PDA

View Full Version : Arnies mad!

Rockntractor
05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Governor plans to completely eliminate welfare for families
3:58 PM | May 21, 2009

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is proposing to completely eliminate the state’s welfare program for families, medical insurance for low-income children and Cal Grants cash assistance to college and university students.

The proposals to sharply scale back the assistance that California provides to its neediest residents came in testimony by the administration this afternoon at a joint legislative budget committee hearing. It followed comments by the governor earlier today that he would be withdrawing a proposal to help balance the budget with billions of dollars of borrowing and replacing it with program reductions.

The proposals would completely reshape the state’s social service network, transforming California from one of the country’s most generous states to one of the most tightfisted. The proposals are intended to help close a budget deficit estimated at $21.3 billion.

—Eric Bailey

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/schwarzenegger-make-massive-cuts-to-welfare-health-care-student-aid-.html

djones520
05-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Certainly won't score him any points in the polls.

megimoo
05-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Certainly won't score him any points in the polls.
He's just trying to make it more painful for the taxpayers to refuse to pay more taxes by holding the needy and the not so needy hostages ,If he really were to pulls this he will be up to his ass in law suits !

FlaGator
05-22-2009, 11:09 PM
He's just trying to make it more painful for the taxpayers to refuse to pay more taxes by holding the needy and the not so needy hostages ,If he really were to pulls this he will be up to his ass in law suits !

I'm not sure what the grounds would be for law suits. There is no guarantee for the services that I can think of.

Rockntractor
05-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Arnie is bluffing now but in the not to distant future this may actually happen nation wide. No welfare checks no unemployment, social security, military pay. I read on drudge tonight we are about to lose our triple a credit rating that means no more barrowing money. We could have complete upheaval around the corner. I’m not joking so much about this one. It’s getting ready to come down. God help us!

megimoo
05-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure what the grounds would be for law suits. There is no guarantee for the services that I can think of.You can sue for any reason you care to .Some court will take the case and run with it !

lacarnut
05-23-2009, 01:19 AM
You can sue for any reason you care to .Some court will take the case and run with it !

Can you imagine how far the removal of social services will get in the 9th circuit?

Arnie--that jet that you fly back and forth to work in should be sold. Start at the top in cutting the budget rather than the bottom. That's where the real money is.

samurai
05-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Can you imagine how far the removal of social services will get in the 9th circuit?

Arnie--that jet that you fly back and forth to work in should be sold. Start at the top in cutting the budget rather than the bottom. That's where the real money is.

He's also announced he's cutting the salaries of Congress by 18%, starting next year.

megimoo
05-23-2009, 04:26 AM
He's also announced he's cutting the salaries of Congress by 18%, starting next year.I'm all for executions of all the congress begining tomorrow. Several every day starting with Reid and Pelosi !Bring back guillotine a leaf spring powered high tech version .

History repeats itself ."Pre-revolution

Financial crisis
Louis XVI ascended to the throne amidst a financial crisis; the nation was nearing bankruptcy and outlays outpaced income. This was because of France’s involvement in the Seven Years War and its participation in the "first" American Revolution.

In May 1776, finance minister Turgot was dismissed, after he lost favour. The next year, Jacques Necker, a foreigner, was appointed Director-General of Finance. He was not made a minister because he was a Protestant, and could not become a naturalized French citizen.

Necker realized that the country's tax system subjected some to an unfair burden; numerous exemptions existed for the nobility and clergy. He argued that the country could not be taxed higher, that the nobles and clergy should not be exempt from taxes, and proposed that borrowing would solve the country's fiscal problems.

Necker published a report to support this claim that underestimated the deficit by roughly 36,000 livres; and proposed restricting the spending power of the parlements.

This was not received well by King's ministers and Necker, hoping to solidify his position, argued to be accepted as a minister. The King refused, Necker was fired, and Charles Alexandre de Calonne was appointed to the Directorship.

Calonne initially spent liberally, but he quickly realized the critical financial situation and put forth a new tax code. The proposal included a consistent land tax, which would include taxation of the nobility and clergy, and the meeting of the Estates was planned for May 1789; a signal that the Bourbon monarchy was no longer absolute.

FlaGator
05-23-2009, 06:52 AM
You can sue for any reason you care to .Some court will take the case and run with it !

Suing the state different than suing an individual. Most suits against the state get tossed out before they go anywhere unless they have merit. Remember, the state decides who can and can't sue the state.

Odysseus
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Arnie is bluffing now but in the not to distant future this may actually happen nation wide. No welfare checks no unemployment, social security, military pay. I read on drudge tonight we are about to lose our triple a credit rating that means no more barrowing money. We could have complete upheaval around the corner. Iím not joking so much about this one. Itís getting ready to come down. God help us!

A drop in the US bond rating would be catastrophic. The national debt would increase dramatically as the cost of borrowing increased. We'd be forced to pay higher interest, and we may end up having to live within current revenues or default on obligations. A sudden drop in federal expenditures without any warning would be incredibly disruptive to the economy. There would be massive civiil unrest and the ones who'd be hit the hardest would be retirees, especially those who depend on Social Security and public pensions (think about all of those retired municipal, state and federal retirees who'd be suddenly left out in the cold). This would be the kind of cataclysmic event that could actually cause our government to fail.

lacarnut
05-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Suing the state different than suing an individual. Most suits against the state get tossed out before they go anywhere unless they have merit. Remember, the state decides who can and can't sue the state.

Yep, you have to get permission first to sue the state I live in. After 7 years, I along with a number of other employees are waiting for the court to grant a class action law suit for working in a contaminated building that the state was aware of. I am not holding my breath that this suit will ever see the light of day. The dumb ass lawyer should have sued only the owner of the building rather than both the lessee (state) and the owner. The owner has deep pockets.

Rockntractor
05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
A drop in the US bond rating would be catastrophic. The national debt would increase dramatically as the cost of borrowing increased. We'd be forced to pay higher interest, and we may end up having to live within current revenues or default on obligations. A sudden drop in federal expenditures without any warning would be incredibly disruptive to the economy. There would be massive civiil unrest and the ones who'd be hit the hardest would be retirees, especially those who depend on Social Security and public pensions (think about all of those retired municipal, state and federal retirees who'd be suddenly left out in the cold). This would be the kind of cataclysmic event that could actually cause our government to fail.

I agree with you. I am starting to see the hard reallity of this situation.

lacarnut
05-23-2009, 05:53 PM

I don't think the US AAA bond rating is in jeopardy in the short run but it could be in the long run. Several EU countries are in much worse shape than us. Plus, the dollar is still king among all the currencies.

No doubt that interest rates would go up especially if we could not find someone to finance our debt. China is getting antsy because of the way the Feds are flooding the market with dollars. Something will have to give, and I think inflation is around the corner. Buying gold seems like a good idea to me.

AlmostThere
05-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Add the impact the eruptions of the Craters of Laki had on Europe in the 1780's and it created the perfect storm in which the seeds of revolution could blossom.

Odysseus
05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Add the impact the eruptions of the Craters of Laki had on Europe in the 1780's and it created the perfect storm in which the seeds of revolution could blossom.

Yeah, but the French Revolution was far worse than what preceded it. Just because something is a change doesn't mean that it's an improvement.