. :rolleyes:

The CIA has sent lawmakers its notes and memos on 40 congressional briefings on the interrogation techniques. But that document has been found to include several errors.
Translation: It in fact does prove that Pelousy is a liar but our strategy will be to object to the typos and grammatical errors in hope that the people will assume the errors are much more serious.:mad:

Odysseus
05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Her actions are treasonous in intent, but that's a hard case to make. It's not illegal to be a demogogue. She is certainly guilty of making a false accusation which will result in extensive investigative costs, and she ought to be held liable for that false accusation, which would be a crime if she were to repeat it under oath. Unfortunately, there's no branch of government not under the control of her party which would have the power to subpeona her. As for Kerry, his claim that he knew of war crimes, including murder and mutilations, makes him guilty of conspiracy to commit those acts, since there's no record of his having made any effort to bring the perpetrators to justice while he was an officer in the US Navy, and had an obligation to do so. There is no statute of limitations on murder. If, on the other hand, his statements before congress were false, then the statute of limitations on perjury applies and he would have no risk of prosecution. If I were in the executive branch, I'd subpeona him, put him under oath and demand that he name the perpetrators of the war crimes that he claimed firsthand knowledge of. He'd probably get reelected even if he admitted that his previous testimony was a sham, but it would destroy his credibility outside of Massachussetts.

Apparently the only time our Congress can bother with doing more than one thing at a time is when they have 30 or 40concurrent investigations of Republicans. :rolleyes:

Translation: It in fact does prove that Pelousy is a liar but our strategy will be to object to the typos and grammatical errors in hope that the people will assume the errors are much more serious.:mad:

Yep. It's amazing what sticklers for grammer and punctuation the media and Democrats become when it's a liberal who's been incriminated. As Johnny Cochran might have put it, "If the parsing don't fit, you must acquit."

Teetop
05-24-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQv7YZxCEc

Lying Bitch.

NJCardFan
05-24-2009, 03:19 PM
This should surprise no one. The Democrats have been caught in one lie after another since PrezBo took office. And the silence from the media for the most part has been deafening. This will get quickly broomed under the rug. This is why I thank God for Fox News. If we didn't have them, none of this crap would ever get known. I'm glad Fox has a conservative bias. Otherwise the leftist media would just sit on this. Sadly, the sheep in this country won't care enough.

"This is partisan politics and an attempt by the Republicans to distract from the real issue of creating jobs and making progress on health care, energy and education," said Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami.
*sigh* Every time these people trot this out. Thy can save a lot of time just by simply placing a tape recorder on the podium and hitting play as all they do is trot out this same old tired rhetoric. To me all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher. Of course, regarding the statement above, not one thing said is, by the Constitution, a function of government.