PDA

View Full Version : Teachers union spends more money for politics than it does on schools

megimoo
05-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Teachers union spends more money for politics than it does on schools

The teachers unions are the most powerful unions in the country maybe the world. They are also so corrupt that they have managed to turn government school children into a bunch of mindless idiots.

The National Education Association members pay into a “Ballot Measure/Legislative Crises Fund” that allows the union to spend tens of millions of dollars on all state and national politics. In the 2007-08 fiscal year, the NEA spent $2.3 million on top of $1 million spent the previous fiscal year in which they were fighting a school voucher referendum in Utah. Those damn private schools! I hate it when parents want to have the choice of sending their kids to schools that actually care and want to teach their children.

The NEA finished 2007-08 with a surplus of nearly $5.9 million, which means the union will enter the 2008-09 school year with almost $20 million available to spend. And will they be spending that on the school children? Probably not.
Mike Antonucci of the Education Intelligence Agency, a longtime union watchdog, has tracked this fund's spending. In the 2007-08 fiscal year, not surprisingly, the NEA spent $2.3 million -- on top of $1 million spent the previous fiscal year -- fighting a school voucher referendum in Utah.

But other expenditures reveal this national NEA cash -- which is separate from PAC contributions that must adhere to federal campaign-finance laws -- as a fund for various and sundry left-wing political causes. Mr. Antonucci reports that during the current fiscal year the NEA sent the Hawaii State Teachers Association $20,000 to conduct polling on a state constitutional convention. It sent the Massachusetts Teachers Association $60,000 to oppose a state income-tax repeal. And it sent the Florida Education Association $200,000 to oppose property-tax cuts in the Sunshine State.

Expect more of the same going forward in a state near you. "Unlike most previous years," writes Mr. Antonucci, "NEA finished 2007-08 with a surplus of nearly $5.9 million, which means the union will enter the 2008-09 school year with almost $20 million available to spend." It's a shame the NEA doesn't spend as much money and effort trying to improve lousy schools as it does trying to keep taxes high.

http://kevincolby.com/2008/08/08/teachers-union-spends-more-money-for-politics-than-it-does-on-schools/

megimoo
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
The Subversion of Education in America: Lesson #1

I’ll bet you think that the problems with our nation’s schools are a fairly recent phenomenon. Wrong. It dates backs to the 1960’s. Those that have implemented the subversion of our educational system have sought to fly well below the radar of public awareness, depending on stealth and duplicity to achieve the wreckage that has already stunted the lives of thousands who have passed through it.
In this and three other commentaries, I will walk you through the history of the problem with the help of an extraordinary book, "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt. The facts I will share with you are found in a fat compendium of research by this former senior official with the US Department of Education who discovered the mother lode, copied it, and fled. She is one of America’s unsung heroes.
As Iserbyt points out, in the 1960’s "American education would henceforth concern itself with the importance of the group rather than with the importance of the individual." The purpose of education would shift to focus on the student’s emotional health, rather than academic learning. Remember the 1960’s? Sex, drugs and rock’n roll? Drop out, tune in, and turn on? Just about everything that is wrong with America today had its genesis in this pathetic decade of youthful self-indulgence."
In 1965, there were two major federal initiatives developed with funding from The Elementary and Secondary Education Act passed that year. One was the 1965-1969 Behavioral Science Teacher Education Program and the other was the publication by the government of "Pacesetters in Innovation", a 584-page catalogue of behavior modification programs to be used by the schools.

Let me repeat that: a catalogue of behavior modification programs! We’re not talking of programs to teach students anything. We are talking about programs to indoctrinate children passing through the system to believe in values contrary to those on which this nation was based.

In brief, the intention was to create a generation or two of Americans who would accept the United Nations, not the United States, as their new "nation", a global nation, one-world government. The last thing the conspirators wanted was a nation of individuals who could or would actually think for themselves. This is how we ended up with Bill Clinton, the classic student achiever of the 1960’s.

