PDA

View Full Version : Silver Comet killer sentenced to death

Perilloux
05-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Silver Comet killer sentenced to death (http://www.ajc.com/print/content/metro/cobb/stories/2009/05/22/silver_comet_sentencing.html)
Victim’s husband: ‘The sentence they handed down was the right sentence’

By RHONDA COOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, May 22, 2009

Silver Comet Trail murderer Michael Ledford was sentenced Friday to death by lethal injection for the 2006 killing of Sandy Springs cyclist Jennifer Ewing. Paulding County Judge James Osborne set Ledford’s execution date between July 1 and July 8, but it is automatically stayed because Georgia law requires an appeal of death sentences.

<<Snip<<

Ewing had just passed the 32nd mile on a 50-mile ride on the popular Silver Comet Trail, a ride she took five times a week, when Ledford ambushed her in an isolated spot on the path in Paulding County. Ledford dragged her 70 feet off the trail and tried to force her to perform oral sex on him. But she bit him instead, sending him into a rage.

The autopsy showed he brutally beat the 53-year-old Sandy Springs mother, pounding her with his fist at least 30 times and stomping her twice, leaving footprints on her chest and side. He crushed her nose and larynx and broke several ribs. In 25-30 minutes she smothered because her chest was crushed.

The next morning, on July 26, 2006, searchers found her nude and battered body on a mound of kudzu partially hidden by vines and leaves.

Good. I've been following this case since it happened. Glad to see the jury came back with the right verdict.

Bubba Dawg
05-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm glad this vile POS got the death penalty.

Miz Bubba and I ride Rails to Trails paths (like the Silver Comet) often and enjoy them very much. Thing is, we both always go armed. We have concealed carry permits and have snub-nosed revolvers in easy reach when we are riding. We also go heeled when we are hiking because scumbags lurk on the AT as well as bike trails or anywhere else.

It was very sad about this lady who was killed. Reminds me of the hiker who was kidnapped and killed on the AT in Georgia a couple of years ago.

The world is a dangerous place, even if you happen to be in a really beautiful place, gotta keep your powder dry.