PDA

View Full Version : Bush Jokes Okay, Obama Jokes - Not So Much.

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Rebuke for 'Obama assassination joke'Canada's public broadcaster has been criticised over a comedy skit that joked about the possible assassination of US president Barack Obama.

The "Bye Bye" comedy show, broadcast on the French-language Radio Canada network on New Year, also suggested the US president could be a thief.

The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council said on Monday the comments and sketches breached regulations and went "too far in terms of Canadian broadcast standards".

During a discussion on the show between the two hosts about Mr Obama's election victory, one said: "It will be good to have a Negro in the White House. It will be practical. Black on white, it will be easier to shoot him."

The show also featured an interview with an actor pretending to be Mr Obama during which one of the hosts declared: "The blacks, you all look alike," before warning viewers to hide their valuables.

When broadcast the shows attracted over 200 complaints. The producers defended the comments claiming they weren't racist and instead were meant to mock the characters making the offensive remarks.

The Canadian broadcasting watchdog, however, declared it had found "nothing redeeming in the allegedly comedic notion that an American president should be shot, still less that this would be easier to achieve because of the colour of the president's skin. It was a disturbing, wounding, abusive racial comment".

Those crazy Canucks!

View London (http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/rebuke-for-obama-assassination-joke-19185353.html)

Sonnabend
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
The Canadians are the ones that made "Death of a President" using the face of a sitting President in a film about assassination.

I'd tell them to STFU.

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
The Canadians are the ones that made "Death of a President" using the face of a sitting President in a film about assassination.

I'd tell them to STFU.

We'd rather screw them over using the softwoods issue. :)

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I love irreverent presidential/chief executive humor, no matter the nationality. Some things cross a line because of dreadful things that have actually happened, but I would not sanction anyone for such indiscretions.

Fuss and cuss, but that's all that should come of it...

And by the way, there is a tremendous thunderstorm going on around the Mountain as we speak...or type as it were. :eek:

Power has blipped and the satellite TV signal has gone, so I may not post much here tonight.

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 09:42 PM
I love irreverent presidential/chief executive humor, no matter the nationality. Some things cross a line because of dreadful things that have actually happened, but I would not sanction anyone for such indiscretions.

Fuss and cuss, but that's all that should come of it...

And by the way, there is a tremendous thunderstorm going on around the Mountain as we speak...or type as it were. :eek:

Power has blipped and the satellite TV signal has gone, so I may not post much here tonight.

Yeah, I totally feel your pain. We've had four days of torrential downpours and we're like 3 inches off a desert out here. My sat went out also.

Back to politics - the Canadians have a Hate Thought situation that we are contemplating doing here. There goes your "free speech" thingy.

Rockntractor
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I totally feel your pain. We've had four days of torrential downpours and we're like 3 inches off a desert out here. My sat went out also.

Back to politics - the Canadians have a Hate Thought situation that we are contemplating doing here. There goes your "free speech" thingy.
The internet czar is on the way. Did you read my tech post?

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
The internet czar is on the way. Did you read my tech post?

I did. Sadly.