Iserbyt writes that, "In 1960, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s Convention Against Discrimination was signed in Paris. This convention laid the groundwork for control of American education—both public and private—by UN agencies and agents."
http://www.anxietycenter.com/subversion.htm

FlaGator
05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
But that is what unions do. The auto workers union doesn't spend money on building cars, they spend money lobbying management for more benefits for it's members. In this case, since teacher work so the government then their unions spend money lobbying the government for thing that protect the teacher's jobs. To expect different is to misunderstand the purpose of a union.

noonwitch
05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
But that is what unions do. The auto workers union doesn't spend money on building cars, they spend money lobbying management for more benefits for it's members. In this case, since teacher work so the government then their unions spend money lobbying the government for thing that protect the teacher's jobs. To expect different is to misunderstand the purpose of a union.

Sometimes, unions will have fundraisers for different causes related to the job. A teacher's union might have a fundaiser to buy a new toy for the playground or something like that. My union might have a fundraiser to buy Christmas presents for the children of laid off workers or something. We have blood drives, too, for the Red Cross.

AlmostThere
05-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Sometimes, unions will have fundraisers for different causes related to the job. A teacher's union might have a fundaiser to buy a new toy for the playground or something like that. My union might have a fundraiser to buy Christmas presents for the children of laid off workers or something. We have blood drives, too, for the Red Cross.

In regards to the impact on America the teacher's and autoworker's unions have, would you say the pluses outweigh the negatives?

megimoo
05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
In regards to the impact on America the teacher's and autoworker's unions have, would you say the pluses outweigh the negatives?
Teachers unions are closed shops in all states.If you teach you have no choice whether or not you chose to join you still have to pay dues to the union.In all states negotiated Teachers union contracts stipulate all teachers must be paying members in order to hold a teaching position .

They have formed political bonds with the Liberals and campaign for them at elections and are granted paid time off to attend the Liberal conventions and contribute to all liberal campaigns.Before they will support a candidate at the state or national level they demand and receive their guarantee they will support increased spending on education meaning more financial supports for the Unions .

Any cry for more money for the poor school children goes first towards salary increases for the union members and the PAC's the unions support ! With the teachers unions it's always 'for the children' while they consume the vast bulk of the school budgets in every city and town in America in pay and perks .

AlmostThere
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I have already formed opinions on the ills that I think unions have caused. But with the dear lady being a union member herself, I was curious as to her take on what benefit unions offer today.

noonwitch
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM

As far as agency (state)-wide issues go? No. As far as local office issues go, yes, the union representation is worth something. They can help you deal with difficult supervisors and office health and safety issues, among other things.

AlmostThere
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
As far as agency (state)-wide issues go? No. As far as local office issues go, yes, the union representation is worth something. They can help you deal with difficult supervisors and office health and safety issues, among other things.

I appreciate the candor but I was really referring to the pluses and minuses that the kids have experienced as a result of the teacher's unions and America as a whole as a result of unions in general.

noonwitch
05-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I appreciate the candor but I was really referring to the pluses and minuses that the kids have experienced as a result of the teacher's unions and America as a whole as a result of unions in general.

It's hard for me to judge. I went to schools where the teachers were all NEA members and I received an excellent education. Most of my peers went on to college. 1982 was a long time ago, but my old school district is still one of the top districts in Michigan (Kentwood Public Schools). I had 2 teachers who were horrible-my 3rd grade teacher was a bitch and my 8th grade science teacher was a lech. If my parents had taken it up, both would have been fired, union or not. The science teacher eventually messed with the wrong dad's girl and got fired.
Kentwood has changed in a lot of ways since 1982-it's almost doubled in population and has become more racially diverse since I moved east. There is more business development, and economic problems have not plagued metro Grand Rapids the same way they have done so in metro Detroit, and most are pretty recent. Detroit's economic problems go back way beyond the current crisis, and go back to the 70s and 80s. Kentwood still is a top-performing district, per U of M studies and the results of the MEAP tests.

The Detroit Public schools are terrible, and the teachers are AFT. In the post-WWII auto making boom time, the Detroit Public schools were among the best in the nation. It's hard to blame the state of the schools totally on the union. There are so many other factors-crime, economic issues, corruption in the school board, parents who don't follow up on their kids' educations, and so on.

Those are the two districts I have the most familiarity with. My sister lives in St. Joseph and likes their schools, but St. Joe is across the river from Benton Harbor, the poorest city in Michigan, and their schools are awful.

The main problem I have with teacher's unions is that they go on strike, sometimes over stupid things. I'm a government employee, and I am forbidden to go on strike. If I and my coworkers do so, we will all be replaced. I think that as public school teachers are also public employees, they shouldn't be allowed to strike.