PDA

View Full Version : Nuke just has to explode in space to destroy a country

megimoo
05-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Sunlight fills the bedroom. It's past 8 a.m., and it's cold. Why didn't the alarm go off? The bathroom lights are out. The house is without power. The battery-operated radio plays nothing but static. The phone is dead. What on earth has happened? In fact, what happened was not on Earth.

It was above it. A nuclear weapon has detonated high over North America, an explosion so far up that neither the flash nor bang disturbed anyone slumbering in darkened bedrooms across the United States. Electrical systems and computers from New York City to San Francisco cease to function. City...

http://www.heritage.org/press/commentary/ed041009a.cfm

SarasotaRepub
05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey!!! No one would ever want to do that to us!!! :rolleyes::D

AHeneen
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
This isn't anything new...we've known about this for years & I can recall posting a couple of links related to this earlier.

Don't worry about 0...AF1 is shielded against such an attack as well as most military equipment.

CorwinK
05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
This isn't anything new...we've known about this for years & I can recall posting a couple of links related to this earlier.

Don't worry about 0...AF1 is shielded against such an attack as well as most military equipment.

Sure most of the military equipment has some form of protection...but how does the military contact its people to get them into work immediately if the civilian phone network is down. Also...would an EMP blast render my car unusable?? I live a good 15-20 miles from the base......how am I supposed to get to my ship so that we can get underway...provided the blast didnt render half of the old equipment onboard useless? Im not saying im the most important person onboard...but my division is responsible for putting warheads on foreheads so were kinda necessary.

not belittling your response at all...but it is cause for concern, if somethin like that were to happen in the middle of the night, I wouldnt know about it till 9 or 10 in the morning when I woke up...seeing as the alarm clock wouldnt be working.

megimoo
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM

All of the Government fiber optic lines are immune but there is still a lot of copper that isn't shielded.How about all of those 'pole pigs' exploding and taking out power in vast sections of America.Every transformer in every piece of equipment will generate a surge of power high enough to destroy the equipment they are used in even if they aren't powered on .

AlmostThere
05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I wonder if Generation Twitter would finally realize there are actually bad people in this world when their X-Boxes, Playstations, and PC video games wouldn't fire up?

FlaGator
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Whitley Strieber wrote a book in the '80s called War Day that was based on just this event happening. Several triangulated nuclear detonations occur over the financial centers and hubs in the U.S. and U.S.S.R. effectively destroying the economies of both. Most of the computers and backups that contained the majority of the finanicial data of each country is erased or rendered unreadable.

megimoo
05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Whitley Strieber wrote a book in the '80s called War Day that was based on just this event happening. Several triangulated nuclear detonations occur over the financial centers and hubs in the U.S. and U.S.S.R. effectively destroying the economies of both. Most of the computers and backups that contained the majority of the finanicial data of each country is erased or rendered unreadable.
I've read several with the same general theme.I have also read that Wall street runs a pair of data centers one in New York City and the Other across the river in New Jersey. both with massively parallel processors and redundant disk farms .

They also have a third data center with a different computers,data base and a parallel structure as a backup in case of a common operating system software error.It runs in parallel with the other and is used in polling system errors .These centers are several levels below ground and shielded with multi layered isolated Faraday shields.

Their power sources are all isolated and self contained Diesel generators on site and are surge conditioned just like NORADS .All data and control lines are fiber optic and buffered by front end processors.With all of this there is still a chance of a super large EMP pulse causing significant damage !.

AHeneen
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Whitley Strieber wrote a book in the '80s called War Day that was based on just this event happening.

There was also the 1983 TV movie The Day After. You can see it in its entirety on YouTube, beginning with part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGEq9aipTAo&feature=PlayList&p=8AEE7DE6579BB242&index=15

Or you can just watch the attack segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA&feature=PlayList&p=8AEE7DE6579BB242&index=16